Search

Roman London...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Mike

Roman London...

I'm a big fan of Roman sites. Will be in London and will visit the London Museum and a "London Walk" re:Roman London. I know they built walls around the city - any left? Any other sites in "Zone 1" (tube talk) that a visitor could walk up to and get a felling for the blokes who made it all happen? Thanks, Mike.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Tammy

Part of the Roman wall remains inside of the Tower of London. Also part of it still remains right outside of the tower at the tube stop. As I recall, the Jack the Ripper walking tour started beside the Roman wall.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 01:12 PM
beth anderson

yup, she's right. turn left as you exit the tube (Tower Hill) and the lower half of that wall is Roman.<BR><BR>I went on the Jack the Ripper walk last Tuesday (Donald Rumbelow is great, try to go on one he is leading) and that was the first thing he pointed out.<BR><BR>check out<BR><BR>www.walks.com - I think if you emailed them, or called - they could tell you other walks they have which may highlight this...

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 01:24 PM
Patrick

If you can spare half a day, take a trip up to St. Albans, just north of London (easy by train). It has quite an impressive Roman site and museum.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Laura

And I think they may have the oldest pub in England, Ye Olde Fighting Cocks. St. Albans is a beautiful and very lively town, with a lovely cathedral. Just past that is where you will find the pub in a beautiful setting-- it is nestled right by the water.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 05:58 PM
Ben Haines

<BR><BR><BR>In the Museum of London you can buy the Ordnance Survey map of Londinium, which will give the whole picture for the city, including the patches of wall already mentioned, and the foundations of the Temple of Mithras, moved and re-set at the Mansion House end of Queen Victoria Street (The Christians aren't so lucky. The only known Roman chapel is in Kent, at Lullingstone: you can see the plasterwork in the British Museum's rooms for Roman Britain).<BR><BR>Then deep in Kings College on the Strand is a Roman bath, which you can see through a window any time in daylight. It's down steps to the west halfway down Surrey Street.<BR><BR>Sorry - no great collection of sites. But then, we weren't an important city like Plovdiv. Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London.<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR><BR>

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 12:35 AM
Ginger

There's no site to visit, (as archeological excavation still in progress as far as I know), but to get you in the "Roman London" mood you may want to check out reports (on the net)regarding the remains of what are believed to be a female gladiator. This is interesting as no other similar remains have ever been found anywhere in the world. Remains were found in Southwark (south bank) close to what was a Roman ampitheatre than held around 7,000 people. I find it really strange to walk in that area imaging how it might have been. Do a search on "remains female gladiator" and you'll find a few reports. <BR><BR>The British Museum has some interesting exhibits and there are Roman sites to visit outside of London, some towns (Chester and York) have quite extensive Roman walls. <BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 10:15 AM
mike

Thanks everyone for the feedback. This will surely get me started. M.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 02:38 PM
Ben Haines

Ginger: I thought the famous leather bikini in the Museum of London was from a female gladiator. Wrong ?<BR><BR>Ben Haines

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 03:50 AM
Ginger

You're kidding me aren't you? It isn't April 1 so maybe you're not! How wonderful - I'll be in London next week and will delight in checking it out. <BR><BR>However, Ben, a leather bikini does not a female gladiator make. Last year's excavation found female pelvic bones and dishes portraying female gladiators, (alas, there was no indication of whether Miss Gladiator was wearing leather, Gucci or Chanel!) <BR><BR>