Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Romance in Barcelona: How would you do it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I will be in Barcelona in a few weeks for a long weekend "mini-break." It's our anniversary and Valentine's celebration. So! I'd love to hear ideas about how to spend the time. Restaurants, museums, shows (dance or music), walks?

We have our hotel already (NH Duc de la Victoria) which is free due to our hotel points.

I'd like to find a restaurant for a special night out. Something romantic and special. And we could do between mid-price and relatively expensive (up to 50 Eur per person). Something memorable. Perhaps Il Giardinetto because of it's design?

What do you think? I'd love to hear! Thanks!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 03:31 AM

"Romance in Barcelona: How would you do it?" led me to expect a rather different discussion, LOL.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Perhaps I should leave the title as is then! It wasn't my attention to be "cheeky" but it takes a lot to get noticed on these boards so maybe its just as well!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 04:48 AM

Have you considered a hotel catered in-room dinner?
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 07:11 AM

I was in Barcelona in May. It's a wonderful city, and I'll go back again the first chance I get.

Since you're asking about cool places to hang out, I suggest:

1. Tablao de Carmen

* If you're interested in an authentic Flamenco show and a nice dinner, this is the place for you and a date. Even if you just want drinks and a show, you can do that too.
* The atmosphere is an intimate one.
* It's located in Poble Espanyol
(You can make reservations online: www.tablaodecarmen.com)

2. Fat Tires Bikes

* It's on Escudellers, further up the street from La Fonda
* They offer great and inexpensive city bike tours. It's cool to take a tour early on in your stay. You'll find many things to do and see on the tour so when you're alone, you know what places to check out and what to get into.
* Ask for Ivan. He's great! He's from California, but has been in Barcelona awhile now.

3. Guru BCN

* It's on Josep Anslem Clave, right off of La Rambla
* This lounge/club has the best Mojitos ever!
* The vibe there is really cool. There's good music and out-going attractive people (staff included)
* There's a guy who works there named Mauricio. He's real open, and he'll take you around and introduce you to everyone.

4. La Fonda--Restaurant

* It's on Escudellers, right off of La Rambla
* Hands down this is the best restaurant in Barcelona. The food is great, the atmosphere is trendy/classy (yet you can wear what you want), and the prices can't be beat. (Try the goat cheese salad w/ salmon)
* The place is very popular so the line can be long, but trust me; It moves fast, and it's worth it to wait.

5. Passeig de Colom

*On this street which is just across the way from Port Veil beach, there are several really great bars.
* There's one bar that serves Sex on the Beach in a HUGE mug, and 6 people can get drunk on the one drink. I can't remember the name of the place, but if you walk down that street at night, you can't miss the people sitting at the outside tables w/ 32 oz. mugs.

Have fun!

Ciao,
teneriqueza

P.S. Don't ask anyone for the time. One night I was walking down Avinguda de Parallel, and I asked the first person I saw for the time. Long story short...I got cursed out in Catalan by a 6'3 drag queen prostitute with a lisp. *-)