Reload this Page >

ride or drive or drive or ride????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 09:33 AM
montanan

for a long stay (3 months), should we rent a car, or get a train pass? Money is a slight issue.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 10:10 AM
curt

Well you don't say where you are going to be. Consider for car the parking issues,how often you need to use it, fuel costs (figure at least 4-5 dollars a gallon). Hard to answer without some details on what you plan to do. I would guess that for 3 months train pass would be cheaper. However, if you want a car DO NOT RENT one - check into the lease programs offered by makers in Europe where you essentially lease the car and all insurance, tags, etc are provided and at the end you return it. It will ALWAYS be cheaper than long term rental. <BR> <BR>Post more info on where, when, what you plan to see/do and we can be of more help.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 05:42 AM
montanan

we are starting our trip in Oslo, Norway and then we'll be going north above the artic circle. I had counted on taking the train for that stretch, and after the holidays, taking it back to oslo. I was wondering if we should rent a car from oslo to then go south (france, italy, spain...) We will have our skis and climbing gear (lots of crap, and heavy too) and I know hauling that stuff on and off a train is a big pain. Now what should we do?

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 07:18 AM
montanan

up up up

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 09:08 AM
lili

if you can afford it, car it

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 09:40 AM
montanan

What kind of money difference would we be dealing with? Let's say a 6 week train pass vs. a 6 week car rental.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 10:36 AM
John

First be sure there are trains going where you want. Then double the per-person train cost since everyone pays. Then figure how much you're willing to spend on taxis to get you and your gear from train stations to hotels. Then compute possible savings by staying in smaller towns or villages away from higher-priced city hotels and garages. Then figure the savings created by buying a cheap cooler and keeping some fruit and lunches and drinks in the car rather than paying for them in the train buffet or at a restaurant. Those are some of the tangible benefits; the intangible ones are the freedom to go <I>when</I> as well as <I>where</I> you want, to listen to the radio or stop for omigod-scenery moments, camp or drive all night when you want, etc, etc. <BR> <BR>We've added all these things up time and again and keep coming to the same answer.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 01:20 AM
Lori

We almost always do a blend. Train for parts and car for the other. It usually just makes sense depending on train service and/or the hassle of having a car in some cities. Additionally it's just nice to do a couple of different things, ie get the freedom and then give up the responsibiliy of driving (ie sit there and enjoy the scenery and/or sleep/drink/whatever. <BR>This may some confusing, but for us it usually works out great. (blend itineraries a bit to fit so you're only renting a car once)

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Jerry

Thalys has just come out with a TGV+car <BR>option that is very attractive price and hastle wise. <BR>