London and Paris Hotels

Old Feb 9th, 2000, 06:43 PM
JoAnne

London and Paris Hotels

My husband and I are going to London and Paris mid May to early June. We're looking for a hotel or B&B that's clean (nothing too fancy) with a double room with bathroom (good amenities). Our price range is $100 per night or less. Does anyone have some recommendations for ones that are close to typical tourist attractions (our first time to Europe)? Also, how far advance should we book the rooms? Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 08:44 AM
sam

I recently went to Paris and stayed at Hotel Minerve, which is a small Hotel in the Latin Quarter. Although it is not in the middle of tourist streets, it is very handy to the Jussieu Metro station which can take you anywhere. The rooms are small compared to US, like all Paris hotels, but it had a nice bathroom (shower curtain not included) and a comfortable bed with enough room to walk around. Included a TV, dresser and closets along with a small patio with a great view. Also, there are plenty of bank machines around, some restaurants and a great bakery (coffee shop)across the street. It is right next to Hotel Familia that you read about in the "books" as a good deal. There may be areas in the LQ that have a lot more people around at night, but I truely enjoyed the stay and the price was around $83. It was a short Metro ride from the St. Michel area (Notre Dame on the map) Post back with question and do a search on "go.com " or your search engine of choice on "Hotel Minerve" They speak english and I booked by fax. The staff was also very helpful.

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 09:16 AM
Lori

JoAnne,
Just do a search on Paris hotels and literally hundreds will be there for you to look at. Many people on this Forum rave about various hotels in the 7th Arr. in Paris - that is very convenient to everything. We've used Best Western International many times (they are not like BW's in the U.S. - they are small hotels, many quite charming, with 25-40 rooms). You can find them all on the BW web site. Last year in Paris we stayed at the Residence Hotel Trocadero, right in front of the Eiffel Tower on the Trocadero (Metro stop outside the door also),it was $93 night, the room was small (most are) but the bathroom was very decent sized and there was an enclosed tub/shower. Buffet breakfast was 35FF per person (coffee/tea/juice, cereals, various breads & croissants, cheeses, fruit & meats). Staff spoke English as they do in 99% of the hotels in Paris. Many BW's have non-smoking rooms if that is an issue. You should be booking now for May/June - some places may already be booked. As for London, we always stay in an apartment but many folks on this Forum recommend the Travel Inns in London, there is one by Waterloo Station & a new one by Tower Bridge (and a couple further out). They are about 69 pounds/night and are like Super8's or Motel 6's in decor (they are new). If you do a search on London hotels you will find millions - choose a couple and ask if anyone has stayed there - you would be surprised what people on this Forum know. I believe there are a number of less expensive hotels near Paddington Station/Sussex Gardens.

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 09:33 AM
Sondra

We are doing the same basic trip in May. It is our first time also in France. The best information we have recieved is from the Fodor books and this web site. In London we are staying at the Abbey House bed and breakfast in the Kensignton area. It was an area that we were interested and we don't want to spend too much money on the room. Also, it will give us a taste of England, rather than a hotel we could stay in America. The only draw back is you share a full bath with one other room. We will just wing it. It runs 74 pounds a night. In Paris we are staying at the Caron de Beuamarchais. It runs 810ff a night and sounds wonderful. It is in the 4th distict. I had a hard time deciding in Paris which area to stay in. They all sounded wonderful. Good luck and enjoy you trip.

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 11:37 AM
Bob Brown

As Lori said, the Best Westerns are nice because you can consult the whole list by visiting the Best Western Website and see what the hotel has to offer.
Some of the hotels are quite nice, such as the Aramis St. Germain, but it runs about $130 per night.
For just about $100, I suggest you check out the Hotel Muguet. Many nice things have been said about it on this forum.

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 04:11 PM
bob

Sondra,

Be thankful your bathroom is not in the room. You should get a room where you share facilities with a hallway or whole hotel. Why? Do you ask. The London hotels are old buildings and there is no ventilation so as someone told me, Your room will smell like "Johhny on the job." The hotels put the community baths where the windows are at the end of the hallway and they ventilate well. I thought it would be hard to get use to but I will travel no other way from here on out when in London. Especially if you are traveling with someone you care about.