Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

REVISED POSTING: How to get from Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam to The Grand Sofitel Hotel

Search

REVISED POSTING: How to get from Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam to The Grand Sofitel Hotel

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get to The Grand Sofitel in Amsterdam from the Schiphol airport, I see that we can take the train to Central Station, but then what should we do? Do we need to link to a tram? or a Taxi? There will be two of us, with a medium size rolling bag each. We are more than willing to walk (and would probably prefer it) if the walk is not too long. I looked into the Airport Hotel Shuttle bus, but they do not list The Grand on their list of hotels.

Old May 11th, 2005, 10:59 AM

If this is the The Grand Sofitel Demeure directions from the website are:

<i>From Central Station you can take the following tram numbers: 4, 9, 16, 24 or 25. Get off at the first stop near Dam Square and walk from Dam Square heading east through the Damstraat. Cross the first bridge and turn right to Oudezijds Voorburgwal. Hotel The Grand is just a few metres ahead. You can also board the subway and disembark at the Nieuwmarkt. Take the exit marked Hoogstraat, head west and turn left on the third bridge. Hotel The Grand is at number 197.</i>

Alternatively, walking from Centrale Station to Dam Square is probably 5 or 6 blocks.

There is a taxi queue outside of the station if you prefer that.

Have fun!
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd find which hotel the Connexxion airport shuttle bus DOES stopped at that is closest to your hotel and use that. It is inexpensive and I've got to imagine easier than using the train to a tram or taxi with suitcases (it is the only way I've used to get into town so can't compare).
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:14 PM

Email the Shuttle company and ask them for the nearest stop by your hotel:

http://www.airporthotelshuttle.nl/site/contact.asp
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:21 PM

Also, you could use the taxi fare calculator on www.schiphol.com to see if you'd rather do that... it will probably be 35-45&euro; range...
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:55 PM

For years we took the train from Schiphol to Amsterdam..But now we take the Connexion Shuttle bus only..Like Suze said it is alot easier than carrying your luggage up and down stairs, on to trams, etc..(although I do recommend the train for first time visitors).We were just there and paid 17.50 Euro each for a return ticket..You just have to find out if they stop at your hotel or near it..It is so handy as you catch it ride outside the aiport..I haven't been able to find a schedule on the internet but I am sure there must be one..
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:15 PM

The shuttle must stop at the Krasnapolsky- it's maybe a 2 block walk to the Sofitel from there.
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:30 AM
aggiemom

Just spent two nights (May 3 and 4) at NH Doelen Amsterdam. Took Connexxion shuttle to hotel for 11 euro one way. Careful. Girl at desk tried to short me in my change - gave her 40 euro (for two people) and returned only 5 euro change. I caught the mistake and she finally did give me my correct change. Could have been an honest mistake on her part, though I'm not quite sure. Keep your eyes open. Service was very quick, though.

Old May 12th, 2005, 02:35 AM
aggiemom

PS: I don't mean to be a downer. This was the only &quot;mistake&quot; of this sort in eight days in Netherlands, Germany and Austria.

Old May 12th, 2005, 07:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This mistake was made at your hotel front desk? Or a special Connexxion bus desk? Just curious.

I remember on the way in from the airport we paid the driver direct.
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:20 AM
aggiemom

Hi Suze - the mistake was made at the Connexxion desk at Schiphol Airport. I bought tickets there and presented them to the driver when we were on the bus. Fortunately, ever other transaction in Europe this time was accurate. I just made sure I knew how much I was buying and how much change I should expect.

Old May 12th, 2005, 06:10 PM

As I just came back from Amsterdam last month, we had been told to count all change as it had been reported that some places were giving the wrong change back..It never happened to us, but it is just something to be aware of!!