Notices

River Cruising in Dec

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:09 PM
Caren

River Cruising in Dec

Will be cruising the Danube River from Dec 1st to Dec 9th from Nuremberg to Vienna. I am sure the weather will be cold, however is there snow in the area and along the Danube River? Any good tips and/or advise of best things to see? Thank you!

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 08:10 PM
AlicetheMagyar

I don't know how you are going to do it, all the boats rides are closed at that time. Good Luck! Oh, did you mean you were bringing your own boat? Sorry maybe I missed understood.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 09:48 PM
Gar

hi there,
Alice is right, there will be no boat in Dec, I ithink they close cruising about middle Oct. Also Nuernberg is not near the Donau, if I'm not wrong cruising stars at Passau. You have to choose annother way of trasportation, or annother time.
anyway, have fun
Gar

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 04:22 AM
Caren

This is a small cruise ship Amadeaus II (about 150 passengers) that cruises stopping at the Christmas Market Places. Includes guided land tours in Vienna, village of Dumstein, Salzburg, Passau, Regensburg. Nights are sailing - days are sightseeing on land. Expect snow?
Caren

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:20 AM
Lanny

Hi Caren: I will be there before you as I leave Saturday for 16 days down the Rhine/Main and Danube. I have visited all the locations you will sail past, back in 1997 and will do so again this year, so if I see anything of note that has changed in the past four years I will let you know. I stayed at Nurnberg for four days in 1997 and spent a lot of time touring the area and walking through the mall in the central city where the Christmas market is located. You should find it very interestsing if that is your thing because even out of season (I was there in late August the first time) the vendors for the Christmas market were extensive. Durnstein, in Austria, is one of the most picturesque cities on the Danube and one of Europe's great secrets as far as I am concerned. Be sure to have a camera ready as you approach because my favourite picture from my trip was taken as we sailed up to the village, with the hill and the castle prison (ruin) where Richard the Lionhearted was held, framed with the gorgeous colours of yellow and blue and white of the church. Also, visit one of the hurigens (wine-making establishments) there and taste some of the new harvest, year old, and aged white wines harvested from the hills around the Wachau Valley. And if you are smart, buy some of them -- they are CHEAP -- about the only thing in Austria that is inexpensive!! -- and wonderful. These wines are not exported, which is a pity: I bought six bottles and brought them back to the ship last time, managed to bring four home with me and wished afterwards I had filled the boat with them! In Passau, about a block up from the dock you will see quite an excellent glass museum, and, as you walk up past it heading towards the church whose spire rises above the town, you will see a small shop on the right hand side of the road where there is a glassmaker who does some of the finest etched glasswork I have ever seen. I bought quite a few pieces to bring home last time around and only broke one, so I am counting on him still being there this year to buy more. I hope you are there for an organ recital at the church: the organ surpaasses belief it is so wonderful. Regensburg could not compare in my mind with Durnstein or Passau, but it was still a very pretty little town to visit.

If you need more, e-mail me after 10 September and I will tell you what has changed/improved/deteriorated since I was last there.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:05 PM
Gar

hi there,
well, so I've learnd something new. Didint know that those boats running that late in the year (travel agency also didnt). The weather is shure not to be told, but normaly You dont run into snow in the beginning of Dec. But prepare for rain and cold wind.
have fun
Gar