Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it neccessary to book a day tour?? LONDON

Jun 4th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

I am heading to London in a couple of weeks and I am wondering if it is necessary to book organized day tours of the major sites. Are the lines horrible if I don't.(I am planning on doing the whole hop on and off bus tour on my first day to get a feel for what I want to see). Secondly, do I need to book any museum visits in advance? How about train travel for a day trip from London (i.e. Bath or Winsor Castle). Thanks.
Jun 4th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

OOPS! Sorry for the spelling error in the title!
Jun 4th, 2006, 12:10 PM
P_M

I don't think it's necessary to go on an organized tour at all unless you like to be rushed. Just buy a train ticket on the day you want to go and enjoy the day at your own pace. I do like your idea for the hop-on, hop-off bus on the first day.

Most museums in London are free, so I can't imagine any need to book anything in advance, unless you are going to a special exhibit.
Jun 4th, 2006, 02:32 PM

I took one of those half day things once, and said, in effect, barf!

Get a bus map and a tube map and a street map and a good guide book and decide where you want to go. Then figure out the route from where you are staying.

One thing I have found about Londoners: If you need help, just ask and someone will help. I have people go out of their way to help me, particularly at night.

I really feel you need to figure out the routes yourself because if you do the hop on hop off thing, you will be so turned around you will not know where you are anyhow, or how to find your way back.

I have navigated London several times with success. Never got on the wrong bus or the wrong tube train.

Maps and guide books are absolutely essential. A good Borders or Barnes and Noble should have more than one good guide book and at least one or two good street maps.

Jun 4th, 2006, 04:36 PM

There really aren't long lines (or any lines for that matter) anywhere except for the Towerof London and sometimes Westminster Abbey. You avoid the line at the Tower by getting there about 10 or 15 minutes before opening time - and buying your ticket at a tube station before you get to the Tower. At Westminster Abbey, you best bet is to get there 10-15 mins before it opens and avoiding it on a Saturday.

Since all of the main museums are free there are no ticket lines - you just walk in. Now, there are sometimes special exhibits at the major museums/galleries that might require advance booking. But not for the main museum itself.

I would never do Windsor or Bath as a tour. Why pay someone a LOT of money for what you can do cheaper on your own - and be on your own schedule -not on the tour bus' schedule.