Search

rome / florence trip

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2005, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rome / florence trip

Hi-
I'm planning a trip to Rome & Florence in July, and broke the days down as folllows:
Day 1 (Mon Jul3) arrive in rome 11:30 AM, check in, start sightseeing
Day 2 - Rome
Day 3 - Rome
Day 4 - Rome
Day 5 - Rome
Day 6 - Rome (I am Sabbath observant; this means day 6 will involve simply strolling thru the city ctr)
Day 7 - travel to Florence- arrive in the AM, start sightseeing
Day 8 - Pisa
Day 9 - Florence
Day 10- Florence
Day 11 - depart for Florence airport in AM

Is this breakdown enough to enable me to see the sights and spend some time just relaxing, strollimng, etc?
Thanks.

-AY
Old May 1st, 2005, 08:06 PM

Your plan sounds really nice to me. I think you'll have a nice amount of time to see the sights in an unhurried manner. Enjoy!
Old May 1st, 2005, 08:27 PM

Hello ayoldguy, your itineray sounds very good to me also. I love Rome and I see that you are giving yourself enough time to become acquainted with Rome and to be able to enjoy its beauty without feeling rushed.

And I noticed that in your schedule you allowed the time for arriving in Rome, to travel to Florence etc. Good for you. Many people do not.

In my opinion your itinerary will give you the time to see the sights without being rushed and it will also give you time to sit from time to time at an outdoor cafe, have a refreshing drink and enjoy the beauty of Italy and "people watch".

May I suggest if your find that in the afernoon that it becomes very hot and humid you may want to go to your hotel and perhaps take a siesta late afternoon. You can then start exploring Rome (or Florence) around 5:00pm again. Just do give yourself a bit of a rest if the heat starts bothering you. Also, when in Rome, if you want a rather "quite place" to reflect on your travels, the Borghese Gardens is a serene spot to visit and have some quiet time to yourself.

I wish you a beautiful time in Italy.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:59 AM
ira

Hi ay,

Unless you really, really, really want to see the leanng tower, I suggest Siena instead.

Alternatively, you can combine Pisa with a visit to Lucca, a very pleasant walled city.

>I am Sabbath observant....

This link might be useful http://www.jewishitaly.org/city.asp?CityMenu=Rome

Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks every one for the advice.
Ira, special thanks for the jewishitaly link... I booked my trip last nite and got a hotel near the rome ghetto are based on the info there.
I really really do want to see the Tower in Pisa, but I'm not planning on spending a lot of time @ it, just want pics, that's all- not interested in going up. I figure I could take a train early morning, get some great pics, then train to Siena and laze the rest of the day away, returning to Florence early evening. Is that too much cramming?
Also, I'm staying on the Piazza dell'Indipendenza in Florence- anyone ever stay near there b4? Hotel claims w/in walking dist to S.M. Novella train, but can I walk to Duomo, Ufizzi, etc from there?
Thanks, all.

-Alan
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Sorry-
forgot also- what kind of precipitation can I expect in rome/florence? I'm going july 3 - 14 - should I be packing wet weather stuff?

Thanks.