Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome: Avoiding the long Colosseum ticket line/queue: Palatine Hill ticket office locations

Search

Rome: Avoiding the long Colosseum ticket line/queue: Palatine Hill ticket office locations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[I thought I posted this in the past and was going to top it for rohani but I couldn't find it.]

You can avoid the *long* Colosseum lines if you buy your tickets at the Palatine Hill.
This ticket is valid for both sites on the same day. Also if bought after 1:30PM (it will say on back of the ticket) it's also valid for the next day to 1:30PM.

There are 2 ticket offices for the Palatine Hill. One in the Roman Forum area and the other on street that runs along the eastside of the Palatine Hill.

Go to www.capitolium.org/eng/fori/pianta.htm See the '1' now look alttle below it and to the left. See a building with 2 reddish/brown roofs. That is the entrance to the Palatine Hill from the Forum and the ticket office is below it. One option is to explore the Forum and work your way up to the Arch of Titus (which is '1') and then over to that bldg, buy your tickets and then either go up to the Palatine or over to the Colosseum. This ticket office might have a line but definitely shorter than the Colosseum. Easy to find, you'll see people walking over to it from the Forum.

Still looking at the map website this photo http://www2.siba.fi/~kkoskim/rooma/pages/085_059B.HTM was taken between the '1' which is the Arch of Titus and the building with the reddish/brown roof above it which houses the Forum Museum (Antiquarium Forense).

On the leftside of the photo between the trees you can see the ticket bldg and above it the bldg I mentioned earlier with the 2 reddish/brown roofs on the map.

The 2nd ticket office with no lines is on Via di San Gregorio, see that street on the map website above. The ticket office is where that little 'cul-de-sac' is to the left of the 'eg' in Gregorio.
(www.travelcreek.com/constantine.jpg this photo was taken from the Colosseum, that street is behind the Arch of Constantine in the distance, the ticket office is ~300m from the Colosseum).

With your ticket you just go to the left of the long Colosseum line. The sign to follow will say 'Tour Groups' or did when I was there in March '04 & '05.

And now for some really important info! W.C./toilet locations .
Starting at the top of the map. See the 'L.go Corrado Ricci', that's the main entrance to the Forum. At the entrance gate is a small bldg on the left with a w.c., book & gift shop (I don't know if they still rent the audioguides, if not they will be at the Info bldg which is next).   See to the right on the 'L.go' on the street there is an 'circled I', that's the Forum's tourist info bldg. It has a w.c., snackbar, guidebooks and some scheduled tours and possibly the Forum audioguides.
  Further to the right is an 'M' which is a metro station with a w.c.
  Inside the Colosseum after the ticket turnstiles and after the 1st entrance into the arena area there is a w.c. Also outside the Colosseum on the map it's just above 'Colosseo' there is a w.c. by the stairs leading up to the street's sidewalk.
 The Forum Museum also has a public w.c. that they might let you use if you ask.
 In the Forum behind the Basilica Julia and on the map to the left of '10' there is a w.c. The ancient brick ruins (2 piers) right in front of this w.c. are from a monumental arch which was once faced in marble. The w.c. is built over the street that this arch crossed over and was called the 'Vicus Unguentarius' or the Street of the Perfume Sellers .  
 On the Palatine Hill number '23' is the Palatino Museum with a w.c. Also the 2nd Palatine Hill entrance mentioned above has a w.c. Regards, Walter
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 03:58 PM

What a great post! Thanks for the info.
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:53 PM

bookmarking
Old May 21st, 2006, 08:55 PM

bookmarking
Old May 21st, 2006, 09:04 PM

bookmarking
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:39 PM

Many thanks for this information, Walter.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
FRom our experience at Ester, the pre-paid ticket entrance at the colosseum is still marked tour groups. THe first queue is the security queue, but ignore the long queue to the right and go through the entrance to the left with your prepaid ticket. Once through security, do not make the mistake we did and join the long queue - that is the ticket queue proper, which again you by-pass to the left and walk what seems very long way til you get to the entrance and show your ticket. Then feel very virtuous that you avaioded that long wait!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:39 AM

Excellant info, many thanks
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:38 AM

booking marking
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:00 PM

bookmarking
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 07:00 PM

great info! bookmarking
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 07:06 PM

The other thing we learned this summer is that you can only visit the Palantine IF you buy a combo ticket with the Colosseum. We have seen the Colosseum before and didn't want to again, but still had to buy the combo ticket in order to get into the Palantine.

So whatever you do, don't buy a Colosseum ticket and then later go to the Palantine, or you'll be paying for it all again.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the great info!!!
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 09:29 AM

jmjo, if you think this is good, check out all the wonderful posts by ParadiseLost - great walking tours of the Forum with priceless information! Walter did a lot of research and we truly benefitted from it when we visited Rome last year.

We purchased our tickets at the first ticket office mentioned in the OP. It could not have been easier and I was a heroine to my travel companions when we did not have to wait in line at all at the Colosseum!
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 01:57 AM

bookmarking!!!
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 07:25 AM

bookmarking
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 07:30 AM

ummm. I'm all for bookmarking, but what do you think the odds are that in the past 5 and a half years the locations, regulations, and policies have changed? I'd guess, pretty good! Some threads really do become less helpful as time goes by.
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 07:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
There is no need to continue the ancient practice of "spraying" on a thread to bookmark it. Under the new format, now several years old, simply clicking "Bookmark" on your browser will enable you to enter the thread into whichever personal bookmark folder you may desire.

Easier for you, more bandwidth for Fodor's, fewer annoyances for the rest of us, eagerly opening the thread to see what is new.
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 08:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
just to say that the arrangements have now changed - again!

about 3 years ago the forum was absorbed into the Colosseum/Palatinate ticket, and at that time, it had a separate entrance on via dei fori imperiale. Now that entrance is the exit, and the entrance to the combined area of the forum and palatinate is on Via Celio vibenna - as you come out of the colosseum, you turn left.

if you want to go there to buy your tickets, the ticket office is on your right as you face the colosseum at the bottom of the via dei fori imperiale, about 100 ms along the road.

the entrance to the colosseum has moved as well - the old entrance is now the exit, and the entrance [at least if you already have tickets or a Roma pass] is more central at the end of the via dei fori imperiale.

i hope this is clear! [if you look at a map of the area, it will make more sense].
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 12:28 PM

So this is still valid from the OP.
www.capitolium.org/eng/fori/pianta.htm
The ticket office with no lines is on Via di San Gregorio, see that street on the map website above.
The ticket office is where that little 'cul-de-sac' is to the left of the 'eg' in Gregorio. Via San Gregorio; Entrance and exit for the Palatine Hill and Roman Forum.

So you can still just walk-in and purchase your ticket, leave and walk over to Colosseum and avoid the long Colosseum ticket purchase lines.

annhig; I don't know if changes were made as they often do in Rome, like at the Colosseum over the year with different entrances and exits often changing every few years.

Or *I'm* just reading your directions wrong.

Anyway this was the original layout when they again started (2007/8?) charging for the Roman Forum.

And it seems to also be the current layout today?

So please correct if I'm wrong.

This is from the official City of Rome Tourist Office recently (2012 to today) up-dated.
http://www.060608.it/en/cultura-e-sv...-palatino.html OR
http://tinyurl.com/buj9n29

"The ticket, which is valid for the Colosseum and the archaeological area of the Roman Forum/Palatine Hill, may be purchased at the ticket offices in Via di San Gregorio (Palatine), Largo Salara Vecchia - Former Largo Romolo e Remo�(Roman Forum) and Piazza del Colosseo (Colosseum).

The exits are located at the Arch of Titus and the Mamertino prison (closed both entrances and exits at S. Teodoro and at Capitoline hill)."

So using the www.capitolium.org/eng/fori/pianta.htm map
is this correct?

The Roman Forum ticket sales for the 'combined ticket' are to the right of #41 (at the white section 41->|_| ) which is a Largo on the Via dei Fori Imperiali.

This is also *the entrance* and an exit for the Roman Forum.

The Largo was always called the 'Largo of Romolo and Remo' but they changed the name to the 'Largo della Salara Vecchia'.

An 'Exit Only' for both the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill is at the #1 'Arch of Titus' and going down #22 (Via Sacra) towards the Colosseum.

Also near #1 is the open entrance and exit to the Palatine Hill.

Behind #16 "Arch of Septimius Severus' is a Roman Forum 'Exit Only' to the Capitoline Hill.

The 2 old entrances & exits when the Forum was free are now Closed.

One was by #17, Forum to Capitoline Hill.

And the other was behind #11 leading up and out of the Forum into a modern neighborhood.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -