Ridge trail on Mt Stoos, Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2023, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a glorious day on the Stoos today. The views were spectacular but there were a great deal of hikers, especially at the beginning.

Tips:
1) where good tennis shoes or hiking boots.
2) check the weather and dress appropriately
3) there’s no water along the path so bring enough
4) there are no toilets available along the path so don’t over hydrate
5) if you are in less that decent condition, add 30 minutes to the time needed
4) if you are going to buzz around my head for ten minutes with your drone, expect people to get annoyed with you.
5) just because you paid a lot of money for your trip, it does not give you the right to annoy others with your drone
6) if you are an influencer, expect people to laugh at you behind your back while you are posing and hogging up precious space and time for your perfect reels.
7) bring hiking poles if posdible
8) Enjoy the views, they are truly stunning.

Danke
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big hug to Kleeblatt and this glorious day! Let me do some remarks about the tips:

1) Hiking shoes are better than tennis shoes. There exists as well lower hiking shoes, lighter and with a better grip than tennis shoes, adequate if you are not prone to twist your ankles. My preferred for that kind of hike are mid-height hiking shoes, a compromise between support and lightness.
4) You can not over hydrate: drink enough or more, learn to keep it longer or urinate in the nature.
5) If you are in less than a decent condition, train or stay by the upper station of the chairlift.
8) Stop while enjoying the views, look where you put your feet while moving.

Have fun, stay safe!
Old Oct 5th, 2023, 06:02 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I did that urinating in the nature here in Switzerland just last week...

Finster - forgot to send you a note that we found the hike to Lago di Lei from Ferrera Abz Val Digi Uors, but after hiking in for about 15 minutes, I said "no" and we turned back. Oh, well, had a good wander towards Campsut alongside a river (Rag da Ferrera?), and then down to Innerferrera via the waldweg and suspension bridge.
Old Oct 5th, 2023, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good move Mel, I mean, the hike. The trail climbing from the bus stop in the "Val digl Uors" ("Bears' valley") to the "Lago di Lei" lake is, on the map, a steep one with, in the end, 400m difference in height.

The Ragn da Ferrera river ("Rhein of Ferrera") is named above, in the Avers valley, "Averser Rhein". As the Avers valley enter the Ferrera valley where you hiked, the naming of the river is tricky.

There are a couple of nice pedestrian bridges in the valley, as the one you crossed. Not far there, close to Ausserferrera, there is also the "Magic wood" where you can meet many people carrying mattresses. They are boulder climbers.
Old Oct 5th, 2023, 09:56 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Finster - oh yes, the mattresses - we saw a few of those somewhere recently. You helped me identify those last year when we encountered so many of them in Ticino.

We hiked to the source of the Rhine from Oberalp Pass a week ago, which was also in the 400 meter range, so thought we could handle the climb to Lago di Lei, but I was worried about getting down if we had to come back the same way. All those wet roots and rocks on a steep descent give me the heebie-jeebies. And the hike to the Rhine just about did us in, not having the hiking prowess of the Swiss

Thanks for the info on the river - I like to be accurate when I write trip reports, so it's very helpful.