Rome Guide Tours __So many choices??

Sep 24th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Rome Guide Tours __So many choices??

I've noticed with Rome tours there are so many different options and because theres so much to see, they don't include everything (the Vatican, Ancient Rome, after hour tours, etc.)

We only have a couple days in Rome and I would love to take more than one tour but don't see that as being feasible. Any guides which you could recommend to get the most out of the experience, or ones that one should not bother with would be much appreciated.

Some of our top sight are the Vatican, St. Peter's, Ruins, Colosseum, Pantheon, Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain.

Thanks!!
Sep 24th, 2007, 09:03 PM

Hi

My wife and I went to Rome a couple of years back and it is a great city to visit. We did most of the things on our own and with a good guidebook that can be a good option. But we also went fr a couple of tours...one to cover Colosseum and Forum and one for the Vatican. Don't try to squeeze in too much while you are there....leave some time to just wander around town. Here is my trip report with pictures and links http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm . Maybe you can find some useful information there.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Sep 25th, 2007, 05:26 AM

I'm not sure if you mean private tours or groups but we took 2 private tours with vatican tours and beyond, one of the vatican and the other of ancient rome. We (husband and 2 older teenagers) all thought they were spectacular, both guides had excellent english, were extremely knowledgeable and flexible, couldn't recommend them more highly. I'm sure any private tour company would work with you to customize what you want to see. Enjoy
Sep 25th, 2007, 05:34 AM

Context Rome & Rome Walks.
There is a guide named Olivia who works for both companies she is GREAT!
Sep 25th, 2007, 06:18 AM

I'm going to Rome in 13 days (yes, I'm counting!) and will be doing the EnjoyRome walking tour of Ancient Rome. http://www.enjoyrome.com/walking/index.html

When are you going? I'll be posting my trip report when I return (27th).

Monica
Sep 25th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Wow! I just posted yesterday and already have some great responses. I like the idea of the Colosseum/Forum area or Vatican area tour...and then the rest with a good guide book/walks.

I am thinking more along the lines of a group tour...I read somewhere here about private tours being around 250E and thats insane.

Any thoughts on bus tours in Rome?

Monica - I'm soo jealous I'm not leaving until end of Oct, Enjoy!

Thank-you all!!
Sep 25th, 2007, 10:04 AM

Well, you're not too far behind me!

Have a great trip!

Monica
Sep 25th, 2007, 10:59 AM

J and Monica,

You lucky people! Please post your trip reports so I can enjoy Roma vicariously though you! It's going to be a while before I can return, with the way the exchange rate is.
Sep 25th, 2007, 11:54 AM

You can do the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain on your own. I would focus on finding a guided tour for 1) the Vatican and 2) Colosseum/Forum in that order. I have visited both places with and without a guide and having a knowledgeable guide made it so much more interesting and worthwhile.

On my last trip to Rome, we booked two half-day tours through the Amex office (one for Vatican, the other Colosseum/Forum) and the guide was excellent. It was well worth the money imho.
Sep 25th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Another vote for Context Rome. Very informative tour guides with small groups (no more than 6 for some tours). I also recommend the Colosseum/Forum area tour.
Sep 25th, 2007, 05:03 PM

We booked a private tour through Bob's Limosousines--www.romelimousines.com. We had a driver-guide that was very knowledgeable and he took up places that we wouldn'g have thought of going on our own. We really enjoyed the experience and will book with them again the next time we go to Rome.
Sep 25th, 2007, 05:08 PM

Sorry for the way the link posted. It's www.romelimousines.com.
Sep 26th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone!

I actually found a similar post on here

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35073155