Notices

Rhonda vs. driving the Mediterranian

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 05:58 AM
chris

Rhonda vs. driving the Mediterranian

I'm going to be staying in Torremolinos en route to Cadiz. My two options are a direct drive along the Mediterranian or a detour into Rhonda. Does anyone have any advice on this? Is the road along the ocean scenic? If Rhonda is the choice, how long should I allow to peek at the community being mindful that I will be continuing on the same day. Maps I reviewed indicate the drive time from Torremolinos to Cadiz is appx. 4 hours. Is that accurate or does that stretch of highway allow for a little gravity regarding speeds? Thanks.

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 07:36 AM
Maribel

Hi Chris,
The drive up the sierra to Ronda from Torremolinos, taking the A473 from San Pedro Alcantara, is a distance of 98 km and should take 1 1/2 hrs. Then 3 hrs. or so in Ronda for a stroll in the Arab Quarter, a visit to the oldest bullring in Spain, (Ronda is the cradle of modern bullfighting-check out the museum in the Plaza de Toros) snapping photos of the amazing gorge from a variety of angles, then lunch. How speedy a sightseer are you? The fastest route from Ronda down to Cadiz is through Arcos and Jerez-138 km. which should take you another 2 1/2 hrs., but you will want go up to the top of Arcos for a peek and maybe enjoy a stop in Jerez (if it's a weekday and not late July or August)for a tour of one of the sherry bodegas (I believe that Gonzalez Byass may still have a tour/tours in late afternoon-the tourist office will have a list). As you can see this is a complete, 8 hr + day. I personally think it's worth the time, as the drive along the coast through Algeciras is just not as scenic as the drive up the mountains to Ronda and on the route of the white towns (Arcos) to Jerez. But I'm very partial to Ronda and the "pueblos blancos" area and not so enamored of the Costa del Sol (except for the drive between Marbella and Sotogrande).
Hope this gives you some help in deciding.
Regards,
Maribel

p.s. You can check mileage and distance on www.cwlease.com

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 07:58 AM
chris

Thanks much Maribel...
I do have some follow-up questions, however. I am a relatively fast sight seer and am more interested in vistas and architecture than museums (generally). It appeared to me that the route to Rhonda via San Pedro would also be the best return route to Cadiz. It's not the most direct, however, the highway grades on the maps I've seen look better along the ocean than the ones winding through the mountains. I'll be there in mid-late March and am anticipating darkness circa 6 p.m. or so. I'd prefer not to trail unfamiliar mountain roads at night, si? Also, from what I've seen the paradore in Rhonda is THE place to lunch. Do you agree? I should probably send you a travel agent fee for your great feedback. Thanks again...

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 08:13 AM
anne

Just a ditto that the trip through Ronda would be my choice as well. Unlike other stretches of the Med, the drive along the Spanish coast at this point is not that scenic.

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 08:55 AM
Maribel

Hi Chris,
No fee, please, just have a copa de fino for me at the Parador in Ronda!
As for negotiating mountain roads after 6, the highway from Ronda to Arcos is not a hazardous drive-very doable (I wouldn't advise any detours to Benojoan, the Pileta caves or down to Ubrique at that hr., but you wouldn't have time for those anyway). And it's a quick and easy straight shoot from Arcos to Jerez.
(I should have mentioned that you can go back up to Jerez from Cadiz another morning for the "bodega" tour.)
If you enjoy vistas and architecture, I wouldn't miss the justifiably famous "ruta de los pueblos blancos" through Arcos-definitely prettier vistas than those you'll see around La Linea and Algeciras.
Hasta luego,
Maribel

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 10:56 AM
chris

Maribel,
Once again, thanks for saving the day. Tu eres una reyna! I believe I'll just stick to the plan of Rhonda to Arcos-that'll probably give me an adequate flavor for the pueblos blancos. I'm excited about the new plan! I appreciate your expertise...

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 11:56 AM
spellcheck

For goodness sake, for the last time -- pay attention Chris -- it's RONDA, not Rhonda.

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 12:48 PM
chris

Woops...sorry about that Maribel...

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 02:45 PM
Maribel

Hi, Chris and Spellcheck,
Disculpa!
Please don't search your maps for that place I called "Benojoan"; it's Benaojan!
Buen viaje!