Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Returned from Paris, To Maui tommorrow, I continue...

Dec 17th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Hello to all,

I returned from Paris Friday December 14. My flight was late from Paris missing my connection to Atlanta, then a bag was missing and I missed my shuttle from the airport in Atlanta. However, I could not be bothered by the small things...I am in Love!

Very much happened since my last post from Paris. I told the waiter at the cafe I had been to a few times it was my birthday. He and some customers say HB. My drink is free. I get a big smile from the usual Mr. Grump at the front in the Tabac. I go home and read, wasn't in the mood for anything much.

Next day I return to the cafe to drink tea, no dinner, I feel not so good. When I sit down the waiter brings the tea then a gift in very pretty package. A beautiful candle. I was very excited. I think it is from Luis a nice guy my son's age. A friendly gesture. He is very sweet.

Then I hear Mr. Grump say do you like it. Yes very much thank you.
This is very bad timing. I feel chilled and as if I might faint. I do not want to run off into the night after a gift. I feel worse and finally find myself in the bathroom throwing my toenails up.
I am so sick I cannot come out for awhile. Other customers come and see I am not well. Mr. Grump comes and tells me not to worry, he is here. I wash my face, try to get well enough to go. He insists I not go alone, it is almost closing time. He has the cook sit with me then he walks me home and stays with me thru the night as I continue to think I might die. He sees me at my very worse. I am so glad not to be so sick and alone. I improve some by morning and can hold down an antinausea pill. I think I had food poisoning from a chicken sandwich I had for early lunch. He leaves and I say thank you, thank you. I go back that night at 9pm to say thanks again. He says he is off for 2 days and please come back on Tuesday to see him. He has not been home to see his daughter in several days because of the strike so he must go.

We were never apart after Tuesday. He is a Russian engineer speaks 4 languages but came to France after the economy fell to give his daughter a better life. He had a french grandmother so has french citizenship. His best friend owns the cafe, bar, tabac. They were friends and roomates at univerisity in Russia. We talked about life, love, children, sacrifice, marriage, death, religion, Puttin, Bush and Sarkosy.
We walked the Champs E. to see the lights, stolled by Notre Dame, did Christmas shopping for our families. I met his daughter and took her to Laduree. She thinks we are friends. She is 20 and very sweet. His wife left them both 5 years ago and returned to Russia.

It took all I could do to put one foot in front of the other to get on the plane...but I have a one way ticket returning on April 1st, his birthday. He says he will wait with great hope. "I never dream I will meet the woman who makes for me the sky always blue".

So tommorrow I go to Maui, start my job in Honolulu on Jan 7. I will enjoy my time with my son and reflect.

If I did not have this great great passion for travel and seeing the world, I would still be in Atlanta traffic working 2 jobs.

Anyone thinking of taking a timeout..please do it. It is priceless!!!

gg

Dec 17th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Wow! What a story! I'm not sure if I should hope that Maui is just as exciting or if you need complete rest after that.
Dec 17th, 2007, 09:19 AM

Wow! Awesome trip!

Being in love is great. And Paris a great place to have it happen. Good luck.
Dec 17th, 2007, 09:48 AM

It's like a romantic movie - and the romantic in me hopes everything is still roses when you return in April.

"I never dream I will meet the woman who makes for me the sky always blue". Sigh . . .

Probably a good thing you both have a little time to come back to earth, but, wow! What a wonderful experience.
Dec 21st, 2007, 09:15 AM

TTT for the weekend!
Dec 21st, 2007, 11:13 AM

If I'd just returned from Paris and was off to Maui I'd be very happy!

Can you fit anymore icing on the cake??
Dec 30th, 2007, 11:53 AM

ggnga, what a wonderful story!

I've thought of you often over the past couple of months, wondering how you were doing in Paris. Did you do your six days in Morocco as planned, or did this lovely sounding man change your mind?

As much as I envied your Paris trip and all the traveling you'll be doing in your new job, I envy you even more for finding love in the most romantic city in the world!

You say you're going back on a one way ticket in April? Then perhaps you'll still be there when I arrive with my sister in September, and we can get together again and enjoy a glass of wine and toast your wonderful new life.
Jan 5th, 2008, 01:26 AM
tod

Hi ggnga! I've been caught up in the Xmas rush and preparing for our little holiday over the festive period so missed your post - Well, what can I say!! I knew that new skinny figure wouldn't let them get away (LOL)! Good for you. I hope things go well in April - and like Travgina, maybe if you are still there in May I could introduce you to my husband and check this guy out at the same time?? We wil be in Paris 2nd-8th May on our way to the UK.
In the meantime do tell us about Morrocco & any more eating discoveries in Paris.
My best regards, Tod.
Feb 16th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Hello to you all. I am currently in Waikiki siince Jan 7. My job is nice. Have a great penthouse apt. overlooking Diamondhead and the Ocean furnished by the agency. I do not have to even pay for cable.
I have a big private terrace on the roof. Very nice but NOT PARIS !!!!

I am enjoyng time with my son and his girlfriend. We go to a Police concert and road race this weekend. Went whale watching in Maui but it IS NOT PARIS !!!!

I have my plans made to return to Paris on April 10. My contract here is not over until the 5th. I have found an apartment on rue Charenton for 900 euro per month. It is a studio. I will take it for 2 to 3 months and go from there. The owner's son is going to give me intense french lessons. I have also been working very hard with a new language program I got for Christmas. I still talk with M weekly. I have been reading and thinking a lot. I read something that knocked me over it was so simple...whatever life takes from you let it go. In the three months I traveled I learned to enjoy life daily and not worry it to death.

I have been focusing on my new job and being here so not on the board much. Thanks Gina and Tod I would love to meet up with you.

I really learned to love the Bastille area and am so thankful to find an apt. in the very same area near the cafe. They usually rent the apt. by the week but are willing to let me have a nice reduction for the longer term rental. I am going to do some day trips this time for sure. I will go to to Dijon and maybe to Brugge and Amsterdam for a few days.

I started reading trip reports today and I am so excited to be returning soon. People here in HI ask me what I find so special in France. I tell them how many know people that came here to Hawaii and fell in love with it and returned for life. They all know of several (my son is one of those who fell in love with Maui and followed his heart) so then they understand.

This has turned out very long. Sorry. I will try with all my heart, hard work and guts to make this plan work for me. I plan to work 3 months at a time when I have to and then return to France. I will probably apply for a long stay visa next year if things go ok. I want to be in Paris whether with M or without. This is very clear to me.

Bye for now. Happy travels to all. Go for it whatever it is.

gg

Feb 16th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Hello again,

I forgot to tell you about Morocco. I enjoyed it very very much. It was a good tour. 12 days with cosmos. Great mixz of people, all nations and ages. Very funny and informative guide. She had married and lived there for 20 years, from London. I was amazed at all the different areas, experiences in one country. The great Atlas Mountains, the souks, the camel ride in the desert. It was not oo tiring. We went at a decent pace. I had a very interesting roomate from Karashi (sp) Pakistan. She is a devout catholic and worked with the airlines for 20 years. she did flights with the PM, went to North Korea and many other very interesting places. they had minders everywhere they went. Great to share experiences with someone with such a different background. It was less than $700 for the tour, my flight on Air France from CDG was $305. I thought an excellent deal.

Bye,

gg
Feb 17th, 2008, 02:05 AM

Good to read your updates -- and I'm sure you'll have more Paris adventures to write later.
Feb 17th, 2008, 03:46 AM

I had not followed your adventures to this point, but this post caught my attention. Oh my goodness, what a story! So I went back and read up to the cliff hanger where your birthday was the next day and you were about to tell us the name of the cafe where you heard music and the cafe you had adopted. Did you ever tell?

I will be staying quite near there next month. I looked at the link to your apartment and realized it is on a passage where I took some photos the last time I was in Paris, two years ago. Looked like a very fun location.
Feb 17th, 2008, 09:19 AM

Hi ggnga,

So nice to read your latest post and find that you're enjoying your time in Hawaii. Had to smile at the "but its NOT PARIS!!" references! What is it about that city that makes one daydream about it and long to be there as much as we do?

Last weekend we locked in our flights for September, arriving in Paris the morning of the 24th, leaving the 30th. We'll be staying in a little studio apartment in the 4th, halfway between Centre Pompidou and Place des Vosges.

I really hope that we can meet up for a drink while there, and I know Tod is hoping for the same when she and her husband are there in May.

Keep us up-to-date on what is happening with you, as I'm loving hearing about your new life!

Feb 17th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Aloha Gina and all,

I never did give out the cafe names since I became otherwise occupied in Paris. I cannot remember the full name of either but I promise to give them when I return in April.

At this point I do not know when I will return. I have the apt. for at least two months with the option to continue if it suits both of us.
Of course there is the legal time to consider. Maybe I will have returned and come back again in September. I have one more ff mile trip in the bank of miles. Definitely want to see you and Tod.

Mahalo.

gg
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:43 AM
tod

Hi there ggnga! So lovely to read your update. We have had to change the dates of our Paris trip due to non-availability of airline seats and will now be crossing over from Dover to Calais on 16th May and are in Paris until 23rd.
Hoping that we can have a little GTG if it's at all possible.
Will watch out for further postings from you.
Travgina & I have been emailing each other and passing on interesting info on what to do in Paris - she wants to (like me) find the genuine authentic Wallace fountains. Most ones today are copies and it's easy to tell the difference if you know what to look for. There is a link on Wikipedia.
Till the next post - cheers!
Tod
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:07 AM

I do not know who you are, but, , you are my new hero! LOL

I don't even know why I clicked on this post( other then I also love Hawaii and can't imagine anyone lucky enough to be able to be in both place within a week,, ) , envy I suppose.

I think your story is so incrediblily romantic, I mean whats not to love about a fellow seeing you heave ho lunch and still wanting to get to know you better,..fate is interesting, hope to read more posts by you, as I sit in my kitchen, on an island off the west coast of Canada, inbetween picking one kid from school, and doing the dishes, ho hum,, but I do my part to indulge my desire to travel also. Paris this July,, and Rome and Venice,, but as you may note , it is always " Paris " first.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Hi tod, bozama and all,

Tod, we will definitely plan to get together in May. Think about a timeframe that will work for you and I will be there. M works all the time but hopefully could join.
Where are you going other than Paris?

I have seen some cheap train fares to Venice recently and have been thinking about a short trip there.
I plan to watch the prems and snatch some up for some small trips outside of Paris.

Bozama, thanks for the reply. My son just got engaged this weekend to a wonderful Canadian. She is a travel nurse who came to Hawaii and met him at the hospital where they both work. I know exactly what you mean about Paris first. It has been that way for me for years now.
As above, I am seriously thinking of a few days in Venice too. Maybe we could have a fodors GTG when you are in Paris if you could spare a couple of hours. Usually lots of folks traveling that time of year.

Bye for now.

gg