Rome and a day at the beach in 5 days?

Old Jan 27th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome and a day at the beach in 5 days?

I am planning a very short trip to Rome with my son, turning 21 for his birthday. I'd like to break up the museums, etc with a day at the beach or a similar excursion. Is this doable in 5 days and if so, what should we focus on seeing/doing? We are traveling from NY most likely in June.
Thanks.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 07:48 AM

There is really no good beach less than 2 hours from Rome---Sperlonga is the best. Consider a day trip to Orvieto if you want a taste on the hill towns---1:15 by train.
But, it does take 5 days to see much of Rome.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 07:50 AM

Do google searches for Santa Marinella in addition to Sperlonga, and Fregene.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 07:52 AM

There is always Ostia Lido, easily reached by metro/train, but I believe it is "strictly for the locals," ie Americans would not be impressed. Orvieto or Tivoli might make a better day out of Rome.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 09:06 AM

If you stop off first at Ostia Antica - the ruins of Rome's port town - and then continue to the Lido, that might be a fairly memorable birthday?

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/ost_antic

Peter
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies so far. If I add a day, could I get to Amalfi for one day (or night)? I heard the beach is beautiful there.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 11:00 AM

I don't even remember a beach at Amalfi, just pretty boats and harbor. The TOWN and the views of the Med are fantastic, however. You would want to spend a night to get the most out of it.

When we were in Rome this past September, it was REALLY hot, and the train we used to day trip to Ostia Antica was also filled with people headed to the "local" beach. Everyone (we saw on the train heading back) seemed to have had a great time, and while we never saw it, I would expect if you just want the fun of a dip in the ocean and people watching on the beach as a respite from sight seeing in the busy city, go for it. You may want to pack your own sunscreen and hats, maybe even a beach towel. You will need to rent chairs and an umbrella at the beach -- seems to be the custom at Italian beaches. This isn't the kind of excursion you have to "book" ahead, however, so if you all change your minds, it isn't like you have committed hundreds of dollars to it.

AND if you are totally dismayed when you see the beach, you can easily get to Ostia Antica and visit some wonderful ruins, so the trip won't have been a total loss!
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 11:17 AM

Ostia Lido is kind of a madhouse, definitely not a relaxing beach moment. I'd take the train to Sperlonga. It's a nice town with a lovely beach and a completely different atmosphere from Rome.