Rhine Valley

Sep 27th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Rhine Valley

We will visit the Rhine Valley in December and will probably only have 1 day. we would like to visit Marksburg Castle and Rheinfels during the day; is this doable? We will possibly go to Rudesheim's Christmas Market during the evening. What location would be good to overnite... Bacharach, Rudesheim or St. Goar or other choices. We will have to leave for the Franfurt International airport from that location. HOw does that work since Bacharach and St Goar are on the West side of the river, are there bridges to cross or do we need to use the ferry system.
Sep 27th, 2012, 07:36 AM

Your previously posted revised itinerary:

"Day 17 to Bacharach or St. Goar, maybe stop in Wurzburg enroute
Day 18 Bachcharach or St. Goar, visit Marksburg and Rheinfels (we will need to overnite at the airport as we have an early flight and our daughter's flight is later and we will need a plac to drop a car)"

So now... Will you still arrive on the Rhine on Day 17 and have a full day for the Rhine on the 18th? Or are you arriving there on the 18th now (if so, at what hour?), spending one night, and heading straight to the airport from there on the 19th? When/where are you dumping the car?

It's feasible to see Rheinfels and Marksburg in one day in the first case. Not sure in the second case. If you'd like some specific suggestions, REPOST with your DATES and approximate hour of arrival (and where you're driving from.)
Sep 27th, 2012, 09:01 AM

marking for later comment
Sep 27th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Russ, we will arrive on the Rhine on Day 17 after possibly visiting Wurzburg. I have not made car reservations yet but I am thinking my only option of dropping a car late will be the Frankfurt airport.So that is why Day 18 is our only day to see Marksburg and Rheinfels. The evening of Day 17 we could possibly visit Rudesheim's market. So, this makes me wonder where it is best to stay, maybe Rudesheims. How does it work getting on the other side of the river if we are in Bacharach and are headed to the airport in the evening?
Sep 27th, 2012, 10:56 AM

Since on Day 17 you want to see R'heim's market it would make good sense just to stay there. R'heim's market is a very atmospheric one, by the way. Since you posted no dates I can't advise you whether you should try to tour Rheinfels on Day 18 - it's open limited hours in the winter:

http://www.st-goar.de/733-1-test.html

To reach St. Goar by car you can use the ferry between St. Goar and St. Goarshausen or the Rüdesheim-Bingen ferry. Both should be operational most of the day, though.

After visiting the R'heim market on Day 17, you could choose to stay in Bacharach (ferry over to Bingen first) or St. Goar instead, of course. But you'll have to ferry across in either case, and then ferry back the next day to drive to Marksburg (or drive north via Koblenz and cross the bridge.) If Rheinfels is closed on that day, then I'd for sure just stay in Rüdesheim, Assmannshausen, Kaub, or elsewhere on that same side of the river; that way there's no need to ferry over the river at all.
Sep 27th, 2012, 10:58 AM

" How does it work getting on the other side of the river if we are in Bacharach and are headed to the airport in the evening?"

You can drive south via Bingen and use a bridge in the Mainz area.
Sep 27th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Very helpful. Day 18 is actually a Sat. Dec. 8. I thinkg Rheinfels is open on the weekends only and if weahter permits.So, it sounds like it is certainly doable if Reinfels is open on Dec. 8 to do both? Do you think I dare wait on a reservation and just wing it???
Sep 27th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Russ, I just looked at the site that you provided about the castle and it does not indicate that it is open in December so I have written. Another person mentioned staying in Mainz, we could do as easily if you think that is a better option.
Sep 27th, 2012, 01:21 PM

" I just looked at the site that you provided about the castle and it does not indicate that it is open in December."

Actually the page on Rheinfels DOES indicate that it's open weekends from November through March (weather permitting) - although the starting date for this period certainly isn't the 78th of November you should be OK on the 18th.

Mainz is nice enough. I normally stay there prior to an FRA flight. It too has a very nice market. Maybe you could first go to R'heim, then back to Mainz. But you don't have any particular reason for staying in Mainz that I've read; I'd rather stay in Rüdesheim on the 17th and then maybe make a stop for the Mainz market if you have time on the 18th on the way to your FRA hotel. R'heim is very atmospheric during the Christmas market.
Sep 27th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I think R'heim is the best choice. Now do you have any hotel recommendatins there?
Sep 27th, 2012, 03:02 PM

NO, I've only stayed there once and it was long ago. I have lots of faith in "Bavaria Ben's" picks based on experiences with other places he's suggested:

http://www.bensbauernhof.com/zumgrue...uedesheim.html
http://www.bensbauernhof.com/chucksl...tml#Ruedesheim

Other reviews on Ben's pages for r'heim are here:
http://www.bensbauernhof.com/chucksl...tml#Ruedesheim
Sep 27th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, I will write them now.
Sep 28th, 2012, 06:01 AM

Sorry - I gave you one link twice - this should have been the final link:

http://www.bensbauernhof.com/accommo...hinemosel.html
Sep 28th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Russ, just heard from Rheinfels and they are open on weekends as we thought depending on weather.