Robbed in Florence

Search

Robbed in Florence

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robbed in Florence

We were waiting for a taxi after checking out of our hotel. A man stumbled and spilled what looked like hand lotion on my wife. As were were distracted trying to remove this, they walked off with our carry on bags. Reported all of this at the police station but got no help from the hotel. Any suggestions about getting the hotel to pay for our loss?
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:16 AM

>Any suggestions about getting the hotel to pay for our loss?

The hotel? Why? It´s not like they are somehow complicit in the theft (NOT robbery)
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:19 AM

I´m really sorry that it had to happen to you on your vacation, though.

Did you have something like a travel insurance? It might be easier to get them to replace the loss.
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:20 AM

I'm sorry about your misfortune, but it is *your* misfortune. Is there any reason why the hotel should be held responsible for the actions of people who were not (I presume) their staff? Or have obligations to people who were no longer their guests?

I hope you had insurance. That's what it is for.
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
horrible way to end your holiday.

But having said that - Why on Earth do you think the hotel owes you anything?
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:30 AM

thats a gypsy/grifter trick in cities all over the world. I think in NYC they use mustard. Its really too bad but did this even occur inside the hotel? Cant see why they might be responsible.
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:44 AM

My parents just got back from Europe and I told them about this trick because I read it here months ago. I told them that if anyone spills something on you to immediately grab your belongings, luggage, purse, wallet whatever.
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:12 AM

.....Any suggestions about getting the hotel to pay for our loss? ......

Typical Am tourist response ???? Why not sue the City of Florence? They are more responsible for controling street theft than the hotel. Find someone else to blame. Don't take any responsibility for your actions, or lack of action or what you may have contributed to the theft -- too much luggage, valuables in unsecured bags, not paying attention to your surroundings, looking like an easy target, etc.
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:17 AM

Nice.
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:21 AM

I'm sorry, but other than a claim to your trip insurance, you'll have to file this under "lesson learned". It's so sad to end a nice vacation on such a sour note.
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:40 AM

This theft is a variation on an old scam that often involved a newspaper and a squirt bottle of catsup. The scam artist approaches the mark while holding a rolled-up newspaper in which the catsup bottle rests. He squeezes the paper and out comes a squirt of catsup onto the mark. He apologizes profusely, produces a rag or handkerchief, wipes down the mark, thus distracting one and all. While this goes on, his accomplices take advantage of the mess and confusion, often making off with the mark's valuables. This used to be very common in Latin America, particularly on the streets of Buenos Aires. So now you are sadder but wiser. Save your breath, however -- the hotel has no responsibility in this affair. You had checked out, you were off their property, and the event happened on a public street. Sorry.
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:05 AM

Well, you didn't get much sympathy (and, really, I wondered if you were serious about the hotel's responsibility), but thanks for reminding everyone that this scam still exists.
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:06 AM
MaureenB

Thanks for alerting travelers that this scam took place in Florence recently. I'm sorry for the trouble and expense it will cost you.
>-

Old May 25th, 2007, 07:11 AM

Hey "fmpden", give us a break. This is a travel message board, take your political agenda elsewhere and take a long look in the mirror before you make comments like you did.
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:42 AM

So sorry to hear your tale. I got pickpocketed in tiny Vernazza about 10 days ago. I called my husband, he filed a claim for me with our homeowners insurance, no police report was required. We will get reimbursed for part of the loss.
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:45 AM

Beware, kids do this trick in Gare du Midi in Brussels with shaving foam of all things.
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:48 AM

um, didn't really see a "political agenda" in the response by fmpden. it's pretty much a fact of life that lawsuits, often frivolous or even outrageous, have permeated American society. Like a burglar successfully suing a homeowner for injuries sustained while committing said burglary? Remember the McDonalds hot coffee lawsuit? ridiculous but true.
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:49 AM

Shaving foam is far more acceptable than mustard!
It's good to know some homeowners insurance policies might cover these type of losses, I didn't know that.
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:57 AM

Travelnut - when someone says "Typical American Tourist Response", that is just plain rude and ignorant, not a commentary on lawsuits generated in the U.S. (which I would agree with you are over the top). But let's not generalize American Tourists as is so 'in fashion' these days. How does he know that glk11b is even American? Just plain ignorance.
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:10 AM

I'm suggesting that the next poster who uses "um" gets sprayed with ketchup, shaving cream and hand lotion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -