Search

Rome & Tuscany

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome & Tuscany

My wife and I will be going to Italy this May for her 50th Birthday. Our plan is to spend 4 days in Rome and then on to Cetona for a week in a Villa we've rented there. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to travel between Rome and Tuscany. Should we rent a car in Rome and just drive down? Or is it better to take the train say to Sienna and rent a car from there?

Also, has anyone ever hired a cook/housekeeper in Tuscany? If so how did that work out for you? Any input at all would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 07:50 AM

We recently returned from a 2 week Italian dream vacation. We rented a car at the Rome airport and drove to south Tuscany are where we spent a glorious week in Montalcino.

I don't know how to add a link in here to my recent trip report (can someone enlighten me for next time please?). If you click on my screen name, you will find it easily. It is quite new. Might be helpful to you. For any specific questions other than that, I would be happy to help, (if I can).

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 07:58 AM

Hi Oy,

Orvieto, Chuisi and Siena are all easy towns to rent cars. I've picked up or returned from each on different trips. I didn't want to try driving out of Roma.

The roads (highways) around Siena are a little confusing. It seems lots of people do a few loops before finding the right road (myself included)! Orvieto and Chuisi are a breeze.

Buon viaggio!
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 08:16 AM

As for a cook/housekeeper, places we rented came with this option. (I looked for it when researching villas.) If you're renting from an agency, maybe they can help. Alternatively, you can ask the owner if they know someone.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 08:31 AM

Rome is south of Tuscany. It is very easy to take the train from Rome to say Florence. Santa Maria Novella (the train station in Florence SMN) you can either continue via train or bus. For example, there are buses that go from Florence to
Siena/San Giminiano Etc. They are short trips and cost effective. You may want to consider that gasoline is v. expensive and parking can be very hard to find in the bigger cities. I would reserve car rental for side trips into the Chianti where the buses may not go. Driving in Rome is not a relaxing event but, certainly is an adventure. Once outside of Rome, you may feel more confident driving north.
Your villa agency should be able to advise on cook/houdekeeper. Vacation apartments in large palazzos are usually maintained by a small staff with some meals provided through a central kitchen. Happy 50th!
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 09:31 AM

Their rental is near Cetona which is as close to Rome as to Florence. I suggest a train to Chiusi for your car. The Hertz office is across from the station, and the drive to Cetona is :20.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:15 AM

Flame, here's your report...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34884020

(The way I do it is to right-click on the thread title, then "Open in New Window" and when it appears, I copy the URL - and paste it)
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:30 AM

Thanks very much Tuck !!!