Search

NYC GTG

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 05:39 AM
bobbie

NYC GTG

Well, we did it! Last Saturday 14 loyal fodorites met for lunch in NYC. It was great meeting everyone and I think we're thinking about doing it again, maybe early next year. So for those of you who were unable to attend this gathering, maybe we can meet in 2002! Everyone have a wonderful Thanksgiving. This year we all have something to be very thankful for. Let's roll!

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 05:43 AM
Ess

Let's here more about the meeting. Who attended, where did you go, how was lunch, what did you do? Details, please! :0)<BR><BR>P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, Bobbie.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 05:55 AM
Betsy

Was Art there?

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 06:01 AM
bobbie

The event was patiently planned by Elaine Lavine. After many suggestions for restaurants, because New Yorkers all have opinions, we ended up at Lumi, 70th and Lex, which was a nice small, Italian restaurant. I think we were all surprised by how expensive it ended up being, about $39 pp, but it was a three course price-fixed and a glass of wine so maybe not too bad. Lunch was good. Very tasty salads and gelatto for dessert.<BR><BR>Elaine had suggested that we bring an item from our travels to talk about, like a grown-up show-and-tell, and it was very entertaining. Julie had a stitch of a story but maybe you had to be there....carol shared her participation in a pagean festival, I think in Italy, and Judy recalled her experiences as a "tour guide" in Haiti, a role that she had not been advised that she would be assuming! I had to leave after a couple of hours so I didn't get to hear from everyone but it was a very enjoyable group of people to be with. Like a big blind date!<BR><BR>So who was there, elaine, of course, debra, judy, charlotte, marc, ken, alex, sherry, emily, carol, julie, another julie, and myself

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 06:03 AM
bobbie

No Art wasn't there but maybe next time?

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 06:28 AM
Lori

I'm sorry that we couldn't attend. I originally said that we would, but it turned out that we had just returned from Paris. Not a bad excuse, eh? Looking forward to the 2002 meet. Glad everyone had a great time.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 06:37 AM
carol

and Meg.<BR><BR>Art lives far far away from NYC, if you're talking about Art Hussey. Most people were from NYC, a few from CT, one (me) from NJ, and one from as far as Pittsburgh, PA.<BR><BR>Re: Julie's story: Yes, definitely had to be there. Re: mine, yes it was a pagan tree festival in Basilicata. Marc also did a show 'n tell about the jacket he was wearing.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 06:44 AM
Meg

Thanks, Carol, I was there!<BR><BR>It was fun to meet you all, now I have a mental picture to go with your posts.<BR><BR>Happy Thanksgiving.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 06:48 AM
Sherry

Hoping this note will catch all of you at one time. I had a great time at the luncheon. So nice to meet all of you. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 07:22 AM
Julie

I think it's fair to say that a good time was definitely had by all! I didn't know what to expect (did anybody?), but I thoroughly enjoyed the lunch and the opportunity to meet up with everyone. Oh the wealth of information that you can get from 14 people who all share a passion for travel. My head is swimming with tips, websites and possible new trips. Thanks Bobbie for posting a post-gathering tidbit and thanks again to Elaine who had the tenacity to organize us. Hopefully we will be able to get together after the Holidays as someone had suggested. P.S. You couldn't be more on the money about my story - you had to be there.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 08:28 AM
s.fowler

Are there any pictures??? <BR>They would be most welcome for the unofficial "fodorite" site

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 08:35 AM
Carol

Since we seem to be gathering here, myabe I can get the word to two of you that Elaine may not have your correct e-mail address.She sent everyone a post GTG e-mail. If you didn't receive it, you should probably contact her to correct your addy. Reason I know this is that I tried to send a T-G greeting via "reply to all" and some were returned as undeliverable (sorry, I don't remember which ones, but if you didn't get Elaine's message, you're one of them).<BR>Carol a.k.a. green heron, h&eacute;ron vert, airone verde

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 08:39 AM
bobbie

Sorry Meg, you were indeed there and off to Naples soon! Have agreat trip! Carol did you take pics? They probably haven't been developed yet but if you can figure out how to get them on the internet, we'd love to see them.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 08:53 AM
Ginny

I am looking at the names of people that have attended and I am thinking that I need to hear the posting namesto understand who they are.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 11:54 AM
green heron

If they post, you'll see their posting names. If they don't, you won't. I'm sure you'll understand that it's up to the individual to decide what to reveal here.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 11:57 AM
sss

looked like a joke green heron lighten up!

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 02:16 PM
another

sssss.. you are not paying attention!

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 08:24 PM
KenCT

Since I'm more of a lurker than a poster, I definitely had second thoughts about this luncheon. What an attractive, well-travelled, and sophisticated group! And Julie's story was truly "show and tell." <BR><BR>My one small quibble is that, although the folks seated all around me were delightful, there really wasn't an opportunity to mingle with everyone. Perhaps next time, and I sincerely hope there is a next time, we could just meet someplace with a large cocktail lounge, with tapas or sushi or something like that. Food was clearly secondary to the socializing and the stories.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 09:58 PM
Art

Glad you had a good time. Maybe I will make on one of these days, after all, its not far from Chicago.<BR>

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 04:07 AM
carol

I didn't think we were so "sophisitcated." We can be very bright and interesting and knowledgeable and friendly (which we all were , yet not really be "sophisticated," which, to me, is not such a wonderful quality.<BR><BR>Another possibility, is maybe we could meet and DO something together, like a city walking tour or a museum visit or a craft show--something where we wouldn't have to sit still and be quiet (i.e., not theater or concerts for that reason).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -