ATM Machine in Budapest's Train Station

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 04:23 AM
Valerie

ATM Machine in Budapest's Train Station

I will be taking an overnight train from Prague to Budapest in a couple of weeks and was wondering how to get Hungarian currency early in the morning when the train gets in the Budapest station because we have to get a subway or taxi to our hotel. Thanks

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 05:41 AM
Anna

We arrived at Budapest Keleti station and there was a free standing ATM machine down the large staircase in front of the tracks, the machine will be immediately on your right at the bottom of the stairs.

Be aware of the taxi drivers parked outside major hotels and at the train stations, their meters will be fast, but the prices are still low compared to the US. We took a cab from the station (couldn't find any of the reputable ones at the stand). The ride cost us about $10 (2500 Ft) which actually was inexpensive compared to US standards, but about 2-3X as much as we should have paid. We found the reputable taxi companies to be FO, City Taxi, and for the most part 6X6 (one of their drivers did over charge us - fast meter). We bought a phone card and called the taxis ourselves, most of the dispatchers spoke English and the taxis would arrive within 5 minutes. The dispatcher will ask you the phone # your are at and they will send a cab to that location (or where you ask it to be sent. Have fun Budapest is a great city!!

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 04:51 PM
Linda

I also took the train from Vienna to Budapest a couple of weeks ago. The first thing that happened when we got off the train was being approached by 2 taxi drivers asking if we wanted a ride. Do not use them. Call a taxi from a reputable firm. There was a lot of people loitering at the train station when we arrived (early evening) which made me a little nervous using the ATM machine. I looked over my shoulder and this guy was staring at me so I made sure to put my cash in my money belt. We took the metro instead of a cab. The metro station is across the train station with signs posted so it's easy to find. We bought a 3 day pass for convenience. Hope you have a great trip. We sure did. E-mail me if you have any further questions.