Reload this Page >

Romance In Paris...

Search

Romance In Paris...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 09:19 AM
RF

Romance In Paris...

My husband and I are going back to Paris this summer and would love your take on a romantic night. Restaurants, an evening 'out on the town', etc. We have been on the dinner cruises before and liked them, but would like to try something else. <BR> <BR>Thanks a bunch!

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 09:56 AM
Autumn

I don't know much about the nice restaurants in Paris, but we had fun watching the sun set on the banks of the Seine from the Ile St. Louis with a bottle of wine. There are enough people around to keep you feeling safe, but not enough to be overcrowded.

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 11:28 AM
elaine

You may not care about how it looks, but sitting along the river in Paris with a bottle of wine puts you in the local wino category, from what I understand. <BR>There are however, other places to picnic. <BR>For romantic suggestions, if your budget can handle it, dinner in a place with a view like the Jules Verne restaurant in the Eiffel Tower, or in the restaurant <BR>Tour d'Argent are highly thought of, as is dinner in any one of the seemingly thousands of less-expensive and very romantic restaurants or bistros. <BR>I think just walking in Paris at night, on the Champs Elysees, or around Place de la Concorde (despite the traffic) or on Ile St Louis, is pretty romantic. <BR>If you do a Search on this forum for Paris and Romance or Romantic, there have been many previous suggestions on this topic, some quite recent.

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 02:33 PM
Caitlin

I just returned from Paris, and the most romantic times my boyfriend and I had in Paris were free to cheap and not planned as romantic--but they were. After visiting the Musée d'Orsay Thursday evening, we walked back to our Latin Quarter hotel along the Seine. There were few people around, and it was cold, but we felt safe and it was very romantic. Sunday evening was spent at the Parc du Champs de Mars, in fromt of the Eiffel Tower, watching the sun set, the sky darken, and the tower slowly light up. Again, only a few others around, and very romantic. Aftera rainy Monday evening at the Louvre, we found ourselves having a late dinner at a tiny and simple bistro in the 6th, Le Vieux Casque. Not expensive (3 courses 5 la carte plus house wine were about $40 for two), dark wood paneling and tapers on each of the ten or so tables made it the perfect romantic, rainy-night-in-Paris place. Conditions will be different in the summertime, but there you have it.

Old Apr 13th, 2000, 07:02 AM
RF

Thanks everyone! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't 'missing' any fun night time activities. It is indeed the most romantic place in the world - just being there is enough to make you fall in love all over again!

Old Apr 13th, 2000, 08:56 AM
genie

the Eiffel tower at night has got to be the most awesome (and romantic) sight. the most romantic evening I ever had in Paris was at a neighborhood restaurant (not found in any guide book) where we ordered the fixed price menu with wine---it was absolutely perfect!! and walking back to the hotel afterward--just being in Paris is romantic.

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 07:21 AM
jwagner

Add my vote for the dinner at the Eiffel Tower. You need to make reservations online before you go but the food is good and very reasonably priced and you get a wonderful view of the city. This was our one splurge on a budget trip last month and we were delighted to get by with a dinner for two for less than $120 with the house wine.

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 12:46 AM
Julia

We went to the Jules Verne restaurant that is mentioned above on the Eiffel Tower for a special 40 birthday treat. HA! The food was AWFUL! Just dredful. <BR>And extremely expensive to boot. The meal was one of the very worst in our lives (and it was the most expensive too). The Jules Verne restaurant reminds me of the Emperor's New Clothes story.

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 12:55 AM
Julia

I just read the post above mine here that says the food is good at the restaurant on the Eiffel Tower...well, there is more than one restaurant there. <BR>The Jules Vernes is VERY expensive (our meal for two cost well over $250 dollars) and just *dreadful* food. This is what I found about them during an online search.... "the Jules Verne; it is a very tiny restaurant (only a handful of tables), with a great view. (Be sure to reserve at least a few months in advance, and bring lots of money.) There is also a more ordinary restaurant on the first platform, called Altitude 95; prices are lower, and you don’t need to reserve months in advance, and the view is still great (it faces the Seine River). "