Rome at night

May 27th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Rome at night

Can someone suggest a place for a forty-year old couple to spend the evening in Rome? We aren't looking a pub crawl or an all night disco. We're not that hip. Thanks.
May 27th, 2005, 08:53 AM

Speaking as half of a fifty-year old couple, I would head for the Spanish Steps area. Lots to do and see in the evening hours - people watching, window shopping, fountain gazing.
May 27th, 2005, 09:01 AM

My husband and I are fortysomethings that have spent many evenings in Rome. Usually, between 7 and 8 pm, we have a drink somewhere (rooftop bars at the Del Senato and Raphael for great views),Ciampini atop the Spanish Steps, or the Piazza Navona. We have dinner somewhere between 8 and 10 and then stroll around the centro storico with gelati till about 11. That pretty much fills up the evenings. There is a bookstore around the corner from the Trevi Fountain that is open until 11pm (similar to Borders) that we browse in. Also we go to the occasional jazz club or disco in Testaccio (they don't get going until midnight). If you are going in the summer, there are free concerts in many parks and piazzas all the time. Bigger concerts are usually in the Borghese Gardens. In July, there is an open air festival that runs late into the evenings behind Castel San Angelo and during the last two weeks of July is the Festa di Tana di Noantri in Trastevere--lots of music, craft booths and food stalls all over the neighborhood.
May 27th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replys. These are great ideas!
May 27th, 2005, 12:17 PM

Have dinner on an outdoor piazza near the Pantheon area. Then stroll between the Pantheon, to Piazza Navonna, and also to the Trevi fountain, and as far as the Spanish steps. If it's warm and summer get a gelato at Giolitti's gelato shop, easy walking distance from the Pantheon...Ask somebody who is carrying a gelato cone!
May 27th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Sharing a bottle of vino with the one you love on a romantic, starry night at an outdoor table near Piazza Navona (or the Pantheon or Spanish Steps or Trastevere) is one of life's sublime pleasures.

I also like Grinisa's suggestions for jazz and/or concerts. And, of course, strolling back to the hotel with a late-night gelato cone is the perfect way to end the evening.

</an unhip 42 myself>