river cruises

Mar 31st, 2007, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

river cruises

My elderly mother wants me to accompany her on a European river cruise in September 2007. Can anyone give an opinion as to what these trips are like? I am very active and would hate to feel restricted as to getting off the boat and moving about. Any information you can give me would be appreciated
Thanks
Lesley
Mar 31st, 2007, 08:43 PM

Our only experience with river cruising was Viking Rivers. We were very pleased. Though there was a full itinerary, you could always stay on the ship if you liked.

If you sign up at the various websites, you'll receive e-mail "specials". We receive them from Viking all the time - 2 for 1 packages, free business class upgrade, reduced airfares....
Apr 1st, 2007, 02:43 AM

Hi vanessagillian,

The river cruise company, Peter Deilmann, has some trips with cycling options. I haven't done it, but I think you cycle next to the river -- a way to stretch your legs, I think.

s
Apr 1st, 2007, 03:38 AM

We have only done a barge trip but it is very nice and fun. There is a little bus/van that goes with you to take you sightseeing in your ports of call and I would be surprised if the larger boats don't have the same arrangements for sightseeing. I don't believe the biking option would be possible for the larger river boats as they are for the canal trips.
Apr 1st, 2007, 03:46 AM

Hi again,

The Deilmann cruises also offer golfing, hiking, & horseback riding with their cruises. Just go to www.deilmann-cruises.com, then click on "Theme Cruises" at the top of the page.

Hope you find the right one!

s
Apr 1st, 2007, 04:30 AM

Go to Cruise Critic website (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php) and look under the heading "River cruise." All your questions will be answered. We are leaving for our second river cruise on May 5. Can't wait.
Apr 1st, 2007, 08:34 AM

I think these cruises are one of the best ways for an "elderly" mother and daughter to travel. I have been on a few with an elderly person and it worked out very well.

When you are docked you can go to land of course and run, walk, whatever. If you are sailing you can jog on board and some have mimi gyms. Most of the time we were sailing there was a large group of people jogging on their track.

You can go on the walking or bus tours at the stops while she may choose to stay aboard.

Even though you hate to be restricted you are restricted to where the boat wants to go of course! And there are definite arrival and departure times.

I didn't feel like I made any great sacrifice when I accompanied the "elderly" relative. Have fun