Romantic stops in Italy

Search

Romantic stops in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Romantic stops in Italy

My hubby and I are planning a trip to Italy in May to celebrate our 10 year anniversary (and surviving cancer this year!) and need some itinerary help. We are flexible anytime in May since we haven't bought any airline tickets yet. I have never been to Italy; he visited Rome and Florence in college. We are going for 10 days total, including travel time.

I absolutely want to visit Rome and Venice. I'm deciding about whether to do any other areas. The Amalfi Coast? Lake Como? Cinque Terre? We had not planned to rent a car during our trip, so we may be dependent on public transportation. We wanted to visit Rome first to sightsee and then relax and recover in a more romantic location.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old Nov 17th, 2008, 11:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think just Rome and Venice would be perfect for a 10 day trip. Easily done by train. You could fly into Venice and out of Rome (or the other way around) to avoid backtracking.

I would not try to squeeze in more, particularly if you do not want to rent a car.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 11:23 AM

Congratulations on everything!

With 10 days, including travel time, and two very, very rich destinations already your unalterable heart's desire, I recommend that you stick to just those two destinations with some clever planning to make sure you wrap yourself in romance.

For Roma, think about staying in Trastevere, or Aventino -- which offer village-y qualities in the heart of Roma. Carefully pick your destinations to make sure you include some quiet interludes away from the crush of tourists: a dinner near Portico d'Ottavia, a lunch on the via Margutta, a day trip to Orvieto.

For Venezia, find the perfect hotel away from the crush of San Marco, on a canal in a quiet quarter. Take advantage of the many music concerts in the evenings. Linger over coffees in cafes. I suggest a trip to the island of Torcello to see the Basilica and have lunch -- or if churches don't interest you, try Burano instead.

If you really feel you need a break from the long train trip between Rome and Venezia, think about spending one night in Ferrara. Arrive in time for relaxed cocketails and dinner. The next morning tour the town and buy the makings of a lunch to eat on the train to Venezia, making sure you arrive in time to enjoy cocktails with a pretty view.

Buy first class Eurostar tickets. Pack light.

Have a great trip -- and come back!
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Not knowing your tastes or budget, I'll offer my favorite Venice hotel recommendation. www.lacalcina.com

The front corner rooms overlooking the Guidecca canal are very nice. Breakfast is included in the room price.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 11:53 AM

Congratulations rwhitlocksmith on your upcoming 10th wedding anniversary and your good health!

I agree that with ten days Rome and Venice would be perfect.

Some people find Venice is more relaxing when they first visit Italy as they find Rome "hectic". But Rome can be very relaxing in my experiences if one does not schedule every moment to sightsee.

One good thing about flying into to Venice and departing from Rome is that usually the flights Americans (assuming that you are) need to take depart Venice very early in the morning.

Another thought for a stopover while taking the train from Rome to Venice is to stop and spend one night in Bologna. I like Ferrara but to me Bologna would seem more romantic. Both cities have wonderful food!

The train ride between Rome and Venice is about 4 1/2 hours so you may just want to travel between these two wonderful cities without making a stop.

Have fun planning your wonderful trip!
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 12:09 PM

I agree with the above recommendations about sticking to just Rome and Venice for a 10-day trip. We just came home yesterday from Italy and stayed in just two locations over two weeks. It worked out perfectly.

La Calcina in Venice was great. Nice to have breakfast ready for me each morning!

Where are you flying from? Most flights departing Venice leave early in the morning, but Delta has a flight that leaves at 11:45am - so we didn't have to get up early and were able to really enjoy our last night in Venice. It flies into JFK, and there can be problems if you have to connect to another flight.

Let us know your budget and interests, and where you are flying from, and we can give you more suggestions.

I know you'll love Italy!
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 01:37 PM

Best wishes to you both! Wonderful time of year - everything blooming or in bloom.

I would go for the last ten days of May. 2 June is holiday so everything is closed.

Love the idea of 2 destinations. Romantic day trips from Venice are Padua and Verona. Packing a lunch for the train is always a wonderful idea.

Sunsets in May from the rooftops of Rome's hotels - Raphael, Minerva etc. are gorgeous.

You'll love Italy.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 02:43 PM

I've taken three trips to Italy in the last seven years and love everywhere I go.

That being said -- and bearing in mind that your time on the ground is short -- I would think about diversity. Rome is indeed very hectic but unequivocally a not-to-be-missed destination. Venice bubbles over with romance and is one of the most unique places on Earth. However, in both instances, be prepared for literally hordes of tourists.

Accordingly, you might want to change gears and perhaps try spending a day or two in a quaint hill town. Andrea and I just came back in September from Italy and spent several days in Orvieto. It is generally in the Rome region. While there ARE tourists there everybody seems very relaxed and unhurried. Although technically in Umbria, it is cradled by the classic Tuscan countryside which is magical beyond belief. The streets are narrow and quirky and oozing with character. There are little shops and wonderful mom and pop restaurants -- it's continual city-wide passeggiata (nightly stroll) that happens all day (with or without the delicious gelato easily obtainable there). This to me is a quintessential Italian experience, especially when the moon glows over the steeples of an 800 year old church or a jumble of cottages. Perfect! In any event you will certainly appreciate the slow pace and breathe-ability vis-a-vis Rome and Venice. But of course I love those places too.

I envy you -- congratulations and ENJOY!
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 03:18 PM

Since Orvieto is only one hour away by train, it's possible to enjoy it as a day trip.

It's hard to pick the quintessential Italian experience. I suspect it's different for everybody. My favorite view of Orvieto at sunset is not from inside the town, but from outside it.

http://wvs.topleftpixel.com/photos/2...ng_tall_01.jpg

but the view from Aventino in Roma is too shabby

http://www.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~nisimura...meAventino.jpg

Romans, too, love their passeggiata, but only at night, especially if they can get in some window shopping and gelato eating at the same time.

Old Nov 17th, 2008, 03:21 PM

This link for the view from Aventino should work:

http://tinyurl.com/5ul7pj
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 05:06 PM

rwhitlocksmith

I don't know if your on facebook but I have some pictures of Montecantini Italy. I thought it was one of the most Romantic and Beautiful places in Italy.

Check out the city online. I'd love to go back with my DH.

Have a Wonderful time with your man.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 05:18 PM

If you have only 8 days on the ground you really don;t have time for more than Rome and Venice. In fact, you'll still be missing things in Rome and Venice with so few days. (That gives you 5 days in Rome, 1 part traveling a and 2.5 day in Venice - really a basic amount of tie for each.)
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 05:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you decide on a Rome + Venice trip, and depending on where you live, you might find it easier to fly into Venice and out of Rome. Look into your flight options before you finalize your itinerary.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 06:46 AM

Open jaw (fly into one airport - fly our of another) is always a great idea in Italy to save time and eliminate backtracking.

I would do Rome first then Venice.

I would not suggest more than 2 destinations, unless the third is on the way, like Orvieto, Bologna, Ferrara, or Padua, and you have compelling reason to schlep bags to hotel, check in etc. then check out next day. Otherwise, I would stick with 2 and do day trips.

Enjoy!!
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Everyone, thank you SO much for your advice! My hubby and I sat down last night and looked at our options based on what you recommended----we decided to stick to Rome and Venice when planning our trip.

We wanted to use our Starwood points for flight/hotels/both. We were able to figure out last night that we can get airline tickets for the end of May (fly to Rome, home from Venice) and have enough points left over for 4 nights of hotel. Starwood has a deal where if you stay 4 nights, the 5th is free, so we think we are going to do 4 nights on our own in Rome and 5 nights Venice at one of the Starwood properties.

We're considering staying at either the Gritti, Danieli or Westin in Venice. Any thoughts about the 3? The Westin will take a LOT fewer points, but are the other 2 worth it in your opinion?

If we're paying for our hotel in Rome, we are open to staying anywhere. Our budget right now (because we're putting most of the vacation on points) is pretty flexible.

Any recommendations about day trips from Venice in case we have time? We had considered stopping on the way from Rome to Venice but aren't as interested in any of the possibilities. I'm heartbroken that we won't really have time to explore the coast and wish we could work that in instead. Are we spending too much time in Rome or Venice? A lot of trip reports I've seen on the boards have 3 days or so in both with other destinations squeezed in between.

We're interested in seeing the sights in Rome and Venice but want a little down time to rest and relax, too.

Thanks so much again!
Robin
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 11:05 AM

Good for you--that will work.
I think the Westin is more than adequate--I would go for it.
For Rome, here are my favs:
BOB’S FAVORITE HOTELS IN ROMA

All are located in the centro historical area of Rome and within a :20 walk of many of the major tourism sights. All prices assume a standard double room:

SMALLER B&BS: Prices will range from 130E to 200E—average 170E

* www.nicolasinn.com Near Colosseum with helpful hosts

www.daphne-rome.com Tasteful B&B in 2 locations—good press

http://www.banchivecchi115.com Nice B&B near Piazza Farnese

FULL SERVICE 3 STAR HOTELS: Prices will range from 150E to 220E

www.albergocesari.it Great location & my wife’s favorite

www.hotelteatropace.com Near Piazza Navona—opened in 2004

www.lancelothotel.com Nice hosts near Colosseum—good reviews

www.hotelsancarloroma.com Near Spanish Steps & shopping area

www.smeraldoroma.com Good location and decent price

www.hotelportoghesiroma.com North of Piazza Navona—has quad

NICER 4 STAR HOTELS: Price range from 240 to 320E

* www.locandacairoli.it Newer Boutique hotel near Piazza Navona

www.hotelpontesisto.it Nice modern hotel near Jewish quarter

http://www.residenzafarneseroma.it Very nice near Piazza Farnese

BUDGET 2 STAR OPTIONS: Prices from 90 to 140E for double in season

* www.hotel-giardino-roma.com Good location and nice people

* www.solealbiscione.it Popular place near Campo de’ Fiori

Old Nov 19th, 2008, 11:29 AM

There is a Westin hotel in the Lido in Venice and you do NOT want to be on the Lido. I believe there is also one in San Marco, which I otherwise know nothing about, but at least it is central to the sights.

One of the problems with bob's Roma recommendations is that they exclude Trastevere, which many people consider one of the most romantic and least hectic areas of Roma. You have plenty of time between now and your departure date to research the various neighborhoods in Rome and decide where you would like to be and ask for recommendation in that area. People can advise you better if you tell us your budget for a Roman hotel.

As for the general worry about spending "too long" in one place, you really do have the option of enjoying day trips if you find yourself eager for something different. Before you leave, be sure to have researched the logistics of a day trip to Verona, Torcello or Treviso from Venice. From Roma, Orvieto is an excellent choice -- and to keep you from being heartbroken -- do some internet research about how to visit Gaeta, Sperlonga on the Pontine coast near Rome, or visit Lake Bracciano.

http://www.travelblog.org/Europe/Ita...og-260909.html

http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/lazio/bracciano.html

http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/lazio/ponza.html

Have a great trip!
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

All---

Thank you, thank you! Your suggestions are wonderful, and I can't wait to visit all the sites you've suggested. Bob and Zeppole, thanks so much for the links and your advice. I don't think I can wait until May!

MaMaw, I am on FB, so feel free to send me a friend request. I would love to see your photos. (And, by the way, funny that my little girl calls her grandma "MawMaw" as well!)

Best,
Robin
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 02:21 AM

I think the Westin in the San Marco area (Europe Regina) quite wonderful. It is directly across the Grand Canal from the Santa Maria della Salute church and has a floating dock where you can enjoy cocktails and watch the gondolas assemble to sing Santa Lucia. it also has a lovely restaurant with those same views of the church, the canal and the gondolas--doesn't get any better than that. And it's off the heavy traffic streets from the land side--so you will feel be able to relax when you finish sightseeing for the day. Far better in this respect than the Danieli which is directly on the heavily trafficked Riva Degli Schiavoni.

I could get very relaxed on that floating dock at the Westin. Enjoy.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 06:16 AM

I hasten to say that heavy traffic in Venice does not consist of cars and trucks, just people -- or maybe vaporettos, gondolas, taxi boats, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -