Rome Hotel Advice

Aug 9th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Rome Hotel Advice

I am second guessing my hotel choice for Rome next month, and would really appreciate your advice. We are currently booked at Albergo del Senato, which I realize is a great location, but I am concerned about some reviews of the 'tiredness' of the rooms. This will be our final 3 nights in Italy, and we are willing to splurge a bit for more luxurious accomodations, since we are in Italy to celebrate our 30th anniversary. The del Senato has gotten such great reviews that I am really torn.

I've checked into the Sofitel, which is not as centrally located, but appears to be more upscale and is only 50 euro more a night. I really don't want to go any higher than 500.00 USD a night. I am open for any other hotel suggestions that would
fit the criteria of upscale and good location.

I have spent way too many hours on Tripadvisor, etc. and just need some feedback so that I can move on! Thanks for your help and input!
Aug 9th, 2010, 08:42 AM

Try to contact ekscrunchy via one of her own threads (she's checking them regularly, but not the entire Italian forum), she has stayed at the Senato numerous times and is one of our most reliable posters on Italy on this forum.
Aug 9th, 2010, 08:52 AM

Two suggestions for upscale and right in the Centro Storico that are surely under 500.00 USD a night.

http://www.hotelpontesisto.it
http://www.hotelteatropace.com

...and one other that is very upscale, right in the Centro Storico and MIGHT be under 500.00 USD a night (if you're lucky and snag a special rate).

http://www.stgeorgehotel.it
Aug 9th, 2010, 10:09 AM

We spent six nights at the Albergo del Senato this past April...three at the beginning of our trip, and three nights at the end of our trip. (We visited Venice in between). Both of the rooms we were given were exquisitely decorated - all of the finishes were new - the bathrooms were large and the bathroom fixtures were outstanding. There was nothing old or tired about the rooms we had. Both rooms were large and had a view of the Pantheon. The first room was on the second floor and the last room was on the fourth floor. I would encourage you to try this hotel - everything about the hotel and service was outstanding. Read the reviews on Trip Advisor to get a better idea. Have a wonderful trip!
Aug 9th, 2010, 10:21 AM

We did not stay at this hotel, but we walked into the lobby and liked its looks. It is a small, boutique hotel, smack in the middle of the designer shops on Via Condott. Here is my note about it:

"La Lumiere di Piazza di Spagna (Spanish steps), has rooftop dining, is in an old mansion on Condotti street. www.lalumieredipiazzadispagna.com."
Aug 9th, 2010, 10:37 AM

We stayed in a sixth floor jr suite at Albergo Del Senato with a great view from the terrace of the Pantheon two years ago. There was nothing tired about the room, but we also weren't in the room that much, since all of Rome was just out the door! It is really hard to beat this hotel for location, service, and its fabulous rooftop bar.
Aug 9th, 2010, 11:08 AM

Right off Piazza Navona is the Raphael. You might check their rates.
http://www.raphaelhotel.com/Welcome-...el-in-rome.htm
Aug 9th, 2010, 11:12 AM

I have stayed at both Del Senato and Sofitel and Sofitel is superior in every way. It is our favorite in Rome in a dozen visits and 8 hotels.

The location of the Sofitel is much quieter and the rooms are larger with wonderful bathrooms. We had the basic room at each and there was no comparison. Our room at the Senato was half the size of the room at Sofitel.

Staff and public areas at Sofitel were also superior and the breakfast one of the best we have ever had in Italy.

It is our first choice in Rome.
Aug 9th, 2010, 11:14 AM

We only went into the lobby of the Senato and thought it very cramped and too busy for us.

The Sofitel is wonderful and make sure you ask for a room overlooking the Borghese Gardens. The breakfast is delicious.
Aug 9th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great feedback! And just to add another twist to it, how would you say the Westin Excelsior compares to the Sofitel and del Senato as far as location and atmosphere? Thanks again for your help!
Aug 9th, 2010, 01:06 PM

I can agree with kybourbon about Rafael. Rooftop bar and minutes to Piazza Navona.
Aug 9th, 2010, 01:54 PM

I like the Westin and also its location on Via Veneto but they are very different. The Westin is a large, opulent, old world style hotel. Sofitel is more intimate with a location on a side street off the Via Veneto which we very much enjoyed.

Sofitel also has a wonderful rooftop lounge where we went every evening to enjoy a bottle of wine and the view.

I would stay at either but I am more a fan of boutique hotels and would choose Sofitel.
Aug 9th, 2010, 01:58 PM

cliquot, I forgot to add that the area around the Del Senato is just too busy for my taste so that is a negative IMO though many find it convenient. I also do not have a need to be near the Piazza Navona as we have learned that we prefer to be a bit out of the very busy tourist center when we travel to Rome.

We loved going back to the quiet neighborhood where Sofitel is located and felt it was a sanctuary from the crowds.

It all depends what you are looking for.
Aug 13th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the great feedback! I think my husband is convinced that the Sofitel is the way to go. The Raphael looks great but is much higher than the Sofitel. I'm sure
del senato is a fine hotel, but we just want to savor our last few nights of Italy in as much luxury and style as we can afford, and we don't mind walking. Any suggestions on the type of room to suggest at Sofitel, other than overlooking the gardens? I understand that some rooms have a balcony.
Aug 13th, 2010, 04:37 AM

The ones with the balconies were too pricey for us. We just booked the standard room and spent a lot of evenings on the roof top.
Aug 13th, 2010, 10:10 AM

I liked the Westin Excelsior too. It is within easy walking of lots of sites, and it is very luxurious.
Aug 13th, 2010, 11:20 AM

As mentioned above, I'd recommend Raphael Hotel.
We stayed at this hotel for 10 days in the spring and loved everything about it..the rooftop terrace for dining or drinks, the wonderful breakfasts, and close proximity to the sights.
Aug 17th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately the Raphael was sold out. I am now researching a luxury room --one level up from standard at Sofitel and a Grand Luxe room at Westin, also one level up from their basic room. Both rooms are priced about the same. I'm waiting to hear directly from Westin to see if they have a balcony in the grand luxe room. Sofitel said their rooms with balconies are gone. Either one will be fine, I'm sure. Thanks again to everyone for your helpful advice!
Aug 17th, 2010, 07:00 AM

cliquot1,

Did you contact the St. George?
Aug 17th, 2010, 07:06 AM

Why the insistence on a balcony? Most hotel balconies in Rome are too small to sit on, and how much time do you intend to spend on a balcony in any case?

Book a hotel with a rooftop terrace from which you can enjoy a better view in more comfort than from any private balcony.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO