Notices

Rome and Tuscany, Need some help

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Ed

Rome and Tuscany, Need some help

We are fly to Rome on Dec7-15 and want to quickly see main sites in Rome and travel to Tuscany area, Siena,Florence and smaller towns.Want to see historical sites,enjoy good resturants,and great shopping. We are on a budget but want the trip to be enjoyable. Would welcome suggestions on travel,car or train,Lodging,resturants,shopping.With guide books and internet there is almost to much information.Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 07:50 PM
ron

ed, one week is a rush thru your agenda. my suggestion is spend three days in rome and the rest in florence. from florence you can do day trip by bus to suena and train to luca. there both only 1.5 hrs away.I don't think your going to have much time for tuscany. I just came back from a 21 day visit and saw it all. You must take into account travel from each city and also how tired you will be from plane trip. Also it takes a few hours in both rome and florence to get adjusted to the streets and bus systems.Definitely use the eurorail system. no car. Florence we were at hotel Casci great location and only 200,000 lira per nite with breakfast incl. and free internet. check fodors for rant and raves on this hotel.Its fabolous.In rome stay near Navorna Plaza for nice hotels and great location to move around. Rome is big and you need to take busses to places like vatican. You can walk but you"ll lose precious time. We did rome in 4 nites and it took all of that to see it. If your interested in restuarants I can give you some great places in the neighorhood of 60-80 dollars. email me for info.Shopping is best in florence at the central market. All the leather stuff you want. Also you bargin here. they expect it and their's so many of them they"ll lower prices. Have fun.ron

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 04:37 AM
Marianna

Hi,
I live and work in Rome as a tour guide so thought I would suggest that if you would like to email me direct I can give you some hotel recommendations, what to see and do in Rome and how to get around. Also great wine bars, restaurants and the best icecream!!
Happy to help, so feel free to email.
Regards
Marianna

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 06:16 AM
Vita

Hi, Ed. I took a trip to Rome, Tuscany and Florence in October. I loved Rome and Florence so I would probably suggest something similar to what Ron suggested, split your trip between Rome and Florence with some day trips to Tuscany from Florence or perhaps one night in Siena before going to Florence.

However, it all depends on how much you like large cities. From your post, it sounds like you wanted to concentrate on the smaller Tuscan towns.

If that's the case, then maybe:

2 days in Rome: 1 day in Ancient Rome (Colosseum, Roman Forum, Captillone Hill, Pantheon, Piazza Navona) and 1 day in Vatican City (Try to catch the sunset from Castel Sant'Angelo)

3-5 days in Tuscany - Either spend the rest of you time in Tuscany and take a day trip to Florence or 3 Days in Tuscany then head to Florence

0-2 days in Florence (I'll just mention again how much I loved Florence)

PS - Since you'll be going in December, try pouring espresso or one of your favorite spirits on your ice cream or, better yet, enjoy a pastry and a hot cup of cafe Americano. Have fun!

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 07:26 AM
dolce

Don't forget that December 8th is a holy day in Italy and many things may be closed(ie things you want to see such as museums). Have a ton of fun and eat a lot of pasta and gelato.
Reaching Rome, Florence and Sienca by train is very easy. You may want to rent a car or take a tour to see Tuscany and the smaller cities(depending on what places you would like to see)
ciao