Rome in 2 1/2 days

Jun 3rd, 2006, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Rome in 2 1/2 days

Limited time in Rome...what are the must sees or walking/taxi routes to conquer this city? Looking for ruins, fountains, chapel and unique neighborhoods for arsty/quaint shopping or dining. Tell me about the Spanish Steps??
Jun 3rd, 2006, 12:55 PM

We found this website helpful as we plan our 2 days and 2 nights in Rome.

http://www.romaturismo.it/v2/romain4...in48ore_1.html

Enjoy your trip!

Jun 3rd, 2006, 01:28 PM

Also check Fodor's own 3-day itinerary on this site. You can adjust for your 2 1/2 days.
Jun 3rd, 2006, 01:39 PM

Hi islandmom, we had the same dilemma last year and finally accepted we could not see it all and just did what were first time must sees for us. The Colosseum, we booked a tour at the gate, 56 euros for a family of 4. Saved waiting in the long line and 1,5 hours was enough with time to wander around after. This tour was with Colosseum guides and included a free tour of the Palatine/Forum later that day ,however we did these on our own as we did not want to come back at 5pm for the free tour.

Piazza Navona and walk through to Trevi and onto Spanish Steps.We spent the evenings in P. Navona as well. We used Rick Steves to navigate our first walk from P.N to Trevi and it was helpful, in pointing out landmarks, findin gelato stores, Da Bafetto etc(awesome pizza)

The Vatican was also a must see, we got there aound 11am on a monday morning, no line to speak of and climbed the dome. Awesome. We were done around 3pm. I even managed to get some shopping time in later that day and evening.

I would have loved to see Borghese gardens and do an underground cistern tour, but the Colossuem, Palatine and Forum were the better part of a day.

We did the stroll from P.Navona, stopping at the Parthenon, as well and onto Trevi, S.steps on the day we arrived. Our hotel was in the P.navona area and I am glad we stayed in this area as it was great to walk around in the evening to go back to Trevi and partenon and S.Steps to soak up the nighttime atmosphere.

I hope I was of some help. In 2 days it is possible to see the highlights and get a pretty good feel of the place ,especially if you stay in Central location. we probably could have sqeezed in another sight ,but we were happy with what we accomplished in our short stay.

Jun 3rd, 2006, 03:18 PM
CU

Get on the 110 Stop and Go red bus for an overview of the city. Cost E13 and well worth it for those who are on a short stay.
Jun 3rd, 2006, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Books are piled on the desks as we speak. I like to hear if there is something new. Thanks for the help.
Jun 4th, 2006, 02:52 PM
CU

www.trambusopen.com might help
Jun 4th, 2006, 02:55 PM

Hi CU, you have posted the trambus website several times but I can't get it to "do anything". I was curious about it. I get to the website but can't open it for any information. Maybe it is down now. Best regards.
Jun 4th, 2006, 03:11 PM

Something new, you say. OK.

The Ara Pacis was reopened to the public on April 21 (I believe) in a new building designed by the American architect Richard Meier.

There is a new addition to the Capitoline Museum - I don't remember by whom - housing the bronze statue of Marcus Aurelius that used to be in the middle of the square. The statue in the square is now - and has been for years - a reproduction.

But I'm not sure that you'll get to either in 2 1/2 days.

P.S. The "artsy/quaint" shopping and dining is in the historical center - in the triangle formed by Piazza Navona, Campo de Fiori and the Pantheon or just outside it. The Spanish Steps area has very expensive designer boutiques and not much else.
Jun 4th, 2006, 04:15 PM

Borghese Gallery is wonderful. Trevi Fountain, of course.

Churches: Maria della Victoria (sp?) for Bernini/St. Teresa; and the church with Carravagio's Calling of St Matthew. I really wish I had time to see the illusionistic ceiling, ohmygosh I am so braindead right now - I can't remember the name - Ignazio?

When we were looking for the Spanish steps we stopped a very stylish Italian man who directed us to, in his words, "the steps of Spain". Before we asked him, we asked some Russian tourists. They wondered why we wanted to go there; they told us, "they're only steps".