Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome-Florence-Venice-where to begin planning?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am starting to plan a trip for my husband, myself and our 15 year old son for next summer to these cities (in no particular order). We will be flying in and out of Los Angeles and will stay for 12 days including travel.

Here are some general questions:
1-is it best to drive or train to get from 1 city to another? Do we need a car in these cities and if not, how do you obtain train tickets?

2-how much time do we allot for each city? Are there any can't miss side trips in which we would need a car for? (We could rent one for a day, I presume, if we were training it from 1 place to another).

3-we all enjoy art, music, good food and wine. Budget is undecided at this point, but we are usually mid-range hotel/B&B travelers.

4-I am not ready to decide on hotels yet, but would appreciate any suggestions as to general areas of the cities to stay in, within decent walking distance of sights, shops, restaraunts, etc.

Thank you in advance for your help. I just returned from the U.K. on a trip planned based on the U.K. forum at Fodors and it was terrific.
Thanks,
Lynnie
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 08:59 AM
ira

Hi,

I suggest you start with the mini-guides to these cities at www.fodors.com.

Also see Helpful Information: Italy http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34443340

A car is not recommended in these cities.

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 09:01 AM

We did the same three for our honeymoon and loved it. Just remember that there is so much to see that even if you were there for 3 months, you couldn't get to everything you want to see.

1. Train between the cities, it's much easier. You can buy tickets off of the website from the US, or you can use the vending machines they have at the train station, which makes things a bit more flexible for you guys.

2. This is a tough one, because I think it's left up to your personal preferences. For instance, if you're fascinated by Ancient Rome, you might spend more days there than looking at the amazing art in Florence. Side trips might include Pisa, Pompeii, Tuscany, but the majority can be reached by train.

3 & 4. In Rome, my personal preference is to stay someplace in the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area, however, you can log on to www.romeby.com and look at accomodations by both area and how highly they're rated. We stayed along the Arno in Florence and loved it, however some may suggest a place closer to the Duomo. In Venice, we stayed in Piazza San Marco, which I personally thought was a great place for a first time visitor.

Some other posters may have a bunch of additional information, this is just my two cents. Enjoy your trip, Italy is wonderful.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 09:04 AM

First of all go for an open-jaw ticket (arrive Rome depart Venice or vica versa). I'm assuming 10 nights and would do something like 3 nts venice & florence, 4 rome. We've done a similar family trip a few years ago. We spent 3 nights Venice, 1 Florence, 1 Orvieto and 4 Rome. We picked up the car on the way out of Venice and returned it in Rome. In both FLorence and Orvieto we arranged for the hotel to park the car fir us (an additional $10-15 to the cost of parking but worth it). The highway driving is pretty easy and pleasant, the city driving is a bit of a nightmare but with a calm driver and good navigator it's managable. Many people take the train and that seems to be pretty easy as well. The thing I like about the car, is the ability to make stops along the way. This last trip we stopped in San Giminagno, which was very easy. There's a parking lot right outside the city's wall.

I would allow for a little more time in Rome than the other 2 cities, Rome is much larger and there is just so much to do and see (you can easily stay there a week and not get bored).

Both Florence and Venice are rather small, so most locations are decent and walkable to much of the cities. In Rome I like the historic center (pantheon/Navona area). We stayed in quad rooms in Venice - Hotel Flora 3* (1 large room), Florence - Hotel Casci 2* (also 1 large room), Rome - Santa CHiara 3* (2 room suite w/ 1 bathroom). ALl of them included breakfast, all were pleasant, all were in great locations and I'd stay at any of them again.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:11 AM

Flying into one city and out the another is definitely the best way to do this trip.

1. You don't need a car in Rome or Florence and you can't have one in Venice...lol....but you knew that.

To drive or take trains depends on your personal style and preferences. We've done both and enjoyed both.

2. Eliminating travel days, leaves you with 10 days. I would give Venice 3, Florence 3 and Rome 4.

There are lots of wonderful areas to explore outside these cities. We loved Pompeii and Ercolano outside of Rome and drove all through Tuscany and enjoyed every single town we visited.

3. I'm not sure if there is a question here, but all three cities have the most wonderful restaurants, hotels and museums.

4. In Rome, my favorite location is Centro Storico near the Pantheon. Florence is so small but, again, being in the heart of the city would be my preference.

We just stayed in the Cannaregio section of Venice and enjoyed it. If we return to Venice, we would stay there again, but we also liked the Dorsodoro and San Polo areas.

The San Marco area near the Basilica is very, very busy and overwhelmed with tourists. But there are some quieter campos with little hotels that are away from the crowds that we would consider as well.

I think the best way to plan a trip is to do lots of research, then make a wish list of what you want to see and do, and the itinerary will start taking shape. The hardest part is eliminating what you can't fit into ten days.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 12:37 PM
rex

I have this opinion on a first trip to "the big three" in Italy:

Start with Florence, even though you can't fly non-stop there from the US. From Los Angeles, you might need to connect <i>somewhere</i> to get to Italy anyhow. There <i>are</i> several one-connection air itineraries to get to Florence (or the airport in nearby Pisa) via London, Paris or other Europe gateway cities. You might have to use two airlines (Ryanair.com and Volareweb.com are worth your checking into).

Venice is &quot;too good&quot; to go there during those first few days affected by jet lag and the process of getting acclimated to an Italian-speaking country. Rome is &quot;too intense&quot; for a lot of people, and more than once, I have seen people hate Rome, especially when they try to squeeze it into the first 48-72 hours of a trip.

So, Florence is &quot;Italy light&quot; (of the three) - - but that doesn't mean it is &quot;less&quot; a destination. Give it your first three nights.

While I agree that cars are a poor choice to get between the big three - - and certainly a millstone around your neck while you are in each - - a car can be a wonderful thing for exploring the one obvious omission from the average &quot;big three&quot; trip: the countryside and small towns, in any of these areas: Tuscany, the Veneto, Umbria, the Alto Adige or several others.

So, this is where reading up and preparing comes in. With 12 &quot;days&quot; (i.e., 11 nights actually sleeping in Europe, traveling on &quot;day 0&quot; and on &quot;day 12&quot, you have to give <i>some</i> place less time than it really deserves. You <i>could</i> divvy up 3, 3, 3, 2 (Florence, Rome, &quot;countryside&quot;, Venice) - - but which place gets the two? (and many other veteran Italy travelers will protest that at least Rome, and maybe Venice also &quot;deserve&quot; four or five!)

You have delightfully difficult decisions to make. Come back here often as your plans evolve.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 12:40 PM

Hi Lynnie,

My fiance and I are also from So. Cal. We are planning our honeymoon for this Sept. to Italy and Paris. Originally we were just going to Italy, but we found that flights going to Italy was very pricy (around $970, open jaw into Venice, out of Rome). So to save money (and broaden our trip) we are now flying w/ American Airlines from LAX to Paris and back from Rome to LAX for only $550. We booked our flights with www.airfare.com. This may be an option for your family to lower flight costs and you'll get to see lovely Paris as well! From Paris we are taking an overnite train (coushette) to Venice then to Florence and Rome. Good Luck!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 12:43 PM

We made the same trip last summer with our two sons, 14 and 15. We flew into Rome, spent 4 days, went to Florence by train, spent three days, and then to Venice by train for 2 days.

I spent hours on this site picking up millions of tidbits on where to go and what to do. I also bought the Fodors books, and picked up some materials from AAA. And I have to say that everything went like clockwork. It was a wonderful vacation and I can't wait to return. (Although now that trip will probably occur once I've put these two boys through college!)

Our best vacations have been when everyone in the family looks through the materials and picks out their 1-2 top stops for the trip. We figure out how to schedule those and then fill in with other sights we want to see. That way we all get to hit our must-see museum, statute, church or whatever. It's just a suggestion.

We walked everywhere in all three cities. Took a taxi one night to a restaurant in Rome, but that was the only one. Also, scheduled a limo from the airport into Rome the first day which was a luxury, but worth every penny after 15 hours of travel. The waterbus system in Venice is a great convenience as well and cheap.

Have fun planning the trip, that's half the fun!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 12:46 PM

Oh I just noticed that you only have 12 days, that is too short of time (IMO) to include Paris. We have 17 days so we were able to squeeze Paris in and take advantage of the difference in cost for our flight.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 12:47 PM
ira

Hi,

That's a good price, Jenq.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:27 PM
tcl

My husband and I recently returned from a trip almost exactly like what you're planning. We flew Delta out of LAX to Madrid (we spend time in Spain first before Italy) and then flew into Rome and eventually flying out of Venice. For the roundtrip ticket LAX-MAD &amp; VCE-LAX, we paid $835 per person (we didn't fly Delta from MAD-FCO). I think I checked the price for LAX-FCO &amp; VCE-LAX and the price was almost the same as the Spain/Italy combo ticket.

We did 4 days Rome, 2 days Siena, 5 days Florence (1 day side trip to Pisa &amp; Lucca), and 4 days Venice. We opted to do Rome first because we wanted to unwind in Venice at the end of our vacation. I couldn't imagine going back to work right after leaving the craziness of Rome. This schedule worked out quite well for us because we were ready to just relax and people watch by the time we got to Venice (hang out at San Marco and have a glass of wine).

We relied on trains, buses, taxis, and our feet for transportation. We didn't feel that we needed a car because everything was easily accessible by mass transit. Based on our observations, it would be best if you didn't have a car if you only travel to the larger cities because parking is hard to find.

We traveled from Rome to Siena by bus (SENA ? about 3 hours travel time). Then from Siena to Florence, we took the TRA-IN/SITA bus (70 mins. if you take the &quot;rapide&quot; bus). While in Florence, we took a train to Pisa and Lucca. Finally from Florence to Venice, we took the Eurostar (2.5-3 hours). We purchase the bus tickets at the station and the train tickets were purchased at the local American Express travel office. There was no fee for this service and the person who helped us spoke fluent English.

Recommendations on areas to stay:
Rome: Pantheon or Piazza Navona (very convenient to most of the tourist places)
Florence: around the Duomo, but Florence isn't that big so it's easy to get around
Venice: either Rialto bridge area or San Marco

If we could do our trip over again, I would have added an extra day or two to Rome and cut one day out of Venice. I found Rome much more interesting that Venice, but that's just my personal preference and I'm sure many people would disagree with me.

Good luck with your trip planning!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 11:55 PM

First, unless you suffer from some type of phobias, there is nothing too intense about arriving into Rome. It is positively exhilarating just because it it so majestic, so old, and different than the U.S. Any feelings of being overwhelmed by the sounds of speeding Vespas (they are so cute!) can be easily overcome by having an afternoon cafe latte or a glass of Chianti or a Gelato in a sidewalk cafe, let's say at the Piazza della Rotonda or the Piazza Navona! This is especially lovely if you get a, typically, friendly waiter.

Or just walk up to the Campidoglio and enjoy the backside view down over the Roman Forum. This is the only Piazza I found devoid of trinket vendors and cafes, so quite peaceful.

Alternatively, climb to the top of the Spanish Steps and enjoy the view over the city.

You need a minimum of 3 nights, preferably 4 in Rome.

You do NOT want a car in any of these cities (especially Venice as you will likely drown!) and renting a car to drive from point A to point B in a day also makes no sense either economically or in terms of convenience. The train is best for that purpose.

However, if you could add a couple of days, it is quite common and enjoyable to rent a car for touring the hilltowns of Umbria and/or Tuscany over a period of a days, using an agriturismo or country B &amp; B as your base. The driving is very pleasurable and the scenery quite nice. It offers a very balanced experience to a trip consisting of all city.

Typically people pick up the car in Rome or train to Orvieto and pick it up there, returning it to Florence. The Eurostar train between Florence and Venice is a snap.

Alternatively, you could take a day trip by bus from Florence to visit towns like Siena or San Gimignano, but you'll miss the experience of staying on a farm.

Even if you just see the big three and skip the small towns, it will be a great trip!
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Ok, so based on the great feedback here, I think we will start planning as follows:

Fly into Rome (hope to arrive on a Saturday morning), 4 days in Rome. Train to Perugia for 2 days (we have a friend who will be there- his hometown -at that time).

Travel to Florence, 3 days. Our friends from Perugia will accompany us. We will probably take the train.

Train to Venice, 2 days, depart Venice.

I love the idea of meandering thru Tuscany or Umbria, but I don't see how we can manage on the time we have. Should we chuck one of the &quot;big 3&quot; in order to accomodate this, or save it for another trip?

We will be traveling on miles from American Express. THis should give us some flexibility as far as what airline is concerned.

Thanks for all of the great ideas. I will have alot more questions during the next year, so thanks in advance.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 07:23 PM

If you have only 2 days for Venice, I'd save it for the next trip when you have enough time.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 07:32 PM
rex

I would never advise not going to Venice because of only having two days.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 07:43 PM
mjs

I agree with most other posters to forsake a car for this vacation. Get your train tickets at a tour agency in Rome as it will save you some money rather than buying it in LA.
Stay in the Centro Storico area in Rome, anywhere near the Duomo or Arno in Florence and recommend the Dorsoduro area for Venice. Your latest plans look ok to me although I would try to get an extra day for Venice if you can.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 04:40 AM
ira

Hi Lyn

&gt;I love the idea of meandering thru Tuscany or Umbria, but I don't see how we can manage on the time we have. Should we chuck one of the &quot;big 3&quot; in order to accomodate this, or save it for another trip?&lt;

I suggest that a motor trip be saved for your second time to Italy. You really need to have some experience of Italy before you attempt to drive there.

This link might be useful
Helpful Information: Italy
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34443340
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 06:41 AM

Here's a great trip report by a mom who did Italy with her teenage kids: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34504588

(I just copied the URL. Sorry if there is a better way to link to trip reports that I don't know about
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 06:50 AM

Your trip looks good to me but I would definitely try to find an extra day somewhere to add to Venice. Is it possible to add a day to your trip or, though I don't think it is an ideal solution, take one day from either Rome or Florence.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 07:38 AM

LynnieD,
sounds like a good plan!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -