Where to stay not too far from Shannon

Jan 31st, 2001, 08:08 AM
Meg

Where to stay not too far from Shannon

Hello, my parents are flying into Shannon and are looking for a nice town and B&B suggestions for one night before they come join us in Glengarriff, Co. Cork for a week. They will be renting a car so someplace between Shannon & Glengarriff would be best, but within an hour or so drive (Irish time) of Shannon airport. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Jan 31st, 2001, 09:44 AM
xxx

I think the town of Ennis is near Shannon. I stayed there a few nights as a home base and found it to be a charming little town. But you better check the map and see the distance, since everywhere in Ireland takes a lot longer to get to and from.

Jan 31st, 2001, 12:20 PM
Christopher Woolson

Meg:

Check out http://www.TownAndCountry.ie for a list of B&Bs by county. You can check them out online, their ammenities, photos, prices, etc. and make a selection from there.

Best of luck!
Christopher Woolson
http://www.flamingo-travel.com

Jan 31st, 2001, 03:14 PM
Cathy

Meg,
If your parents are joining you in Cork then the best place for them to stay would be enroute to Glengarriff - Ennis is not enroute. Have they decided which route to take down to you. The best may be via Limerick - as there are roadworks on the other major route. Adare is a lovely village just outside Limerick and might be a good place to stop (search this site for recommendations on B&Bs in Adare - it is a popular stop for people flying into and out of Shannon) otherwise Bunratty mear Shannon - they could visit the Folk Park and recover from the trans-altantic flight. Both Adare and Bunratty are near Shannon and would mean that the drive the next day would be longer than on their day of arrival.

Hope this helps,

Cathy

Jan 31st, 2001, 03:19 PM
kam

We stayed our first night in Adare as Cathy suggests, but we stayed at Dunraven Arms Hotel which is not a B&B. The town is charming and a perfect place to walk around in the sunshine (hopefully) to recover from the jet lag. Driving was quite easy from there to Co. Cork once we were in the correct time zone. I had also considered the Bunratty Castle Hotel (not a castle, but next to the castle) but it was totally booked month ahead. That would be a nice day for the first one as well. Going to Adare, it is easy to bypass Limerick City on the highway. It was a concern of mine and didn't need to be.

Feb 3rd, 2001, 10:54 PM
Amy

HiMeg!
We also stayed in Adare our first night after flying into Shannon and would definitely recommend it to anyone as a great idea! It's an easy drive,too. We also stayed at the Dunraven Arms Hotel which was Lovely!!! Adare is a much more charming place to stay than the Bunratty Castle area, but Bunratty is a nice place to visit in your way to Adare!

Feb 4th, 2001, 06:53 AM
Lee

AS Cathy mentioned, Bunratty is on the way and a good choice. It isn't too far from the airport and is on the way south. I hae been to Ireland a few times and always make this my first stop. The last time , I stayed at Dunaree B&B,
Low Road,
Bunrattey,
which is located right down the road from the Folk Park and is only about a 10 or 15 minute drive from Snannon.

Dunaree is a beautiful , modern B&B and Penny is a wonderful hostess.
Tel 061 369 131
[email protected]

Any of the B&B's on this Low Road would be great. They all look nice.
Good luck.
Lee

Feb 4th, 2001, 07:53 AM
ginny

Hi Meg: Flew into Shannon this past Sept., rented a car at airport and spent first night at B&B in area before heading to our destination. Can recommend Ashgrove House B&B on Low Rd., Bunratty. Owner is more than gracious. Irish Tourist Board sent me the book. Like the above said, any of the B&B's on Low Rd. are fine and ITB approved. Direct drive from airport, first time in Ireland, did not get lost it was that easy.