Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome Hotels--anyone having them flake on you?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have reservations (or so I think) for next Sunday, the 24th. I've been emailing all my hotels throughout Italy to confirm our reservations and get directions, etc. Our very first hotel in Rome has not responded to two emails and a fax request for confirmation. I'm a little nervous, and wonder if the activities around the Pope might be getting in the way (i.e., dump the stupid americans who are only staying one night and take in someone else who might stay longer and be willing to pay more). Am I freaking out pre-maturely? Has anyone had a problem with a hotel flaking on them? (I suppose anyone who has had that experience may still be traveling). All the other hotels responded right away and everything's okay there. I'm just worried about one hotel in Rome. Any idea why they may not be responding? When should I panic and try to get a back up hotel?
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:06 PM
ira

Hi jl,

>Any idea why they may not be responding? When should I panic and try to get a back up hotel?<

Among others, "They are Italian".

I suggest that you call about 09:00 Rome time, confirm your res and ask them to send you a fax.

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:09 PM
euroenvy

My experience is that if you have a printed out confirmation it is good.. I too have found that Italian hotels and others will not answer numerous emails..they are busy

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:14 PM

I was unceremoniously dumped by a hotle for this June. They emailed and said they couldn't honor my reservation and that they had nbooked another hotel. But despite emails I sent to confirm the new hotel was equivilent, they then emailed that that hotel too was full and sorry.

I got another hotel but I had plenty of time...
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Westcanuck, this is exactly what I am afraid of! At least your hotel had the courtesy to let you know in advance. I can't imagine what I'd find at this late date. Euroenvy, I hope you're right. I'm going to bring my printed out reservation. Ira--good idea. I hope I can get through. Thanks for your replies, everyone. Wish me luck!
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 07:13 PM

It's not that uncommon to read reviews where people get bumped from their hotels (in Rome, and some other places too). Sometimes they're given another hotel 10 miles away or whatever - not exactly what they wanted. Definitely phone and ask for confirmation. They may not want to bother replying by email.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 08:13 PM

Hi Jleone, I agree with Ira, telephone the hotel. Italians, in my experience, are very slow in answering emails.

Phone them about 9:00am Italian time as Ira suggested or about 2:00pm Italian time. Do not know where you live. USA westcoast time is nine hours behind Italian time. USA eastcoast time in six hours behind Italian time.

Good wishes to you that you get this worked out.