Rome Accommodation Help

Search

Rome Accommodation Help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2019, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Accommodation Help

My family of 5 will be traveling to Rome next June. We have 3 children, two teenagers and an eleven year old. I am overwhelmed with my research for accommodations. We would like to stay together in an apartment or adjoining rooms. We like the Pantheon/Navona areas from our research but are open to other areas. We plan on visiting the main tourist sites. We like to be able to walk to many places and have the convenience of nearby restaurants and cafes. A washing machine will be an added convenience, but we can use a local laundromat. Our budget is approximately 300-400 euros per night.
Thank you!

Last edited by family5travels; Sep 25th, 2019 at 11:11 AM. Reason: provide more information
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 11:08 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved from Technical Support to the Europe Forum
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 02:14 PM

For very specific requirements like yours, www.booking.com is perfect. I live in Italy, and I use booking.com for almost all my trips within the country.
  • Enter your destination as "Rome city center" to eliminate places out in the boondocks.
  • Specify that you are 2 adults, 3 kids, and you want 1 room. This will mostly show you apartments.
  • Then open the "filters" menu. You can specifically request apartments here, and any other services you want. (They have washing machines.) I always request to be shown only available accommodations.
  • Sort your results by guest rating.
  • Select a short list of apartments that appeal to you, are in your price range, and are in neighborhoods that interest you.
  • Read the reviews of the places on your short list.
Using this method, I can usually find a suitable accommodation in less than half an hour.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 02:44 PM

Have used AirBnB successfully in Rome.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 07:25 PM

On our Rome visit in August we were delighted with our AirBnB apartment in Rome. It has two bedrooms and two bathrooms, plus a sleeper sofa, and is furnished with everything you could possibly want. It is literally across the street from the Cipro metro station, outside the tourist fray but close in, walking distance to Vatican and the proprietor - an international flight attendant who lives nearby with her family - is a gem. Probably one of if not the best AirBnB we've had over the years.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 07:58 PM

Take a look at RomeLoft. We rented from them a couple years ago and were very happy. It looks like they have quite a few apartments in you price range. I agree with your choice of area, but also look at Campo de Fiori which is close to the Piazza Navona.
Old Sep 26th, 2019, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! I will look into the suggestions.
Old Sep 26th, 2019, 11:16 AM

Our family of four stayed in the Residenza Del Cedro in Trastavere in April 2020. Rooms for rent Residenza del Cedro Roma
It worked very well for us, and the owner (Giuseppe) was fab. Not sure if it will fit your needs, as we only had two boys and they shared a bed, but the master bedroom was enormous so you could probably fit more people in there. It was two rooms, a bathroom, and a private roofdeck with a hot tub. Location was amazing - we walked all over Rome and never needed to even take public transport.
Old Sep 26th, 2019, 11:17 AM

Sorry, I meant April 2019!
Old Sep 26th, 2019, 11:33 AM

I have used some of these other apartment booking agencies, but never AirB&B. I've never really had a bad experience with apartment rental agencies, even with some that generally get bad reviews. However, there have often been inconveniences involved, especially in the handover of the keys.

I now prefer booking.com because nearly always you don't have to leave a deposit, and payment can usually be made by credit card. (I really dislike walking around with large amounts of cash.) I've never had to make an appointment to meet an agent, which is a pain if you're arriving by air or train and may experience delays. I do often have to indicate an approximate time of arrival, and call the proprietor when I'm in the vicinity.
Old Sep 26th, 2019, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by family5travels
My family of 5 will be traveling to Rome next June. We have 3 children, two teenagers and an eleven year old. I am overwhelmed with my research for accommodations. We would like to stay together in an apartment or adjoining rooms. We like the Pantheon/Navona areas from our research but are open to other areas. We plan on visiting the main tourist sites. We like to be able to walk to many places and have the convenience of nearby restaurants and cafes. A washing machine will be an added convenience, but we can use a local laundromat. Our budget is approximately 300-400 euros per night.
Thank you!
I am about to leave for a 10 day stay in Rome. We are staying at the Palazzo Olivia. I know they have a family suite with 2 bedrooms and two bathrooms in your budget. We have stayed there 3 times before and loved the location. It is right around the corner from Piazza Navona. You can book through Booking.com and cancel with no charge. However I am not sure the Family Suite can be booked that way. You'd have to write them about that.
Good luck searching---it's half the fun of travel!
Old Sep 26th, 2019, 02:30 PM

I have booked this place in Tratsevere which looks really great to me.

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-re...&adultsCount=6

I haven't yet stayed there so can't really vouch for it but the reviews are great. Not too far of a walk to the major sites.
Old Sep 26th, 2019, 03:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Look at the Domus Julia, an apartment annex attached to the Hotel Julia, very near the Spanish Steps. DD and I stayed there and enjoyed it. We had breakfast included, served in the hotel’s dining room.
You will have a kitchen & dining room. Also the use of a full service front desk at the hotel.
https://www.domusjulia.it/

Last edited by MoBro; Sep 26th, 2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

So many great suggestions! Thank you. Now I need to get our itinerary pinned down. The original plan was 5 nights Rome, 2 nights Cinque Terre, 5 nights Florence and 3 nights Venice. I'm rethinking Cinque Terre because of crowds in June. Once my itinerary is clear, I will book and now I have so many great choices that helped narrow my search.
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 01:07 AM

Instead of the Cinque Terre, consider Lake Garda. There are some very charming towns, mountain scenery, and boat rides on Italy's largest lake. Also, Gardaland, Italy’s best amusement park is there. We took our 11-year-old granddaughter there two years ago, and she rates it in the top three amusement park she's visited, all in the USA, apart from Gardaland. Another thing she enjoyed was taking the cable car to the top of Monte Baldo. All in all, much more of interest to the kids than at the Cinque Terre.
Old Sep 29th, 2019, 04:35 AM

I can't offer specific accomodation advice, but we have always enjoyed the Monti area of Rome. Often missed by international tourists, it is very popular with Italians, and has a good number of apartment style accomodations available, metro stops, easy walking distance to the Colosseum, lots of gelato shops and beautiful churches. We stayed in the Hotel Duca D'Alba (now renovated since our last visit) when I was a teenager and thoroughly loved the location.
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 03:12 AM

Yes, the Monti area is very nice, and fairly central.
Old Oct 1st, 2019, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Everyone has been so helpful! I appreciate the advice.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 03:29 PM

Hi family5travels,

I was looking into Rome accommodations for me and my husband. Our trip is in Jan '20. In doing some research, I ran across something that sounds like it may work for you. I know nothing about this place personally; it is just something that others recommended and since our needs are different than yours (just traveling as a couple; kids are grown) it isn't a place that I selected. However, I did look at their website after seeing your post and it seems the price is below your budget and it's in the area you describe. You could get the family room with an added bed in the loft to accommodate 5 or you could get 2 rooms (and still be close to your budget), I believe.

Looks nice from the pictures and some fodorites gave it very good reviews: https://relaisgiuliahotel.it/en/rooms/.

Good luck,

Shelley
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Looks like a great hotel. I will make a note for our return trip. We decided to book an apartment for this trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -