romantic restaurants in Paris?

May 7th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Judy

romantic restaurants in Paris?

We will be in Paris for our 25th anniversary and would really appreciate any suggestions for a romantic restaurant. It doesn't have to be ultra-gourmet, just with great food.

Thanks

May 7th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Rex

Chateau d'Esclimont at St, Symphorien, about 40-60 minutes outside Paris.

Best wishes,

Rex

May 8th, 2002, 05:11 AM
Julie

Chez Julien (not to be confused with Julien, the bistro) is a tiny lace-curtained place on the corner of Rue du Pont Louis Phillipe and Quai de l"Hotel de Ville in the 4th just over the bridge from the Ile St. Louis. A scene from the Accidental Tourist with William Hurt was filmed there. It's all candle lit and flowers and a painted ceiling.

May 8th, 2002, 05:16 AM
elaine

I'm another fan of Chez Julien, and it rarely appears in guide books so there's nothing touristy about it. In the 4th, corner of 1 rue Pont Louis Philippe and 62 rue de l’Hotel de Ville. Telephone 42-78-31-64. Closed Sundays
They have a set menu as well as a la carte offerings. Wine available by the glass or of course by the bottle.
Dinner for two last time (Dec 00), with a couple of glasses of wine, was about the equivalent of $100, more now I'm sure. The set menu is less expensive, with fewer choices.

Jun 2nd, 2002, 11:38 AM
up

up

Jun 2nd, 2002, 01:04 PM
S. C. DIXON

Very nice, excellent food, reasonably priced, easy to reach

Le VIENNOIS RESAURAUNT
118 RUE DE DAMES

TEL
01 42 93 34 40

www.leviennois.com

Jun 2nd, 2002, 03:47 PM
alex

My suggestion for a romantic dining experience (on which everyone has an opinion, it seems): La Tour d'Argent, 15 Quai de la Tournelle, 01 43 54 23 31. Penthouse restaurant with a spellbinding view of Notre Dame and the islands, all the more spectacular when the sights are lit for the evening. Wine cave nonpareil, more than 500,000 bottles. The proprietor, Monsieur Terrail, will visit to inquire about the success of the staff's efforts to make your evening memorable.

Close: Le Grande Verfour, 17 rue de Beaujolais, 01 42 96 56 27. 18th century origins, said to be a favorite of, among others, Napoleon and Victor Hugo. Ambience ethereal. Cuisine exceeds that.

Slightly less pricey, though fits your description: L'Orangerie, 28 Rue Saint-Louis-en-l'Ile; 01 46 33 93 98. Charming island. Charming rue. Charming, refined and cosy restaurant on the main drag.

Happy anniversary.

Jun 6th, 2002, 10:20 AM
DavidK.

Alex,
My wife and I were at Tour D'Argent when we went to Paris for our honeymoon 12 years ago, and loved it. We're going to Paris in July and I want to go to a fine restaurant again. I've read posts that Argent is not what it used to be, service, food, etc., and am debating whether to try another fine place (e.g.Taillevent, Grand Vefour, Jules Verne, etc.) to experience, or go back to Argent and "re-live" the experience we had before. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Jun 6th, 2002, 12:18 PM
wendy

I am also a fan of Julien, (it was used in the film 'Accidental Tourist')...

On the back side of Montmartre, some locals call this the most romantic restaurant in Paris, on rue Lamarck called 'Beauvilliers'
...beautiful, warmly lit with candles, garden, antique decor, major flower arrangements and terrace overflowing with gorgeous ivy and flowered vines, fabulous food.
Happy anniversary!
Wendy

Jun 6th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Patrick

David K, for what it is worth, I believe that if you have a really magical memory of a great meal -- don't screw it up by trying to relive it. I have done that a couple of times and it never seems to live up to the original -- perhaps the original event has been embellished in my mind over the years to seem even better that it was. I say, pick another great restaurant instead and keep the memory of that first meal at Tour d'Argent.

Jun 6th, 2002, 01:07 PM
ellen

I'd recommend Chez Julien, with the caveat that if it's busy, the tables are so crowded together you won't be whispering sweet nothings. We were there last week on a Tuesday and it wasn't crowded.

Jun 6th, 2002, 01:24 PM
marciab

Le Train Bleu inside Gare de Lyon. It is a strange place for a restaurant, but once inside, it will knock your eyeballs out. You feel like you are eating in one of the Queen's private rooms at the Palace of Versailles.

Jun 6th, 2002, 01:27 PM
DavidK.

Thanks Patrick.

Jun 6th, 2002, 01:43 PM
toni

Wendy,
What would we wear to Chez Julien or Beauvilliers?
Also, love you email address!

Jun 6th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Aude

My favorite because it has more locals...Le Bellecour in the 7th.

Jun 7th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Violet

Jules Verne - 2nd level of the Eiffel Tower - spectacular view - wonderful food - perfect service