Rome Hotel -- 22-27 Dec -- short list

Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Hotel -- 22-27 Dec -- short list

Help!

The hotel I had booked in Navona for 5 nights (arr 22 Dec, dep 27 Dec) emailed me that the room I had booked had "building issues" and wanted to put me in a much smaller room in an annex building. Uh, no, so I cancelled.

And now I have to find a new hotel for those five nights. One person ( middle-aged female), budget up to $125/night (could stretch slightly).

In general I have to choose between non-refundable bookings, or cancel by ~15 Dec bookings.

If the weather permits, I am a keen walker and street-wanderer. Not a shopper. Activities planned (still working on this, but it might help hotel location advice):

Dec 22: arrive early afternoon from Assisi. walk and walk and walk. Get oriented.
Dec 23: Vatican museum, Basilica, etc.. Walk and walk and walk around Rome
Dec 24: nothing planned in day yet -- still researching. Lots of walking. Visiting presepio, etc. Midnight mass at Pantheon to hear Gregorian chants
Dec 25: Urbi et Orbi, then the rest of the day in the old Jewish quarter. Tour? Walk and walk and walk
Dec 26 and 27: Coliseum? Forum? Borghese? other? still reading ....

NIghttime walking safety: I want to enjoy the Christmas lights/decorations, and this will entail walking by myself in the evening back to the hotel. Also I will need to return to my hotel after Pantheon midnight mass -- walking by myself (or is that a really bad idea?)

After hours on booking.com and tripadvisor I have come up with the following possibilities. And now I have analysis-paralysis! Does anyone know these hotels, or can make recommendations for location?

Hotel Condotti * * * (Spagna)
Via Mario De' Fiori 37, Spagna, 00187

I Tre Moschettieri (Trevi)
Vicolo Sciarra 61 (angolo Via del Corso, 241), Trevi, 00187

Domus Fontis (Trevi)
Via Dei Crociferi 41, Trevi, 00187

Rome River Inn (Navona, NW corner on River, nearest to Vatican City)
Via Dei Bresciani 23 (angolo Lungotevere del Sangallo), Navona, 00186

Hotel Navona * * * (Navona, central near Panthenon)
Via Dei Sediari 8, Pantheon, 00186 Rome, Italy

Locanda Navona (Navona, NW of Pantheon)
Via Tor Millina 35, Navona, 00186

Hotel Ponte Sisto * * * * (Navona,in former monastery near Ponte Sisto)
Via Dei Pettinari 64, Navona, 00186
In budget only if non-refundable.

Casa De' Fiori (guesthouse @ Campo de Fiori)
Piazza Del Biscione 83, Navona, 00186

Casa Campo De' Fiori
Via Dei Pettinari 73, Navona, 00186

Suggestions/advice, anyone? I really want to get this settled so I can get on with planning how i am going to spend my time in Rome at Christmas!

Thanks!
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 06:31 PM

It's been years, but I have stayed at the Hotel Condotti. A fine location.

With midnight mass in mind, I might choose to stay close to the Pantheon.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 06:46 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I checked out of Relais Le Clarisse in Trastevere yesterday. I loved it. Kind staff, good breakfast, great location steps from "Mastai" stop on the #8 tram line (meaning getting there, if you use public transport, is easy from Trastevere Station, from FCO no need to go to Termini). Also easy walk from Centro Storico AND Colosseum/Forum.

It's affordable & popular, may be booked up, I didn't check:
http://www.leclarissetrastevere.com/
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.

BTW, is "Relais" a particular type or class of hotel? Perhaps a guesthouse? I've seen it in the name of many places.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 07:16 PM

have u thought about Air BnB at all. I know few ppl who travelled Italy and Europe like that. Specially in big citis it is easier asu have more competition and a lot of demand
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 08:05 PM

"I've seen it in the name of many places."

You may be thinking of "Relais & Châteaux...a global fellowship of individually owned and operated luxury hotels and restaurants."

This one is a very nice but modest individual small hotel.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Hmmmm. Yes, but ....

I've seen it elsewhere: for example, when I fly in to FCO from LHR on the afternoon of the 19th, I've booked a hotel by Termini for one night -- Relais Cavour Inn (Termini)-- as I will be catching an early train on the 20th for a two-night stay in Assisi. Definitely not luxury!

That aside, Relais Le Clarisse in Trastevere looks perfect. Alas, they don't have availablilty. I've noted them for my 2018 trip to Rome (planning to go to Puglia, etc on that trip, and will fly into FCO. And stay for a few days, based in Trastevere).
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know the particular hotel, but I like the location of the one on Via Dei Bresciani. Pretty area, very central but usually a bit less clogged and hectic feeling than some of your other choices. Just my personal preference/opinion, and you and others may feel otherwise--for example, I'm not crazy about Via Dei Pettinari but many people like the Hotel Ponte Sisto.

I've been to Rome a few times by myself and haven't felt uncomfortable walking around solo late at night in the center. Never been to midnight mass, however, so cannot speak to how many people would be out on the street afterward.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 09:26 PM

"I've seen it elsewhere..."

One definition is something like a place that serves food and may also have rooms, now used liberally.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, the last few times in Rome I've stayed at somewhat pricier hotels, but a number of years ago I stayed at the Hotel San Carlo. I booked last minute when I arrived at Termini from Bologna (long story). It was inexpensive, my room was comfortable, and the staff was very, very kind and friendly. Old-fashioned but not too barebones. I would definitely go back to the San Carlo.

http://www.hotelsancarloroma.com/gallery_new.html
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. It did occur to me that if coming back after the midnight mass -- say, between 0100 and 0200 -- the hotel would need a 24 hour desk to let me in assuming that room keys don't double as front door keys?).

Rome River Inn only has staff until 2200. Domus Fortis has reception 8:30-5:30 (and, it turns out, only 4 rooms).

Or do I not understand how late-night entrance to a hotel works without a staffed front desk?

The Hotel Ponte Sisto sounds promising if you get a quiet room (and I suspect those are NOT given to folks who book via booking.com -- that's where I have read the complaints about noise). And it is probably out of my budget.

Leaning toward the Hotel Navona -- three minute walk from the Pantheon (per Google) and has a 24 hour desk...but now I read in the reviews that their rooms are spread over three buildings... sigh.

The San Carlo sounds good ... but then there is the problem of getting from the Pantheon back to Spagna at 0100. I'd hate to give up the Gregorian chants with the Pantheon acoustics!

I will look again in the morning. Thanks again.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 10:25 PM

For future reference, though there's no one on the desk from, I believe, 2-6am at Relais Le Clarisse, I did have a front door key as well as room key. The several budget rooms are in an adjacent building. Not in the least an inconvenience because it's so close.
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Good morning --

Thank you for clarifying the front door key and annex building practice. in Europe I have mostly used hostels in Europe (finally said "no more!" to that!) and I have no clue how this is managed in budget hotels.

Back to the task this evening. I enjoy planning travel, I love travel, But I absolutely loathe finding accommodation -- I spend hours wallowing on the 'net and get very stressed.

I probably need a better approach/strategy to this aspect of my travel planning.
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 05:37 AM

Relais is a French word that literally means relay station, as in where travelers in years gone by could find a bed and a meal as they were traveling.

My favorite hotel in Rome is the Modigliani, though I don't know their current prices.
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 06:59 AM

You probably know that all public transportation ends early on Christmas Eve, so if you're going to the Midnight Mass, check the walking time on Google Maps. You might not want to be walking for half an hour under pouring rain. Most of the lodgings you mention are 20 minutes or more walking distance from St. Peter's Square. In the dark, it could well take longer. The closest is the Rome River Inn, 15 minutes.

I know someone who's stayed several times at the Ponte Sisto and liked it very much. I made a note of it for future reference, but it's usually somewhat over my budget. It's not very near St. Peter's Square, though. Neither is the Pantheon, the Spanish Steps, or Trevi Fountain.

On my most recent trip to Rome, in early October, my daughter and I stayed at the Bollo Guesthouse, or Bollo Apartments. They have rooms in their main location (the Guesthouse) on Vicolo del Bollo, but they also manage offsite apartments. We stayed in one of these, on nearby Via dei Pellegrini. We liked the location very much. It's near Campo de'Fiori. The main office on Vicolo del Bollo is open 9 to 5, if I remember correctly. They give you keys for after-hours access. They made up the room once during our four-day stay, and were very responsive to requests and questions. They don't provide toiletries, other than hand soap. Our room had a little kitchenette, which was useful for my daughter, who has food allergies. Not all rooms have this.
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 07:16 AM

The hours for public transportation on Christmas Eve 2017 haven't been announced yet. In the past, regular transportation has ended at 9 PM, when the last bus/tram/metro starts its run. Night buses start running at 11:30. They may start running earlier on Christmas Eve, but I wouldn't count on it. You'll need to be at the Vatican well before midnight, so if the night buses aren't running, you'll need to walk or take a taxi. Taxis may also be scarse that evening.

Google Maps also gives directions by public transportation. When I put in a hypothetical journey to St. Peter's Square at 10 PM on December 24th, they show night buses running. I don't know if they have some special source of information.
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 07:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The OP's plans for Christmas Eve are at the Pantheon, not the Vatican...
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 10:22 AM

Oh, sorry, I missed that. In that case, I think all of the hotels are fine as far as location.
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Hello all --

Thanks so much for your inputs.

Google shows that Hotel Navona and Locanda Navona are both less than 5 minutes walk from the Pantheon, so that should be quite safe as the mass lets out and hundreds of people depart. (Note to self: arrive by .... 2230? to secure a spot?)

Considering all the inputs, I am now thinking about splitting my 5 nights between two hotels -- one in Navona, and then the last night in Spagna. (leave carry-on bag at the Navona hotel on the morning of the 26th, go to Colosseum, etc., get the bag at the end of the day, head over to Spagna, and then on the 27th do Piazza de Popolo and the Borghese. Hmmmm).

Again, thanks for your suggestions. Finding bookings always stresses me, and this last minute change had to be figured out in the wee small hours of the night.

TANGENT QUESTION: is there a thread on the forums about how people research, decide upon and book hotels? I figure out what neighborhood(s) I want to be in, my budget, my minimum review score, and then spend hours and hours on booking.com per destination. Surely there must be a more efficient way?
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 04:22 PM

The center of Rome is quite compact and I see no reason whatever to move for 1 night. It just seems a waste of precious time. Find one that will work for you and enjoy the luxury of staying put for the duration.

Regarding a system for finding a place to stay, if you're like me, where you stay is important and there's no shortcut. I think the best idea is to learn to enjoy the hunt. Start your planning early to avoid panic and when you get frustrated just stop until it beckons again. I treat it like a game and I play to win, a great place at a modest price, no one to please but me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -