Search

Roma Pass

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roma Pass

Is it best to get Roma Pass before or when in Rome and if in Rome, where?

I know to make reservations prior to visit so I will do that but didn't know if you needed a pass # or something to make reservation...

Also, Liras (?)/Euros...get "some" money before trip at local bank and use ATM for rest of trip once in Italy? Does that sound right?

D.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 07:28 PM

You can buy the Roma Pass once you are there from any of the Roma Pass accepted sights and from reputable vendors. We purchased ours from a kiosk outside of the Vatican. You can google Roma Pass and read about all the possible places you can purchase the Roma Pass.

You don't need the Roma Pass to reserve in advance for the Borghese Gallery. When you go to buy the ticket 1/2 hour before your appointed entrance time, you will need to have the Roma Pass then.

I also take about 100 dollars worth of euros with me to guard against an ATM malfunction early on. I did experience that in July when my request for money was not honored. I had to call BofA from the hotel to clarify it was I, even though I had called from home the week prior to tell them I'd be using my card in Italy. Bring home some euros with you so you will be all set for your next trip.

See if your bank has a "sister" bank in Italy. You might save on a withdrawal fee usually about $5.00. I think 250 euros was the max we could take out a day.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Janeyre- Wow! Thanks for the quick response. We leave exactly 2 weeks from today and I am trying to narrow things down.

I called bank re: cc's and will call again day before we leave to make sure all is good and will STILL get some euro's to have, good to know.

I have another question, our hotel bookings say to pay with euro's at check-in vs. with cc# they have on file to hold room which we will have with us as well but do we really have to have that much money on hand at check-in ? Have read that some say that but do accept cc, just didn't know others experiences.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Janeyre - Or should be charge it all before we leave? Same difference I guess. Right now, they just have deposit money.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 07:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The only place you need a reservation for the Roma Pass is the Borghese.You can buy the Roma Pass at the airport. At the Commune di Roma booth, not the tourist info booth.
http://www.romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=8

Italian lire hasn't been used since euro replaced it in 2001(?).
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 05:33 AM

Hotels get zapped with a fee when customers charge which is why some want cash. Some hotels offer discounts with cash, too. If you want to charge it,see if you can, but again you might be getting a better deal with the cash. Ask the hotel if they need all in full up front or ask if can you pay as you go like two nights up front at a time. That gives you time to withdraw max. amounts from your ATM every so often.
Make sure you are getting some kind of discount w/ cash or for a long stay with cash. Don't be hesitate to ask via an email. Is breakfast included or is that an extra charge? Don't pay too much for a hotel breakfast.

If you pay in full though before, ask about cancellation policies, just in case.... I have never paid in full for a Italian/French hotel before I have arrived. They hold the credit card number until I arrive, then I pay cash or pay with the card at check-out.

How exciting! Two weeks away!!
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 10:28 AM

We prefer to buy our passes online and pick up when in Rome. We get them at the Termini location where they are ready and waiting.

Besides being convenient, we pre pay for as much as we can before our trips to Europe often including hotels. Works for our budget better that way.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 12:12 PM

I bought the Roma Pass at the Office of Tourism in Rome Termini Station. Go to the second floor, follow signs to the 25-29 Plataforma (platform). The Office of Tourism is right by the platforms, can't miss it (i symbol outside). I just made a 10 minute line and bought two passes, no reservations; quick and easy.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 12:20 PM

Regarding monies: definitely get to Rome with some Euros in you. The mind is not at its sharpest after a transatlantic, overnight flight and that would be one less thing to worry about if you want to get a soda/coffee/tip at the airport. It would ease your mind; minimum 30-50 Euros. I typically go to AAA ahead of time since I am a PLUS member I buy Euros from them at the same rate US Banks get them. They do not charge me a commission.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 02:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you pre-pay, you are asked to check a pick-up location. Pay attention to hours open. If you are not using the train, you might not want to trek over to Termini (which has the longest hours) to pick up your pass.
http://www.romapass.it/(S(dd5j0x45m5...=en&t=acquisto

Viajero2 - There were several people posting about seeing if they could get money from AAA and only certain branches (and only a few states) offer that service. People that checked into it said fees were charged and the rates weren't good. There are multiple ATM's in the Rome airport which will give a better rate than AAA.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 03:48 PM

I thought it was a nationwide AAA program, but yes, apparently only certain AAA clubs offer it. Live and learn. I have used them for years and no bank or exchange service has ever beat them. It has worked great when we had rentals and needed to bring a substantial balance amount in cash (Euros). I loved my AAA!!!
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 12:16 PM

One plus: since the Euro's arrival you can find them in any good-sized US city, as opposed to the days when banks didn't always have a stock of a dozen European currencies. So finding 50-100 at a bank somewhere near you is not going to be so difficult. One hopes.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 05:18 AM

if you buy the Roma Pass in Rome at a tourist center, can you use a credit card--or is it just cash
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 06:55 AM

Yes, you can use credit card.