Rome Accomadations

Search

Rome Accomadations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Accomadations

Looking for accomadations in Rome starting March 30th for four nights. We will have three full days there so one day for Vatican area and one full day for Collesium etc...and one full day to just wander. Looking for easy walking distance, probably Collesium area unless someone can recommend a better area. First time visitors. budget probably 100-150 Euros a night....location is very important, don't need high end however do want quality. Thanks in advance. I have searched the forums here and there doesn't seem to be many recent posts.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 12:22 PM

This is recent thread:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...l-artemide.cfm
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 12:40 PM

Island 45,

I just did a quick check with Booking.com and hotel prices for 4 nights in May did seem very high.

If it were me I would definitely go to www.sleepinitaly.com which lists some great apartments in Rome. You would be in about the center of the area you described as wanting to cover if you stayed in the "historic center" which would be Piazza Navona or the Campo d. Fiori. I have rented from them multiple times (as have others on this forum) and was always very happy. There are other very good apartment rental agencies mentioned by other posters.

If you do not need hotel services I think you will be very happy and 1 BR apartments can be about 120 Euros. You will have more space to relax in and a fridge even if only for morning juice and cheese to have with evening wine.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 12:50 PM

Why the Collesium neighborhood? Because it's cheaper? Tons of cars and not the best or most central area (though not "bad", there are just better options).

There are plenty of options in the Centro Storico, that, while more expensive than the Collesium area, are well within your budget:

Here are a few:
http://www.eurocheapo.com/rome/hoods...-de-fiori.html
http://www.eurocheapo.com/rome/hoods/piazza-navona.html

And here's a nice B&B type hotel that is slightly above your budget but has both the perfect location and quality.
http://www.residenzacanali.com/?lang=en
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 03:25 PM

Look at Hotel Smeraldo.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions, I will do some more research.
Lowcountycarol, we are going in March not May, I only chose the Collesium neighborhood because it seemed to be located well however I could be in error there, it ws just a starting point of reference. I just don't want to spend my time trying to find a bus or waiting for a train or bus to take, would like to walk whenever we can. Any more info or suggestions would be great. Thanks
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 05:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Look at Hotel Parlamento. It might be barely within your budget.

http://www.hotelparlamento.it/
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 05:49 PM

Look in the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo de'Fiori neighborhoods. The Colosseum/Forum area is at the far end of the historic center from the Vatican, so somewhere evenly between the two, as in the above places, should work.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 05:59 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Lancelot which is near the Colosseum/Forum area and liked it very much. We loved the location. It may be more than your budget but you can check on it.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 06:18 PM

During four trips to Rome we always stay in the Termini area because it is the hub of Rome transit. It is on the edge but still walkable to everything but the Vatican. The Vatican is about an hour walk which we don't mind. We like the Hotel Sonya across from the Opera House, Hotel Aberdeen and Hotel Contrill. All three stars and should be in your price range for that time period.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 08:48 PM

Hi, we stayed here last June: http://www.bbalcentrodiroma.com/eng/...eservation.php. It was our 3rd trip to Rome, the last time we stayed at a convent in the Monti district but we thought the location of Centro di Roma was more convenient. The rooms are immaculate with lovely ensuites. For breakfast they give you vouchers and you can have an authentic Italian breakfast at the cafe across the square. Also the rooms had aircon. We found we could walk everywhere very easily from here. If you're after hotel services this may not be for you, but there is an internet cafe just on the corner.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 10:51 PM

Third trip to Rome about a month ago.
We stayed here and it was good. A very small B&B. Note though that there is no "front desk" to help with bookings or enquiries. There is an internet terminal that you can use, which may be handy.

http://www.venere.com/bandb/rome/ban...9,20101212,2,1
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 02:40 AM

Try a monastery - you don't have to be catholic. You can book directly with most or you can do some research on www.monasterystays.com. The accommodation is clean and a basic breakfast is included. 100 - 150 euros is pretty cheap for Rome but you will get that in a monastery.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 03:53 AM

Regarding location, charnees described it well.

Draw a line (imaginary or with pencil) on a map from St. Peter's in the Vatican to the Collesium. These are two likely "end points" along the axis that contains most tourists sights. An ideal location, especially for walking, would be somewhere near the center point of that line (i.e. the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, or Campo dei Fiori).

As a bonus, it is also one of the more pleasant areas to "be".
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 04:02 AM

I like the Colosseum area quite a bit and prefer it these days to the very crowded area around the Pantheon and Piazza Navona. I get better value for my money and enjoy the neighborhood overall. I have found it quiet and a nice respite from the busier areas.

I have stayed a dozen or so times in Rome and Hotel Capo d'Africa is one of my favorites though not in the OP's budget. Hotel Lancelot in this same area gets positive reviews and is more affordable.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 04:03 AM

I recommend Hotel Julia. We stayed there this past July (twice) and again in November. In July it was 70€ and in November it was 100€. We did walk everywhere, including St Peters but of course that's the furthest from the "heart of rome". Hotel Julia is five minutes from Trevi Fountain so about as central as you can get.

Here's my review from my summer trip report -
Hotel Julia Via Rasella, 29 - 00187 Rome www.hoteljulia.it [email protected] Telephone :+39 06 4881637 wi-fi, breakfast. The hotel says it’s located on a quiet street and it really is, from either direction when your turn down this street, Via Rasella, it is noticeably quieter. The hotel is in a couple of old palazzos, next to each other. The “Domus Julia”, where we stayed the first two nights, has several floors of ‘suites’ consisting of a common area and three rooms. So if you are traveling with a group you could book the whole thing. It was newly renovated, very clean, quiet, room and bathroom were both huge. There was satellite TV and a mini-fridge. Internet does not reach the Domus so you have to go to the breakfast room in the main hotel next door for wi-fi. When we returned to Rome we stayed another three nights, this time in the main hotel. Room was a little smaller (but still fairly large) but internet worked in the room. I actually preferred it over the Domus Julia which is considered better. Extremely friendly staff. The breakfast was good – The usual buffet style selection. It’s a 2 block walk to Piazza Barbarini (which has a metro stop) where there were several inexpensive restaurants. We really like Soby’s which is a pizzeria and a tavola calda (meats, pasta, veggies, fish, kebabs) with very well air conditioned dining room.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 04:21 AM

Don't have a hotel recco but agree with charnees for areas in which to stay. Bus, tram will get you everywhere.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 04:35 AM

http://www.orbitz.com/hotel/Italy/Ro...ole_Hotel_Rome

Metropole light years better location and hotel for me

sales from 145 euro or $189/nt check TripAdvisor reviews

on the others like www.hoteljulia.it moderate ok not great

Lastly if you do not mind bidding www.priceline.com check

www.betterbidding.com pick up the 5 star Intercontinental

Spanish Steps from $180/nt if careful I have awesome deal.

As of Jan 11 there is a new city hotel tax of 3 europppn also

you will need to add on top of that.

Happy Hunting,
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 06:29 AM

I second the opinions of those recommending the Campo/Navona area. Of course, it just depends on what you want. This area is quite crowded, and around the Campo it gets pretty loud most nights. But it's more centrally located (equidistance to the Collesium and Vatican, generally the eastern and western ends of the historic center).

My wife and I stayed in a fabulous apartment on the southeast corner of the Campo di Fiori last March (March 11-16), which is close to the time you are going. We absolutely loved it. We booked it through vrbo.com for approx 100E/night.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank for all of your suggestions. Darby00 do you happen to have the VRBO number for that apartment as I have been used VRBO before and have had good luck. Dan5, the B&B you recomended seems to fit our budget as well. Do you remember if the beds were standard double beds or were they queen.
That confuses me in the explanations. Love hubby dearly but a double is just too small.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -