Riding overnight in trains

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My aunt and I are looking into taking a few overnight trains in Europe and I was wondering for those who have done so, what did you think? What were the benefits/drawbacks? Overall did you have a good (and safe) experience? What recommendations would you have in order to ensure safety?

Thanks in advance!
Carrie
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 05:59 PM

We took an overnight train from Paris to Cannes in 2000. It was a great experience and we slept really well. We did hear that you had to really watch your belongings so we slept with our bags at the foot of our beds (the cots were extra long). We also made sure to bring on a big bottle of water for brushing our teeth in the bathroom b/c the water from the sink seemed less than appealing.
Overall it was a good experience and an easy way to travel.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 06:14 PM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34651411
"Is an overnight train a fun experience?"
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Travelnut: Thanks for the link regarding this topic! Still getting used to searching for topics/navigating Fodor's--I appreciate the help!

It really sounds like it's 50/50 between people who like it/don't.

However, no one really mentions the safety issue--so I was wondering if people could comment on that.

thanks!
Carrie
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 06:51 PM

I have slept in a 4 person couchette compartment and a double sleeper compartment and both had locking doors. The sleeper car even has an attendant, so it makes you feel extra safe. In the sleeper car that I last had, you were even given towels for the shower at the end of the car. And there is a small wash basin in your tiny compartment. We were served a small continental breakfast the next morning.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
safety really isn't an issue on overnight trains - as safe or safer than in a hotel. However - an itinerary w/ several sleeper legs isn't that great IMHO. One, or at most 2, overnight trips in 2 or 3 weeks is one thing. If you can't sleep its no big deal. But when you are talking "several" overnights - that is a whole different thing.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 07:10 PM

From what I've read, any potential safety issues might relate more to travel in the Eastern region.... otherwise, always good to secure your valuables regardless.
Example:
http://travelpete.com/planner/transportineurope.shtml
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 08:55 PM

There is a good intro to night trains at http://tinyurl.com/y57vft.

I have enjoyed many overnights on European trains and lived to tell about it. Night trains are safe. Hercule Poirot is dead but "Murder on the Orient Express" was fiction anyway.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 08:23 AM
ira

Hi G,

What's the itinerary?

Old Nov 11th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

I don't think I could handle several overnight train rides. Luckily, we are only looking at one overnight train over the 2 week period we are staying, going from Salzburg to Amsterdam. There is a connection from Salzburg to Munich (which arrives in Munich around 10pm) and then from Munich to Amsterdam, arriving in Amsterdam around 8:30a.m.

I've read in books that the trains are relatively safe, just wanted to check with Fodor travelers who have used them. Thanks!

Carrie
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Answer to your questions partly depends are you talking about:

just doing it in regular seats, renting a bunk-bed in a couchette type cabin, or renting a private 2-person cabin?

These three possibilities are all options on an overnight ride, depending on the route and style of train.

Old Nov 11th, 2007, 11:50 AM

Here's my 2 cents from a previous post:
In the case that you are planning the overnight train, I highly advise not using a sleeper compartment unless your party purchases the ENTIRE compartment. Our family took the Florence-Paris overnight using a 4 person compartment, used in conjunction with our railpass (the kids and I loved it - my husband not). There was a guy hanging out in our compartment when we boarded, and I can only guess that he was not overly welcome in his own, because it took quite some time for a very bad odor to leave our little space. I would never, ever, share a compartment with anyone except my own party!

Old Nov 12th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Jed

My wife and I took the overnight train from Krakow to Prague, in a private sleeper compartment. As safe as it was, it was an awful experience for us. I did not sleep all night.

This was <i>our</i> experience, and we would hope not to repeat it.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 11:30 AM

We've taken several overnight trips and not had a safety issue, such as stolen luggage, etc. We have had some friends that did have some bags stolen, but most have not experienced any problems. Exercise your usual precautions.

I would note that IMO there is a big difference between the 2-person private compartment and alternatives such as the 4 (or 6) person couchettes, the latter being much less comfortable and not as nice. We've always gotten the 2-person compartment and slept great. As noted above, the doors lock and there's an attendant. I did the 4 person couchette while in college, and it wasn't particularly pleasant and wouldn't recommend it.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 01:57 PM

We took an all night sleep car to Istanbul and it was brand new and wonderful!!

We slept like babies, it was immaculate and we could lock our doors but did not seem to need to.

Fantastic experience...our own orient express. THE best train to take in Turkey.

Don't know about the rest, but the guy in seat 69 ( or whatever his site is ) has the definative answers about train travel.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your responses, we did want to take a 2 person compartment (since it is us 2 females traveling, we wanted a private compartment for our own peace of mind and figured it would be a little larger in terms of sleep space. Luckily, my aunt and I can sleep anywhere so fingers crossed we have a good experience!

Thanks again!
Carrie
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 05:03 PM

I've taken an overnight train and although it wasn't a great experience I would do it again. We enjoyed training through the beautiful countryside (it was a snowy February and the little towns looked magical in the streetlamps as we trained through the Alps) and the beds were fairly comfortable. However, I do have some helpful advice:

1. Make sure you don't arrive too early. We arrived in Florence at 6:00 am after a restless night with very little sleep. Nothing was open, we couldn't check into our hotel (obviously) and we were beyond exhausted. We hopped onto another train bound for Pisa just so we could sleep for the ride. If I did it all over again I would have gladly paid for the hotel for the night before so we would have had somewhere to crash when we arrived.

2. I would get a private car. I think its worth the added comfort and peace of mind to have the exra privacy.

3. Make sure the train is long enough to actually sleep. If the train is only, say, 7 hours long then its doubtful that you would get enough sleep.

Best wishes,
Tracy
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 05:07 PM

Safety is partly a function of what type of accommodations you buy. If it's your own compartment for just the 2 of you then your stuff is safe.

If you're sharing with one or more strangers (who may or may lock the door when they go in and out) you need to be very careful to secure your belongings.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 05:08 PM

Forgot to mention that I am a pretty sound sleeper and can sleep just about anywhere, including on flights when many can't. That's what made this even more annoying; between the stopping and going and noises I just could not fall asleep for any decent length of time without getting woken up. Some can sleep on the trains, some can't, but I wouldn't readily assume that you will be able to sleep on the train. It's an interesting experience and can be fun, so go for it but just be prepared ...with maybe a little Tylenol PM!

Tracy
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 06:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm with Ira in wanting to know your itinerary. Where are you going that you are contemplating &quot;a few&quot; overnight trains? And how old is your aunt?

When I was young and poor, the O/N train was a great option. Now of an age that requires &quot;beauty sleep&quot; and having deeper pockets, I'd never choose a sleeper of any configuration, journey length or number of amenities over a real bed in a hotel.

Before you decide, find out how many stops your O/N train will make. The additional noise and motion changes woke me every time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -