Rome: Hotels San Carlo, Portoghesi, Teatro's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(This replaces the thread w/ the erroneous title)

Could you guys please give me your opinions on these hotels for our September trip to Rome/Paris?

ROME
San Carlo--165 std or 198 superior
Portoghesi--twin, 185 (email quote)
TeatroPace--190 double
Teatro di Pompeo--190 double

We had pretty well decided on the San Carlo based on its 165 euro rate for a std double and generally excellent reviews. but we are wondering if the standard dbl at the San Carlo will be satisfactory. We don't require luxury, but I hate the thought of being terribly cramped for a week. Our question is one of comparing rooms: How would a 165eu double at SC compare to a room at the others for 185-190eu?

We are 2 ladies (mid 50's), need twin beds. Don't require elevator or bkfst at hotel...coffee available in lobby would be nice. Feels safe for two ladies at night...we walk a LOT. Prefer Campo or Navona areas, but Sp Steps OK if the price is good.

Based on that input, do you think any one of these fits the bill better than others? Grazzie.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Lorac1127 replied:

We stayed at the Portoghesi in March 2001. The location was just perfect for us. It is on a tiny street with just enough room for a small car to drop you off. The neighborhood is great...there are small shops, a bakery, a lovely church adjacent...and is just a quick walk to the Pantheon and Piazza Navona.

The hotel had been recently renovated and was spotless. Our room was small and the bathroom not much bigger, but it was beautifully tiled amd the room was comfortable. We did not mind the room size since we were just there to sleep.

Even though you aren't interested in breakfast, they have a very nice rooftop breakfast room where you can have coffee, tea, fruit and rolls.

We enjoyed our stay there and loved the location...which is of upmost importance to us.

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 12:41 PM

FWIW,
If I had to pick one of these, it would be the Portoghesi because it's in by far the most pleasant area. Despite the fact that you don't spend all your time at the hotel, it ends up being the neighborhood you'll spend the most time in. If for no other reason than the trip out and back once a day.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 01:31 PM

I've never made any secret of the fact that I've stayed at the San Carlo a number of times. I've seen both the double standard and double superior rooms, and thought they were both a pretty good size. I love the neighborhood, and the fact that if I get into a jam for time, instead of walking I can take the Metro. It's been pretty handy that way on a couple of occasions.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Bookchick: That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you!

I faxed the San Carlo today, hoping they'll offer me the 168eu standard double. We could spring for the superior room, but then we'd have to cut into our Paris hotel budget. Thanks again.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

FYI, the San Carlo has responded:

Standard double - 160eu
Superior double - 190eu

Breakfast is included. Our Paris hotel came in quite higher than I'd planned, so I think I'll jump on that 160 rate.