Romantic Dinner in Paris?

Jan 22nd, 2001, 03:45 PM
Hillary

Romantic Dinner in Paris?

My Husband and I will be in Paris for our Anniversary, does anyone have any recomendations on romantic restaurants (in the winter)?

Jan 22nd, 2001, 04:56 PM
Thyra

Hillary, my husband and I had the most romantic evening of our lives at
le Fermette Marbeuf Built in 1900 with some absoltely exquisite art deco stained glass from the Bell Epoch... My heavens this meal was 4 stars, perfect Paris unbelievable. From the complimentary champagne, to the escargots, my husband's file mignon.... It was the single most fantastic night of my live in the finest restaurant I have ever imagined.

FERMETTE MARBEUF 1900 (LA) - FF - Restauration Classique
5 Rue Marbeuf; 75008, PARIS

We made reservations a month in advance.

Jan 22nd, 2001, 05:15 PM
Larry

Hillary, if you go to www.zagat.com and search for Paris, go to "lists", click on "Top Romantic", they have six. However, Thyra lives in Hollywood where they have a gad zillion good restaurants so I would respect her opinion........

Jan 22nd, 2001, 05:27 PM
Thyra

Thanks for the vote of confidence Larry, but it seems the only time we get to really splurge on fancy dining is while on vacation. Here in Hollywood is pizza delivery man and Taco Bell....
*sigh

You can look up the Fermette on the web. Sorry don't have the URL

Jan 22nd, 2001, 06:56 PM
Diane

For the most romantic I've been is La Troufierre. The downstairs area is a cave. Fantastic food, pricey, great service - and one added bonus is they don't require a jacket be worn. They have an internet site you can search for.

Feb 2nd, 2001, 06:30 AM
Angela

It's a splurge, but well worth it. Le Grand Vefour at the Palais Royal in the 1st is oh so romantic. It's haute cuisine and the price is also haute. The setting is incredible -- painted glass ceiling, 18th century decor, red velvet banquettes, 100% Belle Epoque. Plus, the Palais Royal is one of the most romantic spots in Paris at night.

I also like Le Train Bleu in the Gare de Lyon. Going for a coffee or tea is a must on any trip to Paris.

Feb 2nd, 2001, 09:21 AM
mike

Hillary - the advantage that Le Grand Vefour has is that its selling points (ornate decoration, sitting at the table where Dumas etc sat, cooking) are not seasonal! It has fairly recently been upgraded to 3 stars by Michelin (just after I went).

It may well be the most spectacular restaurant I have eaten in (excepting the lack of view). However, I am convinced the quality of the food is oversold. For romantic setting in winter, a good choice.

Another one to consider in the same mould is Taillevent. I may try that next time.

And I still want to go to Jules Verne - but I tried and failed to book for one of three nights TEN WEEKS before arrival. Le Grand Vefour were running out of tables as well. Book early.

Feb 2nd, 2001, 09:35 AM
Jim

Hillary,
The website for Formette Marbeuf is:
http://www.fermettemarbeuf.com/anglais/default.htm
There are photos of the restaurant along with the ability to make reservations on their site.
Be sure to request the main dining room when making your reservation. We didn't when we made ours, and they tried to seat us elsewhere but we did get seated in the main dining area after standing my ground. The food was very good as well as the service.

Feb 2nd, 2001, 10:42 AM
chris

I agree with Diane. La Triuferrie is
great-somewhat expensive with wine dinner for two is about $200.00 US.

but is is fabulous. It is located in the fifth a little side street.

Downstairs isa cave . have a good time.

Feb 2nd, 2001, 10:53 AM
John

As an homage to tradition I'll mention a table at Tour d'Argent with a nighttime view of Notre Dame.

Feb 2nd, 2001, 11:09 AM
Bob

See John above. La Tour Argent is one of the oldest restaurants in Paris in the same family. It has hosted Kings, Queens and Presidents and all their pictures are on display.

They are famous for duck. We had dinner in a room where the window overlooks Notre Dame on the other side. I think the place has been serving dinner in the same location since the 1700s. Good choice anytime, but expensive.

Feb 2nd, 2001, 11:10 AM
Lori

A third for La Trufferie (Hi chris, that's my hubbie!). Absolutely wonderful, romantic meal. Also, I thought the time we had wine and cheese on our balcony at the Familia was kind of romantic too! Watching the sunset, a little wine, a little cheese, a little...............

Feb 3rd, 2001, 09:25 AM
Quicksilver

Hi Hillary,

I can't make a first-hand recommendation, but a friend of mine had a lovely dinner at Ladurée on the Champs-Elysées. Anyone else have comments on this place? I know it's a cliché, but to me it seems like the Romantic Paris Dinner(tm) just *has* to be on the Champs-Elysées, finishing with a leisurely stroll toward the Arc de Triomphe...

The décor is nothing short of sumptuous (check out their website at www.laduree.fr) and my friend says the meal was excellent (he had the fish of the day, served with a tapenade, for what it's worth).

If you do go there, be sure to bring home some macaroons for your friends and family; I got some, and they were magnificent!

Have a wonderful anniversary,

- Quicksilver -

Feb 4th, 2001, 06:18 AM
Angela

Hello Quicksilver:

I've eaten at Laduree and it is indeed very good. The Laduree omelette is one of their specialties; it's excellent. The salads and fish dishes are also delicious. And, yes, their macaroons are wonderful. Plus, I thought the service was among the best I've seen in Paris. Oftentimes the service in places in such tourist-heavy areas can be snobbish or aloof. It's always nice when a waiter (who speaks excellent Engish) listens to your French and makes you feel as if you're not butchering the language at all.

Angela

Feb 4th, 2001, 07:45 AM
Donna

My husband and I have dined at Jules Vernes and Maxim's (and we're trying Le Grand Vefour for lunch on our next trip). But, one of the most romantic dinners we ever enjoyed in Paris was at Chez Julien (1 rue Pont Louis-Philippe). It's right next to St-Gervais and two short blocks from the river. Tables are set outdoors in the nice weather. In the beautiful dining room there are "moleskin banquettes" are, gorgeous ceilings, beautiful carved bar, vintage mirrors, vases of fresh flowers everywhere, carved art nouveau chairs, white linens, candles, lace curtains, roses on tables, windows open all around with delightful breezes. At the top of the beautiful staircase was a poster with Marilyn Monroe (in the white dress over the subway grate from "Seven Year Itch") in front of Chez Julien! The menu here is splendid! The three course menu for 160F is a steal, but we went a la carte. Started with champignons bordelaise and a salad with pine nuts. Those mushrooms in that sauce! Then, we both had huge (and plenty), perfectly cooked, Coquilles St. Jacques in a really, really, tasty sauce with cream and herbs, accompanied by tiny haricots vert and julienned carrots, along with perfectly carved potatoes. As our main courses were being served, I heard music and looked out the window to see an organ grinder and lady with a tambourine! In this beautiful restaurant, with the wonderful breezes blowing the lace curtains, the gorgeous church across the way, delicious food, and music...it could not have been more romantic. I had creme brulee (old fashioned, in a round au gratin, browned under the broiler so the custard was warm) and my husband had "Parfait au Cafe", a perfect round of coffee ice cream (thick and flavorful) in a pool of coffee sauce garnished with chocolate coffee beans. A truly fine meal! Our tab was 809F with a bottle of water, two drinks each, and coffee. (Here, as in most restaurants, coffee is not served until the dessert plates have been cleared.) Another very romantic and reasonably priced restaurant is La Ferme St-Simon in the 7th. Beautiful rooms with lovely yellow table linens, wonderful food (best lamb I've ever had), really friendly service, very moderate prices.