Returning from a different airport

Mar 17th, 2006, 01:30 PM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 27
Returning from a different airport

I would really like to do this. I will be going a cruise and just found out that I am supposed to leave to return home the day of my prom . Thus, instead of following my round trip flight itinerary as planned, I would like to return from a different city and airport at least a day earlier than scheduled. Has anyone does this before? I am begging my parents to let me do it (so far without luck :/).
Mels15 is offline  
Mar 17th, 2006, 01:44 PM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 637
It's easy to do if that's how you plan it. If you have to change an already booked itinerary to accommodate it, it's more difficult, and you'll probably pay something extra, but it's still easily possible.
grsing is offline  
Mar 17th, 2006, 01:44 PM
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,880
It's called an open-jaw ticket and I do that each time I travel. Check with your airlines, the price is not usually much higher.
laartista is offline  
Mar 17th, 2006, 01:45 PM
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,699
Lots of people change their itinerary and many of us fly "open-jaw" which means flying into one airport and out a different one. That "other airport can be in a different city or country. It's something that's done all the time. Have they purchased the tickets already? Give us specifics of where you live and where you're going and the dates.
sandi_travelnut is offline  
Mar 17th, 2006, 01:47 PM
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 27
It's already booked and I may have to wait until April when my mom comes back from overseas to make any changes... But oh well. I would much rather go to prom with all of my friends than spend a few extra days in Europe (as lovely as that sounds).
Mels15 is offline  
Mar 17th, 2006, 01:49 PM
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 27
I'm not even sure of the specifics right now. I just asked my dad and he wasn't of much help.
Mels15 is offline  
Mar 17th, 2006, 01:50 PM
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 12,188
It's going to get more difficult and expensive to change this, the longer you wait. Unless your mother is in a very remote location, she could change it from wherever she is staying if she has access to a phone.
WillTravel is offline  
Mar 17th, 2006, 02:18 PM
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 65,815
But if the tix are already bought, and are on any sort of a discount, don't count on being able to change them at all - even w/ an extra fee. If they are full fare you might have better luck. And IF they are ff tickets - then it is very likely there aren't any seats available on other flights. A full fare last minute ticket will cost a fortune.

So definitely contact your mother ASAP and find out the situation. Good luck - but don't get your heart set on being able to change.
janisj is online now  
Mar 17th, 2006, 02:47 PM
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 92,785
It would be easy if you had not yet purchased tickets. It is called open jaw and people do it all the time. It usually is the same or only a very small bit more expensive.

If you already have a ticket, especially if it is a bargain fare, it will be much more expensive, and maybe not even possible to make the change.

You could call the airlines yourself and just ask them the question. They can look up the class of ticket and let you know the restrictions and change fees. There's no reason to wait for your Mom to ask the question. Getting the information can't hurt (and would be good practice for your travel skills, I might add).
suze is offline  
Mar 17th, 2006, 06:24 PM
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 27
Oh no! I think we bought our tickets through some online discounted fares site and that we are flying through 2 different airlines. Ohh
Mels15 is offline  
Mar 17th, 2006, 07:17 PM
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,850
You already have the tickets. This means that changing the departure city would mean actually buying another ticket. What you could do (and I have done it) is:

Contact the airline (if you purchased online, then these changes will be with the airline and not expedia/travelocity/etc) and ask about flights for the day before from the city you want to change to. Check availability and be sure that you will indeed have a place with them. Then tell them you have to cancel your flight (you will probably be charged $100 for the cancellation, and you can apply the cost to the new ticket. . . which will probably be considerably more expensive) and to put you onto the new flight.

Frankly, as long as you have the proper appts in place on the day of your prom (hair, nails, make-up, dressing), and are arriving in the morning or early afternoon, you should have time to get ready and be in place for pictures, the limo, and prompt arrival.
laclaire is offline  
Mar 17th, 2006, 07:49 PM
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 27
Wow, thank you that was very informative. I did contemplate getting ready during the flight and such so that I would be ready to go immediately after I stepped off the plane (haha) but we are leaving Europe in the morning I believe, so I don't think I'd be able to make it home in time for prom. It should be a long flight right? In any case, I don't think I could justify spending another thousand dollars to my parents to attend a dance, especially since it was due to something that arose due to my lack of judgement. Well this will be very sad but I guess I can't really complain. Thanks everyone.
Mels15 is offline  
Mar 17th, 2006, 09:17 PM
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 45,322
Hi Mels, is this your senior HS Prom you are talking about?
LoveItaly is offline  
Mar 18th, 2006, 02:41 AM
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 27
Yes, it is. Maybe I am giving too much weight to the event as it is, but I feel a growing kinship with my peers and appreciation for my school. I would like to spend this day with them. Even if the music is bad and the setting dank, unnattractive and crowded.
Mels15 is offline  
Mar 18th, 2006, 04:19 AM
  #15  
ira
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 74,414
Hi Mels,

If you are leaving Europe in the morning, you will arrive on the East Coast of the US about 2 hr later.

For example, AF022 leaves CDG at 08:25 and arrives JFK at 10:15.

You should have plenty of time to make your Prom.

Look at your tickets. You will see what time you arrive home.



In future, please check your calendar before buying tickets. We parents are getting too old for this sort of thing.
ira is offline  
Mar 18th, 2006, 10:43 AM
  #16  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 27
You just made me so excited! But it turns out we're actually leaving the 3rd . Ooooooooh well. There is nothing I can do now. Thanks anyway.
Mels15 is offline  
Mar 18th, 2006, 10:52 AM
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 92,785
Didn't your parents know the dates of your prom when they planned the family vacation?
suze is offline  
Mar 18th, 2006, 11:24 AM
  #18  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 27
Sadly not. I have to keep track of everything and let them know if something is going to affect their schedule. I don't even mind being so independent except during moments like this. Ugghh
Mels15 is offline  
Mar 18th, 2006, 11:29 AM
  #19  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 45,322
Oh Mels, try to look at this as a learning experience. We all go through it. Your parents are teaching you to "think ahead" which is a good lesson to learn. Sure am sorry that you will be missing your prom but think about how fortuante you are to have this wonderful vacation. Take care.
LoveItaly is offline  
Mar 18th, 2006, 11:50 AM
  #20  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,049
Instead of speculating on how much it would cost to change the return date, or even whether it is possible, call the place where the tickets were purchased and ask them how much it will cost to change the return date and location. Once you have that information, you can make an informed decision, but you should be prepared to make the change when you call if the price is right, as the cost will likely increase if you delay.
clevelandbrown is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:13 AM.