Riems? Does anyone know this area?

Sep 29th, 2001, 10:17 PM
charlie

Riems? Does anyone know this area?

I will be in Riems(Champagnue region) for a 1 day during my visit to Paris this December.

Though I have a frommers book,it's too difficult to find a moderate hotel and things to do.

Want to visit some famous champagnue site too.

Sep 30th, 2001, 04:14 AM
james

I've often been there - great place for food and of course champagne. We've always just turned up and checked in to any hotel we fancy. You'll have no trouble doing this in December. There are loads of champagne houses to visit - it doesn't really matter which one's you choose - they're all fun. Don't miss the Cathederale, it's stunning.

Oct 1st, 2001, 06:06 AM
Lori

We stayed at the Best Western Hotel De La Paix, 9 Rue Buirette which was about 500 FF per night. Clean, Modern, Comfortable. Within walking distance to the pedestrian area which has tons of restaurants and shops, and walk to the Cathedral. You will need a car to get to the champagne houses. We have visited Pommery (the best in my opinion), Taittinger, Piper-Heidsick, Veuve Clicoque, and got an introduction into Roederer through a friend. Pommery, Taittinger and Piper you can just go and get a tour, Veuve Clicoque you need a reservation. Roederer, Krug, Charles Heidsick, and Bollinger you must have an introduction from someone in the business. Also, Boyers Les Crayeres is a magnificent, although expensive restaurant - a Michelin 3 star. If you cannot eat there, just go see the place, it is gorgeous.

Oct 1st, 2001, 02:51 PM
Rex

I am not seeking to join the "spelling police" here, but if you are trying to search for information on Reims, you'll need to know the correct spelling.

And my understanding is that the name does not entirely follow normal rules of French pronunciation - - rhymes (roughly) with dance, chance or France (the American pronunciation, not the French) - - but with a little less "n" to it. The key is that the "s" IS pronounced.

But I have only heard this secondhand. I have never been there personally.

Best wishes,

Rex

Oct 1st, 2001, 04:32 PM
mike

I've been there,and you willbe able find a hoteleasily. a better bet is to stay in one of the old chateaus nearby, 18-19th century. Prices for chateaus in France are reasonable as long as you are not in a big city, and the people are very helpful. Lots of good champagne tours to take, one of the best is Piper Heidseck.

Oct 1st, 2001, 05:00 PM
Alec

Rex, you are right about pronouncing the final s in Reims. The French pronouce it like RAAnce, with a very nasal a. If you say Rance with a soft a, like France without the f, they will have difficulty understanding you (this is my experience). There is a variant English spelling of Rheims.
Charlie, when you are in Reims, try to visit the old basilica of St-Remi to the south of the city where the first bishop of Reims, Remigius, is buried, whose baptism of Clovis led to the conversion of the Franks to Christianity. It's usually quiet and the playing of Gregorian chant in the backgroud adds to the devotional atmosphere of the place. I've found a tour of the champagne cellar at Mumm just to the north of the city relaxed and enjoyable. It's open daily, just turn up, costs around 20F including degustation.

Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:40 PM
PalenqueBob

Another interesting sight is just behind the Reims' train station, in an old school where the Allies had their war headquarters later in WWII - original war maps, etc., still on the walls, etc. If looking for Champagne houses to tour, the best ones supposedly are at nearby Epernay, whose houses are more prestigeous - with the famous names in Reims also having caves here. They are all a short walk from the Eperney train station.Epernay is a vibrant regional town but has little of special interest besides Champagne tours. Being on the same line from Paris as is Reims, it's possible for intrepid travelers to see both towns in one day. Reims, however has the stunning cathedral, the tradition crowning place of French royals. Reims is just over an hour by train from Paris' Gare de l'Est, with frequent service. If going by car, there's a beautiful drive along the Marne River Valley from Paris, with the road twisting through a sea of Champagne vineyards and small quintessentially cute pastoral French villages. This is also a great cycling route.

Oct 2nd, 2001, 07:37 PM
steve

Visit the WW1 fortifications just outside town

Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:31 PM
charlie

Thank you for all the informations from a expert.
James, Lori, Rex, Mike, Alec, PalenqueBob, steve!!

That's the reason I have a time in here.

Already I have reserved my rent a car but it's confusing to get out of Paris from Gare du Ryon and back to same place because Paris is very complex to drive and get out of it.

Hope to hearing from yours again.

Thank you again your time and efforts.

Oct 3rd, 2001, 11:11 AM
ritardo

many Champagne houses are closed for long lunch periods - noon to 2 or 3 so plan accordingly. In December they may also be on scaled down hours.

Oct 4th, 2001, 05:48 PM
charlie

ritardo:

Thank you for your smart tips.

Oct 5th, 2001, 08:41 AM
Gaia

December in a chateau hotel: cold, damp and perhaps also closed. Even if I am not being very original, there is a very good Holiday Inn garden court right in the center of the city, with good heating and if you are there at the right time, also weekend rates.

Oct 5th, 2001, 05:38 PM
charlie

Want to know about it is that is related in Champagnue region like Reims, Epernay and others.

I will be in there on December 6 plus 1 night stay and then bact to Paris.

Oct 6th, 2001, 02:29 AM
steve

Charlie - check out the L'ASSIETTE CHAMPENOISE in Tinqueux. (Rex - how do you pronounce that one?) It's an absolutely beautiful hotel (not quite a chateau) about a 2 minute drive from the center of Reims. You'll have no parking problem in december. It will cost about 800 FF per night.

Web site -
http://www.assiettechampenoise.com/

We were just there in August and enjoyed it very much.

Oct 6th, 2001, 05:23 AM
Rex

lah-see-YET shaw-puh-NWAHZ.

Oct 6th, 2001, 11:23 AM
steve

C'mon Rex, I meant "Tinqueux"!
"L'Assiette Champenoise" is easy!

By the way, we heard "Reims" pronounced 3 different ways by the French themselves.

Oct 6th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Rex

Tinqueux is not hard to pronounce, but it is hard to represent phonetically to American English speakers.

Rhymes with "vin deux" or the number "vingt-deux" (these are homonyms) - - but with a "t" sound, and a "k" sound.

Thus, roughly, "taaah-kuuh". I have never known a good way to represent a nasal "in" sound in a phonetic "spelling" that American English speakers would easily understand.

Oct 7th, 2001, 06:50 PM
charlie

Steve and Rex. Thank you for your attention. Steve and Rex.

My visiting day is December 6 and my wounding is that all champagne house would be closed at that time.

Whether go anyway or change my itenerary?
If so Where is the best place to visit around Paris by car in a distance of 2hours within.

Oct 7th, 2001, 08:12 PM
Jo

Chartres would be a good day trip - the highlight being its glorious gothic cathedral.

Oct 7th, 2001, 09:30 PM
charlie

Joe:

Thanks for your new destination.
Regarding Chartres, How do I get to there by car from Paris and Which accommodation is the best there?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO