Reload this Page >

RIP Thor Heyerdahl!!!

Search

RIP Thor Heyerdahl!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Upton Bailey

RIP Thor Heyerdahl!!!

Thor Heyerdahl passed away today! They don't make men like this anymore....he was part scientist, part intellectual and part adventurer. At least we can take comfort in knowing that at least he lived a great Life!!!<BR><BR><BR>http://hometown.aol.com/brooklynboy59/index.html<BR>http://hometown.aol.com/brooklynboy5...ge/poetry.html

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Barney

Yeah, I read about the Voyage of the Kon Tiki when I was a kid. It was a fascinating book. I agree, he must have lived a fantastic life!!!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Jody

I remember reading that too ..he was an exceptional personality..glad someone remembered him here...what a traveler he was!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Leilani

Heyerdahl really was an amazing man. The article I read said that at the age of 87, he was still traveling and lecturing -- he made 70 plane trips last year. Quite an inspiration to all the travelers here at Fodor's!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Vinny

He was the ultimate traveler...

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Alexia

Anthropolically speaking he opened up the way we thought about ancient travel!!!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Alexia

That should be anthropologically speaking!!! Well, you know what I meant! I hope!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Wanda Lee

He taught us all how not only individuals could travel long distances, he showed us how entire cultures moved around!!!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:36 PM
garybear

One of my favorite authors, I read almost all of his books growing up.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 02:58 AM
honey

Totally cool dude! Have you read "Green was the Earth on the Seventh Day?" It's about his first trip to Polynesia with his wife. Great book! If you're ever in Oslo, you can see the actual Kon Tiki boat, and another (I forgot which one) in the Kon Tiki museum. If you've read the book, seeing the raft is really cool!!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 03:27 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>I doubt we'll see too many with these talents and experiences again.<BR><BR>If you re read Kontiki, one of the reasons was to prove that man could cross oceans on rafts. The driving force for this was that when Polynesia was rediscovered, they had some inhabitants with blonde hair and blue eyes.<BR><BR>The theory was that Nordic peoples had crossed to North America, travelled to South America, then rafted to Polynesia.<BR><BR>It was not proven, but remains a possible.<BR><BR>Other apparently Nordic settlements outside Europe have been discovered in the Canary Islands and South America.<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 04:40 AM
Amy

Our town library had an illustrated version of "Kon-Tiki." I think I was personally responsible for its wear and tear. Years later when I taught high school English, I made sure I had a copy stashed on my in-class "good reads" bookcase. <BR><BR>Thor, thank you for the adventures you shared with all of us. <BR><BR>