Rock of Cashel, Cahir, Kilkenney, Powerscourt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This seems a bit ambitious but would like to know your thoughts. My g/f and I will be in Ireland in May and have a huge itinerary planned. On our way back to Dublin we were hoping to (and we are heading out from Bunratty, near Limerick) to see Cahir Castle, then The Rock of Cashel, then going through Kilkenney, stopping at Black Abbey, St. Canice's Cathedral and tower, Kilkenney castle, then swinging into Powerscourt to see the waterfall. Does this seem doable at all? We were maybe even thinking of just swinging THROUGH Cahir just for some photos because it seemed a bit much, but actually stopping at the Rock. Thanks for all that help.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 02:39 PM

With an early start, all bar Powerscourt should be possible in a day. Cahir Castle will not detain you very long and Kilkenny is a compact city with your sites relatively close together.
Kilkenny now has a motorway connection (most of the way) to Dublin, but to include Powerscourt..... You will need to use the M50 eastwards on reaching Dublin, then heading back south, direction Bray. To try to drive Kilkenny - Dublin by coastal route to call at Powerscourt en route is likely to be tiring after spending a good few hours behind the wheel already.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 02:40 PM
P_M

I don't see a time frame for doing all this. How much time do you have? Keep in mind driving in Ireland is not like driving in most places. You will be lucky to average 40mph.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 02:42 PM
P_M

SeeDee we were posting at the same time. I didn't know about the motorway, good info.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 02:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh - I do hope the rest of your itinerary doesn't look like this!

Just the driving from Bunratty to Dublin through those way points would take 5.5-6 hours w/o ANY stops. w/ even just a short stop at each place (an a short stop isn't really doable at some of those sites), and lunch and you are looking at about 11 hours.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 03:07 PM

BTW - my 5.5-6 hrs did take into account the M7 and M8. Even the aggressive times on the AA route planner calculates 4hr 50min, so 5hr 30min is about a best case scenario. Still would come to about eleven hours total w/ stops.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 03:12 PM
P_M

I asked for a time frame because I'm assuming the OP isn't going to try and do all this in one day, but I could be wrong. Jason, please say it isn't so.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 03:28 PM

P_M: I <i>think</i> (fear ) Jason does mean doing it in one day. Otherwise why mention maybe not stopping at Cahir and 'swinging' into Powerscourt.

Jason . . . Please tell us I'm wrong! . . .
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Well...I did mean in one day but I also planned on leaving bunratty very early so that I arrived at my first destination (Cahir or Rock) as soon as it opens. And Powerscourt falls has no closing time (that I could find) so I figured as long as there's daylight...I could also probably hit Powerscourt the next morning as I am staying at Fitzpatricks in south Dublin, but flying out at 2pm. I don't have much to go on and according to Google Maps it is a 3 hr trip taking the route through those areas, about one hr to Cahir and if we only took photos and moved on then our day would begin at Rock as soon as it opens.

Again, as far as driving times, I only have what Google tells me.

This is my first trip there and who knows if I'll ever get here again so we just wanted to take in as much as possible, writing down points of interest and whatever we can fit, we fit.

The day before we were going to do Blarney and the Ring of Kerry but it seemed much so I wanted to cut Blarney but she really wants to do the one "touristy" thing there so I cut Kerry out completely and moved over a bit and decided to do Blarney, then visit Cobh (I enjoy being in the presence of history and was always interested in the Titanic tragedy). I suppose on that day if there's time we can head up and maybe do the Rock or Cahir? Who knows. This trip has us traveling all around Ireland in 6 days so we're taking in as much as we can. Someday we may be able to get a well priced package to one particular area and visit again, but there's many places in the world we would like to see also. That's why we're trying to grab as much as possible.

Our main interests on that particular day/area are The Rock of Cashel, climbing St. Canice's Cathedral, and visiting Powerscourt Waterfall. I appreciate everyones input but again, it's our first trip to Ireland, don't know if we'll ever get back there, and want to at least SEE as much as possible.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 06:48 PM

I'm sure you plugged in Bunratty and Dublin on google. But you aren't going straight from Bunratty to Dublin - you have to include all the 'via's' to account for the side trips and detours. There is no way on Earth you could drive to those places in 3 hours.

"<i>This trip has us traveling all around Ireland in 6 days so we're taking in as much as we can.</i>"

The problem is no matter how much you want to squeeze in -- it just ain't possible. Ireland roads don't let you travel over about 30 MPH (except for the few motorways)
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 11:28 AM

use www.viamichelin.com as a source, use the miles to calculate 35mph unless on a motorway. I'd second the thought that you could do it all, minus Powerscourt (which is a shame, Powerscourt falls are lovely). But you also want to be able to SEE what you see. Green Blur is no fun.
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 09:03 AM

I'm exhausted. You can certainly give it a try and then start cutting things out as you move along. Personally, I would do Cashel, then Cahir then take the N24 to the N76 to Kilkenny. I think the Kilkenny stop is folly though and you are very unlikely to get in to see the castle. They are all guided tours and the later in the day you arrive, the less likely it is you will see it. You don't get to just walk in to see the castle though you could walk around the grounds which is mildly interesting. Even if you get a castle tour (unlikely) you will probably have to wait for more than an hour before it starts. Then wander around and find your way to the cathedral, though you could get your tickets, race to the cathedral and back but ugh, this sounds like a poor plan.

You will probably need at least an hour at most stops and Kilkenny will be at least 3 probably 4 hours by the time you get in, park, wander around, get lost, wait for the tours ... blah, blah, blah.

I wouldn't consider it a good idea to stay in south Dublin, then drive south and then back north and try to catch a plane.

Traffic could be a nightmare. If you are looking for advice, I say don't do it. If you are just looking for reassurance, you likely won't find much here but like I said, go for it and don't be too disappointed when it doesn't all get in to the day. You will at least be able to say you've been to Ireland and seen it, but you won't have experienced it at all.
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 04:30 PM

FYI, Powerscourt waterfall hours are listed on the website. In May it's open 9:30-7:00.
Old May 27th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Well, I must say that after reading the replies I was EXTREMELY nervous about this trip. That being said, we had a wonderful time and the driving was not nearly as bad as people were stating. We did, however, change a few things around along the way (took Sligo out, spent 2 days in Dublin instead, did Powerscourt Estate and Waterfall one of THOSE days). So, our third to the last day we had Blarney, Cobh, Cahir, and Cashel on the itinerary. We didn't think we'd pull off all 4 but figured since Powerscourt was done, we could do Cashel the beginning of the next day on our way to Kilkenny then dublin. We hit blarney as it opened, were the first to lay our lips upon the blarney stone, then looked around, checked out Blarney house, then walked through the rock (garden? or whatever it was called) Took plenty of photos but neither of us were interested in taking the 1.5 hour walk around the whole grounds. So after and hour and a half, we felt ready to move on. No rushing at all, but no lingering either.

Then to Cobh to visit the harbor from Titanics past, ate lunch walked around the town, took photos, visited the cathedral...probably another hour and a half.

Then Cahir, spent about an hour here, could have been a bit more but had to move on due to parking having to have EXCACT change and we only put in enough for 1 hour.

Then over to Cashel til they closed. Probably an hour/hour and a half.

We did have a busy week, up early so we can get the longer driving out of the way in the morning and reach our first attraction as it open. But the week was great, driving was nerveracking (narrow roads) but we honestly thought the speed limits were too high (and everyone was saying that driving would be very slow...maybe at first when you're nervous)

Before leaving I mapped out everything on google maps (plus we bought maps, NO GPS FOR US EITHER, JUST MAPS), and wrote down the times between each place so we'd have an idea of where we SHOULD be at a certain time so we can start thinking about cutting stuff out if need me. We were spot on the whole trip and we even got lost a few times.

And wojazz3, Kilkenny was folly in my opinion. We actually attended mass at St. Canice's (for the sake of attending an Irish mass) then climbed the tower, visited Black Abbey, the the castle. We got to go straight in, self guided tour and all. Definately felt, though a nice place and all, that it was definately a tourist trap. I got more of a sense of history from the run down ruins.
Old May 27th, 2011, 02:36 PM

Glad you liked your trip.

The "speed limits" usually make every first time visitor wonder.
It's not a recommended speed, but nothing more than a generic legal limit (regardless of width or condition of road), which often tells you nothing more than that you left built-up areas where a lower limit has ruled.