Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Riots in Paris - Staying at Marriott 70 Avenue des Champs-Elysees-Safe to go? Cancel?

Search

Riots in Paris - Staying at Marriott 70 Avenue des Champs-Elysees-Safe to go? Cancel?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

USA Today has a cautionary article in today's edition warning of travel to Paris with the riots. Among other things, it mentions the risk that the airport and trains may go on strike. It forewarns of unrest the next several months, etc., etc., etc. I'm not sure whether the short trip I plan for early May should be canceled. We were going to buy tickets this weekend. We are in view of the Arc de Triomphe at the Marriott and the USA Today article advised of the riots now being there at the Arc de Triomphe. Anyone have thoughts on the wisdom or not of travelling to Paris for the next few months?
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:22 AM

Stop worrying! Don't put your life on hold because of what might possibly happen in a very small section of Paris or France (and these are sections that you as a tourist probably wouldn't venture into anyway). Chances that you'd even run into something are very slim. Your comments from USA Today make it sound as though Paris is going to be under martial law. And, even if there were riots in the area, all you would have to do is walk the other direction to avoid them.

Once we were flying to Paris and all of CDG was closed because of a strike. Our plane landed at an alternative airport and we took the bus into paris. Last week we were strolling around Paris and encountered one of the student protests. It was no big deal. We got some interesting phots of the police all lined up in the riot gear.

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:36 AM

I can remember the student protests in Seoul, Korea back in the 70s. The news programs would give alternate driving routes to avoid the next day's "spontaneous" demonstrations.

One Sunday we were on the top floor of a high rise hotel for brunch. The peaceful protests were taking place nearby.

Someone called us over to the windows. Looking down the avenue we could see that the peaceful protest had turned ugly--the students were starting fires, burning cars, bonfires in the middle of the street, smashing windows of small shops(not sure what smashing the shop windows of some struggling, independent store owner had to do with the protest).

Everyone abandoned the top floor of that hotel pretty quickly--we had visions of the towering inferno.

It's interesting that the demonstrations often happened during exam week.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:47 AM

The worst thing I would be worried about in Paris is if you had to park your car on a street in an area were a riot may occur.

It seems cars are always the biggest casualties of rioting so if your renting one make sure you get the full waiver insurance.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:05 AM
ira

Hi C,

I suggest that by the time you get there the current protests will be over.

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:37 AM

I am living temporarily with my two kids and husband in Paris--My Mother-in-law and an aunt are visiting next week. Obviously, if I felt it were at all unsafe I would leave with my kids and tell Grandma and Aunt to stay home. Instead, we have a full week of sightseeing planned and then we'll be off to Provence! You need to decide for yourself what to do in the end, but truly there has not been one minute of unease, unless you are a protestor or are so unaware as to stumble into a loud mob (which would be difficult, as you can hear them from a distance), you are safe. Yesterday as I was making Provence plans I heard what sounded like a parade, went to the window--and saw about 100 students chanting and yelling in the street. That was it. I live in a residential area in the 16th. As an aside however, Tuesday they are calling for a general strike. This will probably involve the metro to some degree, which means it will be crowded and less predictable--but totally doable. My guess is that in May this will be over--By then there may be something else another group will be protesting over--That is the way here. If they don't like it--they protest--Many times it is successful or they wouldn't do it! If it were me--I'd travel and not worry one minute.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:45 AM

I was in Paris last week while the protesting was going on and eventhough we stayed about two blocks from the College, we didn't see or hear a thing.

What we did see was a strong police presence and we felt safe. Even the day that there were supposed "thousands" of students protesting, we didn't see them. We must have been at the other side of town or something. I also think the media is sensationalizing it.

In any case, you will be fine. We were just told that if we saw a large group of people, to walk the other direction. Apparently, protests are common in Paris.

Go and have fun!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:16 AM

Yesterday the "protests" glass breaking car burnings were in the 7th which is hardly a place "tourists would rarely go" and I am sure that was the point...but I would not cancel a trip because of this...there may not be any more protests in that area...did the article you read mention a casualty rate????
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Paris is not Baghdad.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 09:10 AM

well, it wouldn't bother me and I wouldn't cancel a vacation about it, but I know my comfort level is a lot different and I know Paris pretty well so maybe that's why I wouldn't be afraid and wouldn't be in those areas much anyway (central). I don't know what USA Today said but there was some inaccurate information posted above by someone who claims these were all occurring in areas where a tourist would never be. That isn't true at all.

They are occurring in central Paris and yesterday, the nastiest even so far I think, occurred right between the Eiffel Tower and Invalides. There were some shops broken, cars burnt, etc., now that is really a shame. I have some other opinions on it from reading the French press and what's happening, but won't get into that (they aren't just opinions, but a lot of the problems are not coming from labor strikers, but I think individuals who are using this to re-enact some of the stuff from the last riots and they are from those suburbs). That is beside the point as to what is occurring from your viewpoint, though, who and why it is occurring.

I would certainly think you could avoid them easily enough, however, by not being around them and going into other areas if you see them or crowds or protestors. They are in groups.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:41 PM

ditto mv-rd.
the streets where the rioting occurs are totally blocked off so no one can get in there.

i saw none of what was on the news and we were also two blocks from it all.
just saw all the vans and cops.

i wouldn't even THINK of changing your trip. this isn't a war, after all.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:52 PM

We were in Paris a couple of days after the Madrid subway bombings. On the day was went to the Eifel Tower, we got back to the flat and watched a TV news story that showed a whole slew of soldiers had been guarding the Eifel Tower that day. I don't know if the soldiers just came and went for the photo op, or if we went to the tower while they were on break, or what. My point is, had I just seen it on TV, it would have scared me; in real life, there was nothing to it.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 01:53 PM

We just returned yesterday. The area by your hotel is safe. My acquaintance in Paris lives in the 14th by Denfert-Rochereau and experienced an impromptu demonstration there. We saw lots of police caravans in St. Germain on the boulevard St. Germain and around the Luxembour Gardens and they were there just in case of problems. The demonstrations are at the Sorbonne area.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 02:18 PM

There is no reason for you to change your plans. I live right next to these so-called “riots” and the only inconvenience for me is that there is going to be a transit strike on Tuesday.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 09:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe a grizzly bear or two, Anthony?
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 12:20 AM

I'm leaving for Paris in about 11 hours.

I think that says it all.

Oh, and if I see a protest going on I might join in depending on my mood or if I'm late for dinner.

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 07:33 AM

I traveled to India a couple weeks after the terrorist bombings in the crowded market last fall. There was a terrorist attack while I was there as well. I just deal with it--it is simply a fact of life these days.

I am going to Paris in May with a two nieces and initially brushed off the student riots as nothing. However, I am going to keep an eye on them. Having nieces with you makes you a bit more protective. The worst rioting was on the exact street in the 7th where I am renting an apartment. I don't think I will share this fact with my sisters ;-)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...30897,,00.html

Hopefully all will be calm again in a few days.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 09:26 AM

I would be very surprised if this lasted into May. Eventually the protestors either get what the want (the usual case, as the French government routinely caves in to protests sooner or later), or they will tire of walking through the streets every day and will want to prepare for summer vacation.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Don't let the media psych you out - go and have a great time. We just returned and were it not for media coverage we never would have noticed "riots" - and we're were all over the 5th and 6th arrs.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the replies. We did go ahead and purchase our tickets. We also have a French family who will help us if need be. They live in Paris and we hosted their son as an exchange student a few years ago. Should there by any strikes that prevent our departure (and would require our staying longer at the Marriott--which would be too expensive) we have a back-up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -