Romania

Apr 13th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Romania

Hi All; It's now official, my granddaughter is doing a semester in Central Europe. Germany, [Sept] Romania, [Oct] and Hungary Nov/Dec]. We thought it was going to be Hungary in October and were ready to visit her there. But we have been there and never to Romania, so we are delighted. Our intent is to visit the first two week of October, hoping that the weather will be a bit mild. Her home base will be Cluj-Napola. We will probably fly RT to Bucharest, rent a car and stop in Sibiu for a few days, before going on to Cluj-Napola. So besides visiting our granddaughter as much as possible, our interests are 'medeival towns/cities, castles and concerts. I think Bucharest is questionable, but will listen to your thoughts. I have priced flights and found Delta at about $748 RT which seens reasonable. We would have to double back to get our flight. So I did look at flying home out of Cluj-Napola and it was close to $1000. Suggestions more than welcome on accommadations, flights and whatever else. THANKS iris1745/dick
Apr 13th, 2009, 03:48 PM

Brasov (Old town Square) and Sinaia (Peles Castle) are beautiful cities just north of Bucharest. Depending how much time you have the painted monasteries - Voronet, Humor at Gura Humorului and others - are absolutely incredible. Did not get to Sigasora but were told it too was worth a visit. We were there in mid-October and it was quite cool (raw wind forty F.) at night in Brasov, which is at a higher altitude than Bucharest.

We spent most of our time volunteering in the northeast, so I don't have much info. for the area where your GD is headed.
Apr 13th, 2009, 04:00 PM
yk

Hi iris1745/dick-

I have nothing to offer about Romania, but there are some really good reports here. I've posted the links below, in case you couldn't find them (none were tagged with the Trip Report tag).

Clifton's trip from 2004:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...nd-cabbage.cfm

Noe847's trip from 2006:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...to-romania.cfm

WillTravel's short trip from 2007:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...m-the-road.cfm

Hope this helps
Apr 13th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi gpotvin; Thanks much for that reply. iris1745/dick
Apr 13th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi yk; Thanks for that great resource. In doing a quick review, I found a fodor's friend on one of the trip reports. I have been having an interesting colique on Red Sox baseball with this person. Stu T. He seems to know a lot about Romania and because of your post, I will now talk to him for additional info. My wife and I are very excited about our visit in October. However, first things first. We leave for Portugal and Spain on Friday with my daughter and son-in-law. And you are leaving soon on your trip to Vienna and Budapest. We have a friend who has a boy in the Vienna Boy's Choir. He is in his last few months and only singing in the cathederal on Sundays' [I think]. Have a great trip. iris1745/dick
Apr 13th, 2009, 05:35 PM
yk

Have a great time in Spain and Portugal with your family. We will be attending the Sunday mass at the Imperial Chapel in Vienna to hear the Vienna Boy's Choir sing, so you can tell your friend that their son will have a few American friends in the audience!
Apr 14th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi yk; The 'choir' has four sections and Clemens is in the Haydn Choir. So it depends on your what Sunday you are there. This is their web site. www.wsk.at/ iris1745/dick
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:36 AM
yk

We'll be there on april 26, and it is the Haydn Choir singing the mass.
Apr 14th, 2009, 08:18 AM

Click on my name and you should find my trip report on Hungary and Romania.
Apr 14th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Michael; Thanks iris1745/dick
Apr 14th, 2009, 01:16 PM

If you land in Bucharest with your final destination being Cluj, you can do the following, depending on how much time you have between the time you get to Bucharest and the time you have to get to Cluj
- head northwest, through Sinaia (Peles Castle is definitely worth a look), Brasov (beautiful medieval town, good accommodation options available, Bran Castle is in the immediate vicinity), Sighisoara ( UNESCO heritage, the only inhabited citadel of Europe, great stop, you can see enough in a 2hrs stop), Sibiu (largest Transylvanian town, good museums) and then end your trip in Cluj Napoca
-head northeast, visit the painted monasteries (many of them UNESCO heritage, Voronet being the most famous one, you need a full day to see all that matters) and from there work you way down southwest to Brasov or even Sighisoara, and continue sightseeing from there
Click on my name and you will find there some suggested itineraries.
Apr 14th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Hi Vlad; Thanks, exactly the type of information I am seeking. I will look at your other 'posts'. iris1745/dick P.S. Michael; If only I could do trip reports in depth as yours and many others on Fodor's.