Revisiting Hotel Location in Amsterdam

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2019, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Over the years been to Amsterdam twice but that's not helping much.

I remember little of the first trip. The second time we stayed near Anne Frank house and while nice it was rather quiet and not near very much. From what I remember.

Now I'm thinking the area slightly inside (north east) of the flower market is a good idea. Well, maybe not.

I'm starting to think that maybe the place to stay would be two or three canals outside the flower market. A little in the direction of the museums.

HELP!!! I'm getting in the way of myself!!

Does it really matter?

Opinions?

Thanks.
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 05:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We are going to Amsterdam in April for the Rembrandt show at the Rijks as well as for Keukenhof. We have stayed everywhere from near Centraal Station to near the Rijksmuseum and for this coming trip have opted to stay within walking distance of the latter. I can remember when people around here said, "You HAVE to stay in the Jordaan" and similar "you have tos" and we make our hotel decisions based on availability of public transport as well as the specific things we are doing.

I am certain others will soon be here to suggest you take a look at this or that hotel.
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It really doesn't matter that much. Choose a hotel you can afford and that has the facilities you like. Amsterdam is walkable, and has great public transport.
Quiet is good for getting to sleep.
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 07:37 AM

The Vondel Park -Museumplein area is more quiet than the touristy central Amsterdam - yes A'dam is very walkable with most sights clustered in a few-square mile area. I never took a tram and walked everywhere.
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Myer
Over the years been to Amsterdam twice but that's not helping much.

I remember little of the first trip. The second time we stayed near Anne Frank house and while nice it was rather quiet and not near very much. From what I remember.

Now I'm thinking the area slightly inside (north east) of the flower market is a good idea. Well, maybe not.

I'm starting to think that maybe the place to stay would be two or three canals outside the flower market. A little in the direction of the museums.

HELP!!! I'm getting in the way of myself!!

Does it really matter?

Opinions?

Thanks.

Try the Wittenburg area.
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Has anybody stayed at or know anything about the American Hotel on Leidsekade on the Singelgracht?

It appears to be a nice spot though very close to a lot of activity. Close to Vondelpark and museums as well as the busy Leidseplein area and canal rings. Also only a 10 minute trolley ride to the train station.

The hotel also looks very nice.

I also looked at the Marriott and NH hotels just on the opposite side of that canal but they just didn't look as nice. Both the hotels and the settings.
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 08:28 AM

American Hotel is one of Amsterdam's legendary hotels - great location and a unique old hotel.
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

But is it a nice hotel?
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 11:38 AM

Never stayed there but it is a deluxe hotel - a landmark that's been there a zillion years. I'd check tripadvisor as I think no one here has stayed in it.
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 12:02 PM

Way out of my price bracket. It is where many stars stay when visiting Amsterdam.
You need to be aware it will be a Hard Rock Hotel from next year - some of the rooms have already been restyled bu there may be work going on ready for the change next year. The Café has already been renovated, but thankfully remains a Jugendstil (Art Noveau) gem.
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 12:06 PM

The old cigar store Indians that used to stand sentinel out front were removed to interior long ago but wonder if they'll survive.
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

I called the hotel and was told the hotel common areas aren't being renovated but the rooms are.

The renovation should be completed within 3 months. So I figure that should be by the end of May. I'll call again in early May to check on the progress.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 06:31 PM

I've stayed in the Jordaan neighborhood twice and love it. Met lots of great locals in this hood, which was a nice break from the tourist crowds in the more "central" areas... but a 2-3 min walk and you are right back in the mix.

Just stayed at this Airbnb in Oct and it was perfect.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/27774674?guests=1&adults=1

This boutique hotel is also cool. Stayed Sept 2017.

Hotel MrJordaan | Jordaan Amsterdam
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 07:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Myer, with the very greatest of respect if you are making a final decision about a hotel based on how it "looks" on the exterior you may be in for a surprise or two but to each their own. I hope you have a wonderful stay.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Dukey1,

I'm not sure where I wrote that I'm making a hotel decision based on the exterior look of the hotel.

Exterior-wise, what I'd really like is a relatively quiet street, a nice exterior setting but quite close to a fair amount of activity. Over the years we have stayed in some hotels that were off the beaten track and we prefer to be closer to activity. We prefer to walk back to our hotel and not have a deserted feel.

The interior of the hotel doesn't need to be grand. It has to have a clean look and feel to it. We've stayed in hotels that have that grand lobby as well as some that merely have a reception counter and elevator near the entrance.

As far as the room, luxury isn't a requirement though as we get older we have upgraded our travel. A nice clean bathroom with a vanity and shelves to keep our toiletries. Ideally the room would have a place to hang cloths and dresser drawers to unpack our suitcases. For some reason even the most luxurious hotels don't seem to believe in dressers / drawers. I'm not sure what most people do with their cloths. Maybe that could be the topic of another thread.

While we don't actually assign points, the points add up.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 08:28 AM

But is it a nice hotel?

Not anymore. Hard Rock Cafe has bought it, to the dismay of Amsterdammers everywhere.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 08:30 AM

Dukey1,

I'm not sure where I wrote that I'm making a hotel decision based on the exterior look of the hotel.

Exterior-wise, what I'd really like is a relatively quiet street, a nice exterior setting but quite close to a fair amount of activity. Over the years we have stayed in some hotels that were off the beaten track and we prefer to be closer to activity. We prefer to walk back to our hotel and not have a deserted feel.

The interior of the hotel doesn't need to be grand. It has to have a clean look and feel to it. We've stayed in hotels that have that grand lobby as well as some that merely have a reception counter and elevator near the entrance.

As far as the room, luxury isn't a requirement though as we get older we have upgraded our travel. A nice clean bathroom with a vanity and shelves to keep our toiletries. Ideally the room would have a place to hang cloths and dresser drawers to unpack our suitcases. For some reason even the most luxurious hotels don't seem to believe in dressers / drawers. I'm not sure what most people do with their cloths. Maybe that could be the topic of another thread.

While we don't actually assign points, the points add up.
In that case, the American Hotel is not the most optimal choice.

Maybe I can interest you in this hotel?

http://pillows-anna-van-den-vondel-h...el-dir.com/en/

It's right adjacent Vondelpark, on a quiet sidestreet, yet close to "the museums" and to the Overtoom area, which has a great number of good places to eat. And, you'll be right outside "tourist central", because you'll be just west of Singelgracht.

Last edited by menachem; Feb 18th, 2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 08:49 AM

Pillows is our favorite hotel in Amsterdam. It's lovely; quiet, new, beautifully decorated, friendly staff.
Just don't tell everyone about it please ;-)
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tulips
Pillows is our favorite hotel in Amsterdam. It's lovely; quiet, new, beautifully decorated, friendly staff.
Just don't tell everyone about it please ;-)
Too late.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by hetismij2
Too late.
My apologies.