Reload this Page >

rhine river travel using Eurail pass

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 04:54 PM
tom

my friend and I plan to visit Amsterdam, Munich and Garmish, and Prague for two weeks total starting 8/24/99. We have purchased Holland, German, and Prague excursion railpasses. This is our 1st time to Europe, need to know where and how to catch the river steamers that are included in the price of railpasses. We are primarily thinking about taking the Rhine along the way toward Munich. Any suggestions would realy be appreciated. Thanks.

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 10:32 PM
greg

You mentioned Eurail pass, so you should have received "Map & Traveler's Guide" with your pass which describes which boats are included. For Rhine, it is only the plain (not hydrofoil or overnighters) KD German Rhine Line (there are other operators) between Cologne and Mainz in case of the Rhine. The little detail left out is that you DO NOT use the Eurail pass directly on the KD boat itself, you show your pass at the KD Ticket booth at the dock well before the boat arrives to get free boarding passes.

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 11:13 AM
tom

Dear Greg, Thanks much for your response! I typo'd the date of our departure, I meant 9/23/99 to 10/7/99. By the way, how much trouble do you think we'll have finding a hostil to stay in in Munich and surroundings? How about Amsterdam? We are winging it for the most part and have no reservations. Again, thank you.

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 04:15 PM
Amanda

I've just a question about the eurail pass - to use it on the rhine, it uses up a day's travel - if that day was your day of travel, would that mean it takes a extra day off your travel days? <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR>Amanda.

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 04:17 PM
Anna

Tom, <BR>Munich's Octoberfest runs from Sept. 19th to October 4th, so you may have difficulty finding a hostel in Munich. The hostels in Bavaria are also for those under 26 only. You may want to check out the bulletin board at eurotrip.com for more advice. Other than that, you are not traveling during peak season so you should't have too much trouble going without reservations.