Search

Rome Budget Hotels or B&B's ? Suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Budget Hotels or B&B's ? Suggestions please

Hi Fodorites,

I'll be in Rome from May 1 to May 6 and am looking for budget lodging. I thought I found a family run B & B near Termini Stazioni but now I can't find it. Does anyone have suggestions for very inexpensive but decent places they've stayed at?
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 05:16 PM

State your max for inexpensive/budget. Is a toilet down the hall OK?
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Hi fmpden,

toilet down the hall? no fmpden, that wouldn't do. I was looking at Casa di toto or something but several people said the single room was in the basement and smelled of mold -
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 08:14 PM

Give me something to work with. What is the max you are comfortable paying?
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 08:22 PM

Check out the Daphne Inn-wonderful!
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Virginia Fish, but Daphne's has pretty bad reviews.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

fmpden,

thanks for the help - a funny thing is happening..hotels I looked at before at one rate, now have higher rates...if I could keep it at 90 Euro and below - way below, tht would be good. I looked at Hotel Columbus on Via Conciliazone the other day and it was 90 Euro, now it's higher - and there are no rooms...EEK.

Since I'm doing a month of hotels in Spain,Italy and France I'm trying to keep the costs down. Believe it or not, from recommendations on Fodor's I found some charming hotels for 50 to 65 Euros in good 5th and 6th arrondissments . Looks like Rome is much more expensive, no?
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:30 PM

That's the first I've heard of Daphne Inn having terrible reviews, but it certainly doesn't seem like a budget choice in any event.

An economic single room at Hotel Julia has an ensuite toilet and sink, but you have to go down the hall for a shower. I had no problem with this. It might be booked up already, though. Their regular single rooms have complete ensuite bathrooms. http://www.hoteljulia.it

Yes, Rome is a lot more expensive for Paris for hotels, in my opinion.

I'm not surprised about the rates going up so quickly - Rome is such an in-demand city that it's inevitable.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 02:25 AM

try arco del lauro a b&b in Trastevere area Rome. we are booked for end of May the reviews on fodors and trip advisor are fantastic. 119 euro a night, yes I believe you will have to pay more for Rome. the correspondence I have had with the owner Lorenza has been fantastic what a lovely lady. we can't wait to meet her and share in her hospitality. I had originally booked a hotel at 180 euro a night but after continued research on fodors and trip advisor planning our trip I happened upon arco del lauro.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks Willtravel and Kerry64 looking them up now, but keep the suggestions coming.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

By the way, part of my problem is that I dont know one area in Rome from another, i.e. I know in Paris to stay in arr. 1, 2, 3,4 ,5 6 - but in Rome I dont understand the difference between Prati and Trastevere, and dont even know the names of the other areas, if someone can help me with that?

Something you might need to know to help me is: that I wont take a subway/metro. I ususally make my way around a city by taking the hop on hop off buses - or a bus - so a location near a bus stop or where the hop on-offs stop would be helpful.

I also see that there are some little hotels/B &B's behind the Spanish Steps (if they're still available). Would that be a good place for me to stay?

Thank you Fodorites for your generosity by the way, I cant tell you how much I have learned and hints I've gotten from reading your posts for a year.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:33 PM

I think the best budget deal in Rome is at Casa La Salle http://www.casalasalle.com/uk/chi_siamo.php

This is the Christian Brothers House out on Via Aurelia, but it's set up as a seperate hotel and has 24/7 access. It's about a 5 min walk to the Cornelia Metro stop. I've been taking people to Rome and staying at this B&B for several years.
Alan
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:37 PM

malanh, I've noted that place, and it's so reasonably priced, but one thing that makes me hesitate is that it seems so far out. Do you find that to be a problem at all?

For the original poster, you might also want to consider convents in general, which are mostly in the 40-65 Euro range for a single room.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:59 PM

go to www.rome-accom.com and you'll find some great places. Anywhere around the Spanish Steps or between the Soanish Steps and the Via Veneto puts you in a good place to walk or hop on buses. If you're anyplace in Central Rome you can to all of the historic places including even across the river to Trastevere. It's a great walking city.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 01:07 PM

I just looked at the Daphne Inn in Rome on tripadvisor, and I see there are two of them, but they both seem to get good reviews. What review website were you looking at, mahya?

Sandy
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 01:10 PM

We stayed at both Daphne Inn's-Trevi and Veneto-in February, 06. Yes, they may not be budget, but great value for the money and we were exceedlingly pleased. Tripadvisor has wonderful reviews on them.
Good luck--Rome is a very walkable city and many locations are fine.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 01:14 PM

Hey WillTravel
I've found the slight inconvenience of the location to be offset by the price. There are actually several decent restaurants nearby, and a large market just across the street. My biggest problem was (this February) when the Metro closed early and I had to walk back from the Vatican. Luckily I found a bus for most of the way. I'd say that if you don't walk around Rome at night it's a good deal.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 01:59 PM

Hi - take a look at Hotel Julia. I think I paid $90 (or right around there) for a single. The shower was down the hall but I had a toilet and sink in the room. The location was very good for me. I don't recall any buses but I also wasn't looking. I took the subway once and walked the rest of the time. Sounds like a fun trip!
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Well Hotel Julia is out - all booked up.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Howis the area around Basilica of St. Mary Major, Via Carlo Alberto?

It seems to be close to southwest of Termini Stazioni.

Is that a safe area ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -