road trip northern & eastern Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2007, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Germany in Sept and plan to rent a car to take a road trip for about a week. Will start & end in Frankfurt area, and would like to see Berlin area. Any suggestions on where to go, what to see, etc. Will be our first time in this area. Thanks for any help, suggestions you can give!!!
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 09:16 AM

I've always wanted to see Potsdam and the palaces there. We were supposed to do that on our last trip to Germany, but my travel partner wasn't feeling well, so we skipped it. I'd also love to visit the Spreewald. It sounds like a truly unique and fascinating place. It's south of Berlin.

The next time I go to Germany....those two places for sure.

Old Sep 1st, 2007, 08:35 PM

Hi
It's a good distance drive from Frankfurt to the Berlin area. Have you checked out a road map? Making the drive I would visit Dresden, Potsdam and then Berlin. Berlin is a large city to drive in. What we did when we visited was after leaving Berlin, where we picked the car up we drove Dresden first. Potsdam, is close to Berlin. We stayed at a Mercure Hotel near the train station in Potsdam, it has parking. Used public transportation to visit Sanssouci. There's a bus across the street from the hotel. Hotel staff very friendly and helpful. Fromm the station you can take a train to Berlin as it is a short distance to get there. If you go, I recommend visiting KeDeWa Dept. store in berlin. We went up to their gourmet food floor, incredible selections. They have several places to eat there, we had a great typical Berlin meal there for lunch. We used both the Fodors and Michelin Green guides to Germany and they were both helpful. Enjoy your trip.

Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 01:29 AM

If you use an online route planner (viamichelin, Shell, etc...) add a time buffer for the tremendous amount of trucks that you will find on that route.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 02:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, mary,

I'm researching a trip in this area at the moment. If you click on the thread headed "sachsische Schweiz" you'll see a whole load of ideas of things to see/do in that area. Ingo is an absolute mine of information and just seems to love answering questions.

regards, ann