Rome Dilema

Feb 27th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Rome Dilema

After a week's driving tour of Tuscany, my husband and I would like to return our rental car at the Rome airport and then spend two days sightseeing in Rome. We will be with another couple and it would be best if our accommodations were near the airport since our flights home do not coincide. What is the best way to get into Rome and then back to wherever we are staying? If the hotels provide shuttles into town, where do they drop you off and how then would one get back? Thank you for any help you can give me.
Feb 27th, 2007, 02:32 PM
J62

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Stay in Rome.

I see no advantage, and big disadvantages to having hotel by the airport. There are trains from Rome Termini station to the airport every ~30min or so.

Sightseeing in Rome can be very tiring - lots of walking, steps, standing, etc. Having a place to take a break, freshen up before dinner, etc. is worth it's weight in gold. Much of the enjoyment of Rome is seeing the sights at night, strolling through piazze with fountains lit up, enjoying dinner out, etc.
Feb 27th, 2007, 02:37 PM

I agree with J62. It's easy enough to get a car hire to take you from the city center to the Rome Airport, even for very early flights. I've done it and considered it well worth staying in Rome and not having to leave until it's necessary.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Feb 27th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Oops, I guess I should have written "Rome Dilemma"
Thanks for your advice. I just checked the train schedule and we would have to hire a driver to make our early morning flight. Can you tell me the best way to do that.
Feb 27th, 2007, 04:44 PM

I agree w/all the posters here.

Hiring a driver: we always ask our hotel. Sometimes they have a service themselves, and if not, they usually have good recs.
Feb 27th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

This is all so helpful! I guess the next thing is finding a hotel. (You knew that was coming!) I know there are lots of hotel listings available, but do any of you have personal favorites before I start sifting through the lists? It would have to be "moderate", which is probably a joke by Rome's standards.
Feb 27th, 2007, 04:56 PM

In which section of Rome do you want to stay?
Feb 27th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

We don't really know what would be the best section. We have been to Rome once before, but stayed outside the city and had a driver/guide bring us in. It was great, but we can't afford that again. The couple traveling with us has not seen Rome, so we want to see as many of the major sights that we can fit into two days.