Rhine and Mosel Valley - short time!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, some of our plans for vacations have to be changed. We have to reduce the number of days in Cochem and Bacharach, and now I am not sure how to spend better the short time that we shall have.

Now we shall have in Bacharach only one and a half day. I think to spend first half day in Bacharach, and the next day to take a cruise on Rhine till St. Goar.

In Cochem we shall arrive at noon, then we have two next days. In the third day (last day) we must be at Frankfurt airport at 7:00 p.m, for our flight home.
I am thinking to spend first 1/2 (when we arrive) in Cochem.
The last day we have to go to Frankfurt airport. We have not car, we shall go by train, and we have to change the train in Koblenz. I think that we shall leave Cochem in the morning, we shall take the train to Koblenz, leave the luggage at train station and visit Koblenz. In afternoon, take the train to airport.

In this way, we still have two full days in Cochem. I would like to visit Trier, Luxemburg and Burg Eltz castle. How is better to schedule these three places in two days? Is a good idea to travel in the morning from Cochem to Luxemburg and in afternoon from Luxemburg to Trier till the evening, when we return to Cochem?

Please help!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Yes and for Burg Eltz - you take the train from Cochem the few miles to Moselkern and then either walk on gently sloping paths thru a forest the two miles or so up to Burg Eltz castle or take a taxi. Can do in a 1/2 day. Trains hourly. Limited boat service from Koblenz or cochem to Moselkern.
Luxembourg - leave early - the thing there is just to see the town - physically gorgeous as there is a deep gorge running thru the town center - but little to really see. Trier has several great sights - Porta Negra - finest Roman relic perhaps north of Alps, Roman arena and ancient basilica from Constantine's days and Karl Marx House, for something more contemporary. But all is in a compact area.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:16 PM

I think you'd be wise to do one of the guided bus tours to both Trier and Luxembourg in a single day if your time is short and your schedule fits this company's schedule: Tuesdays and Fridays. They depart Cochem at 8 am and get back at 7:30 pm, cost 26 Euros per person. Site is in German:

http://reisebuero-knieper.de/Reisen/...t/beliebt.html

Then on the other days enjoy Cochem and Burg Eltz.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:22 PM

If you active you could rent a bike in cochem and cycle the ten or so miles to Moselkern along one of Europe's most scenic bike routes, on paths along the Mosel, with cliffs on each side hundreds of feet high, laced with vineyards when they face south. Could put bikes on train to go back to Cochem.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 03:02 PM

What does ttt mean?
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 03:20 PM

Suze1- ttt means "to the top". Just gets the post viewed a bit more. Took me forever to figure out!!!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Thaank you very much to all of you. I feel now better, it seems that I could visit these places, even I have no a long time.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 08:27 PM

You can even do a full day in Trier and a full day in Luxembourg if you look at Burg Eltz on the day when you come from Koblenz to Cochem. Just get off the train in Moselkern, walk to the Burg and back, then go the few more miles to Cochem with a later train. If I understand your timing, that leaves one day for Trier and one day for Luxembourg,

You will be backtracking, of course - on your way to Luxembourg the trains stop in Trier where you have to change trains.

WK
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Wally: good suggestion but does Moselkern's station have luggage lockers or baggage storage - most German stations do but this is a tiny one - probably does but not sure.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 10:37 AM

I don't know, but it's worth a phone call.

WK
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much. Meantime my flight has been delayed, so I have two more days in Cochem (now enough time to visit what we want - we shall have 5 days). In the last day, our flight is from Cochem at 2:00 in aafternoon, so we shall travel from Cochem directly to airport.
Now, while in Cochem, we shall have time for Cochem, Trier, Luxembourg, Burg Eltz and Koblenz (a day for each of them).
Do you think that we have to divide in other mode our time?