ROME !!

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 05:18 AM
Bob

ROME !!

My wife & I are planning an 8 day vacation to Rome in Sept or Oct. Which month would be cheaper for flying?

Is it better to stay in the city itself or on the outskirts? If the outskirts, is it easy to get to the city sites?

Any suggestions on bypassing lines for major tourist attractions? Are there any discount cards for sites?

Is it worth taking a day trip to another town while in Rome? Any suggestions? Pompeii, Florence??

Appreciate all comments and suggestions!

Bob

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 06:27 AM
Ed

You might find fares a bit lower in October ... it's still pretty much 'peak' season. Crowds will be less the later you go. Early October is one of our favorite times to visit Rome.

Stay in the city!
-Why spend precious time commuting rather than seeing sights?
-Walking about Rome can be tiring. We enjoy occasionally dropping by the hotel for a short rest between sightseeing stints.
-Eating in Rome is one of the principal pleasures. You'll find far more choice in restaurants in the city. And city life is enjoyable at night, including people-watching.

Few shortcuts to lines. Reservations can be made (must be) for the Villa Borghese, Nero's Domus Aurea, Vatican Gardens and St. Peter's Necropolis. Otherwise equal access for all. Unaware of discounts for North Americans. Museum and attraction tickets are reasonably priced, though.

Many daytrip options if you've enough time in Rome. Allow at least 3-4 days to _skim_ the major sights. Florence would be a number one choice ... only 2 hours by hourly train. Deserves more time but you can skim the top in 8-10 hours. Pompeii's a _long_ day trip. Assisi, Orvieto and Perugia some other options. Near to Rome (and somewhat of an alternate to Pompei) is Ostia Antica, the ancient port of Rome. Lots of ruins and a great place for a romantic picnic.

Much helpful info for Rome visitors at www.twenj.com/romevisit.htm

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 08:06 PM
steve

Definately stay in the city. I have stayed in the Termini area and near the Spanish Steps and prefer the latter. The area around Piazza Navona would also be a good choice.
On one visit I did a day trip to Florence and it was fine, but made me want to go back and spend more time there.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 12:27 AM
Susan

Stay in the city! We just returned from a week in Rome, staying at the Hotel Morgana, in the Termini area. Very nice, good value. Only drawback of the Termini location is that it is too far from the wonderful restaurants in Old Rome. The dinner hour begins late, at 8pm. Outside the city would be *way* too far to make the trek after a long day of sightseeing. The more centrally located you can be, the better.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 05:05 AM
Karen

Everybody above gave great advice. Stay in the area near Piazza Navona, Campo dei fiori, Pantheon. You'll be in walking distance of almost everything, a short taxi ride from everything else, and right smack in the middle of the best restaurant, people watching, window shopping in Rome. You will probably have splendid weather either month.